Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I spent a happy hour or so sat in the car on our drive yesterday trying to come to grips with the Infotainment system. We'd not done so before. I've a couple of queries:

1) Is there any way of only transferring certain contacts from my Samsung phone to the car? Or editing the list once it's there? I don't want my entire list of several hundred contacts showing up in the car. It's next to unusable, and I only have a half a dozen or so people that I'm ever likely to call while in transit.

2) Playing around with the satnav, it seems as though the audio system has to play in the background while navigating. Is this right? Can it be muted? I don't often play music in the car but always switch it off in the "terminal navigation phase" while threading my way through traffic in an unknown town or city. So far the only way I have found to mute the audio is to play an MP3 from USB and pause the track. Not ideal and a little flaky - sometimes it restarts apparently off its own bat.

I appreciate that there's a parallel ecology out there by using Android Auto, but even that isn't readily providing what I want, and voice calling is entirely reliant on internet access, as I understand it. Not ideal in Wales.

Any suggestions? Or pointers to other threads if I 've missed something?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
If you install android auto then the infotainment screen becomes like a second screen in your phone, so you can talk to it and say "ok Google"... "call Jim Smith". You need a good USB cable and plug into the right socket, not the one whose label might suggest a data port.

If you don't use the cable you can use the infotainment like a Bluetooth headset. When I paired my phone it asked if I wanted to download my contacts

·
Registered
308 Posts
If you are playing music or the radio or music on a USB stick the satnav will mute those when it gives directions. If you don't want to have any music in the background I find its easiest to ensure that the infotainment unit is set to pause any music or last played podcast for example. Now you will only hear the satnav directions. If you simply mute the radio using the left hand central button on the steering wheel, when the satnav gives directions the radio comes on again after the directions have been given.

Initially I could not hear any directions from the satnav and realised that the satnav voice volume is set separately to the radio/podcast/ect volume. You need to wait until the directions are given and quickly adjust the volume at that time. Flakey? Yes.

I use Apple CarPlay and could not upload all my contacts. On an iPhone if you have your contacts in groups, you can upload the group only to the car using bluetooth. There may be a memory or time limit on the number of contacts that can be uploaded at one time. Generally I use the USB connected phone and CarPlay to access all my contacts.

Using Apple CarPlay it uses the phone signal to make calls, not internet access.

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
If you don't use the cable you can use the infotainment like a Bluetooth headset. When I paired my phone it asked if I wanted to download my contacts
Yes, that's the trouble. It's downloaded hundreds and hundreds of them. :(

·
Registered
144 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If you don't want to have any music in the background I find its easiest to ensure that the infotainment unit is set to pause any music or last played podcast for example. Now you will only hear the satnav directions.
I suppose that is what I'm doing - pausing MP3 playback. OK, if there's no other way, c'est la vie.
Initially I could not hear any directions from the satnav and realised that the satnav voice volume is set separately to the radio/podcast/ect volume. You need to wait until the directions are given and quickly adjust the volume at that time. Flakey? Yes.
That's a pest. I'll bear it in mind. Thank you. I have a vague feeling that I stumbled on a screen to set the volume of various outputs from the satnav while looking through. I'll try and find it again. Perhaps the directions were one of the options.

On an iPhone if you have your contacts in groups, you can upload the group only to the car using bluetooth.
I don't keep my contacts in groups. Perhaps I should try that and see what happens. My contacts list is long overdue for some housekeeping anyway. This may be the spur!

Using Apple CarPlay it uses the phone signal to make calls, not internet access.
I should have been clearer. I meant "voice dialling". Sorry. It seemed like an option if I couldn't cut the list down. It worked but I believe the phone passes my voice commands to a Google server somewhere for interpretation, which needs internet access.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts