Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've just had a Project EV Charger installed. The installer was happy because it is easier to install most of the other chargers. Eventually I learned to switch it on and off manually so I'm not in danger of running out of charge. However, my attempts to programme the charger to come on for 4 hours starting at 1230 AM so that I can take advantage of the Octopus cheap rate without having to stay up all night have so far failed. I thought it was easy but I must have something wrong. I'm trying to set it in the evening before I go to bed, so I'm really trying to programme it for the next day - should I check the everyday box or not? Should the green ON button in the centre at the bottom of the screen be green or red? These sound very simple, but the "instruction" book is not very helpful!

·
Registered
38 Posts
You would have to set a 4 hours limit or a 30 kWh limit, although the system will actually not stop at this limit. BUG still there.
Then set the starting time at 0:30, don't need the 'every day' tick'ed unless you want that.
Only then press the ON button at the bottom.
Be prepared for failure to connect/set server failures just keep persevering.
Then, for your car set a stopping time of 04:30, or a charging time of 4 hours (app or screen/dash features). I have a Tesla M3 so I use the slider in the app to add approximately 120 miles.

The next day, press the OFF button in the app if needed to get your cable back.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
You would have to set a 4 hours limit or a 30 kWh limit, although the system will actually not stop at this limit. BUG still there.
Then set the starting time at 0:30, don't need the 'every day' tick'ed unless you want that.
Then, for your car set a stopping time of 04:30, or a charging time of 4 hours (app or screen/dash features). I have a Tesla M3 so I use the slider in the app to add approximately 120 miles.

Thanks very much. I've just connected the car to the charger, made sure that I could charge manually, then set the time for 4 hours and the start at 0030 - then pressed the green button. The app told me that the instruction had been executed successfully, and the charge displayed a yellow ring. Hopefully I will find in the morning that it switched on. Next step will be to check whether I got 4 hours - if not I'll work out how to set the charging on the car - an iPace.

Very many thanks.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks very much. I've just connected the car to the charger, made sure that I could charge manually, then set the time for 4 hours and the start at 0030 - then pressed the green button. The app told me that the instruction had been executed successfully, and the charge displayed a yellow ring. Hopefully I will find in the morning that it switched on. Next step will be to check whether I got 4 hours - if not I'll work out how to set the charging on the car - an iPace.

Very many thanks.
Success! The car was charged to 98% and 235 miles this morning, and the record page on the app suggested that the on/off times were precisely as programmed. I have actually written out the procedure I followed so that I can try to do it again when the car needs charging again.

Many thanks - your help was most valuable.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Hi, How do you find the Project EV charger together with Tesla M3 ? How is the app?
I am about to get my Tesla M3 and the app reviews are horrendous for this charger...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi, How do you find the Project EV charger together with Tesla M3 ? How is the app?
I am about to get my Tesla M3 and the app reviews are horrendous for this charger...
I'm still struggling with my Project EV charger. After a couple of successful programmed charges, I tried to use it overnight last night. The app kept saying that the charger was unavailable. Eventually I switched it on manually and charged the car. This morning the app sparked into life briefly; long enough to download the details of last nights charging. Then it went off again, and it still says that the charger is unavailable. If I could find a reliable charger I'd change like a shot - but everybody seems to have trouble. The installer is coming back to sort it out - but I'm getting fed up!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I can start a charge and its fine, but the installer put in the wrong electric rate.
my question is how to put in the pricing.
I did contact Octopus about the pricing - they assured me that my bill would be correct with all electricity used between 0030 and 0430 charged at 5p. They tried to update my monitor, but I don't really believe what it says. Now it says I've used £4.39 for electricity so far today, which is about 70p for general stuff and £3.69 for other things. My Project EV charger used 23.21 KWh between 0030 and 0430, and my washing machine could have used another 7 KWh max in the same time slot i.e. a maximum of about 30 KWh at 5p, £1.50 rather than £3.69. So far I have nor interrogated my bill to check whether the energy used between 0030 and 0430 agrees with the charger's records for the EV and my estimates of washing machine use.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I'm still struggling with my Project EV charger. After a couple of successful programmed charges, I tried to use it overnight last night. The app kept saying that the charger was unavailable. Eventually I switched it on manually and charged the car. This morning the app sparked into life briefly; long enough to download the details of last nights charging. Then it went off again, and it still says that the charger is unavailable. If I could find a reliable charger I'd change like a shot - but everybody seems to have trouble. The installer is coming back to sort it out - but I'm getting fed up!
I've had a few problems with my recently installed Project EV Charger. The installer thought that the wifi signal by my garage was too weak and installed a wired connection. So after a bit I moved the BT disc which I'd placed as close to the garage as possible back to the dining room - then I found the charger was unavailable. It appears for some reason the charger had defaulted back to wifi which it was getting from the disc after all, so when I moved the disc I lost the charger from my network. We learned that the charger prefers to use wifi, so we fed the wired connection to a wifi thingy in the garage and the charger now has its own dedicated wifi supply. That was OK for a bit, but last weekend I found I couldn't use the Project EV charger at all; I couldn't decide whether it was the car or the charger at fault so asked for help from Jaguar Assistance. It turned that the car and the charger were both OK - the problem was me! My charger is on a wall at 90 degrees to my garage door, and I have to park the car close to the wall - but in squeezing between the car and the wall I must have tugged on the cable just enough to pull it out by 2 - 3mm from the socket on the charger - it looked OK but wasn't. The other thing I had not appreciated is that when you try to connect the car to the charger you have to plug the cable into the charger first, then into the car. The car does a handshake with the charger, and if everything is OK charging should start. However, if everything is not OK - maybe you have set the charger for a programmed charge, or the charger thinks it you need a cheap rate tariff, or whatever - you have to disconnect the cable from the charging port on the car, reset things, then plug the cable back into the car. If you leave the cable in the charge port and reset things it won't work - the handshake only happens after you have plugged the cable into the car, so it is really necessary to take the plug out and put it back in to trigger the handshake. My iPace just displays "initialising" on the dashboard if things are not right - if I go through the unplugging routine after I have made sure that everything is OK the dashboard display tells me that it is charging. Sometimes I have to have two or three goes until charging starts. I also find that I need to make sure that the Project EV charger is charging manually for a few seconds, then switch it off through the app on my phone, before I input the charging time and start time for a programmed charge. Then when I press the green button at the bottom of the app I get a message to say that the instruction has been received and the times for the programme are shown.
I must say that the iPace handbook doesn't give enough information about the handshake and the need to unplug the cable and start again if things don't work first time; the instruction leaflet with the Project EV charger is useless. However, now that have had a few lessons from my electrician and Jaguar Assistance plus input from this forum I'm getting more confident. Last Wednesday/Thursday I was away from home and needed to charge the car to get back for the first time. The pub where I stayed had a charger and it worked at the third attempt. Both Friday night and last night I successfully programmed a 4 hour slot (at 5p per unit) and charged up to 90% on Thursday night and to 100% last night without any problems.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I'm still relying on the Tesla app to tell how many miles to add to charge within the 4 hours Octopus Go Faster window. Occasionally go over for a few kWh however that's no problem atm, but might be when the current contract needs renewing in Jan 2033

·
Registered
20 Posts
I've just had a Project EV installed and I was also having issues getting the charger connecting to the app. With a bit of tinkering I got it working perfectly 99% of the time.

For reference: I use a pair of powerline adapters where the brick in the garage doubles as a WiFi point that the charger connects to.

Left to its own devices, DHCP on the router assigned an IP address to the charger and it kept on dropping and reassigning over and over. On my router I have a range of fixed IP addresses for various devices like my desktop, so I expanded the range to include the WiFi Module in the charger (it'll be listed by your router as "mysinplelink"). Give that a fixed IP and wait for your router to restart.

You can also visit this now fixed IP Address in the browser and use the username and password "admin" and "admin", and you'll see the operating system for the wireless module which is separate from the charger's main OS.

Hope that helps for the future! I can even communicate with the charger when I'm on 4G away from the house now.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Hi did you find out how to change the rate correctly? It’s in the app parameter setting. Although I think Ive put wrong rate in as last nights charge was a bit expensive😜
settings
parameter setting
rate
then add/edit/delete as necessary
save

this will let the app calculate the cost of the charge, but you are not able to export this data, or to show anything useful like a monthly total so it is of little value.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.