Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A local outfit that will install a charge point for me have narrowed their install options down to either the Project EV or Zappi. As far as I can tell the Project EV is a rebadged Chinese brand with a poor app that offers no meaningful integration with anything.... Can anyone tell me otherwise?

It's a bit frustrating because the Zappi is expensive, and really seems to be best for users with Solar. I've considered a command socket and Ohme cable, but these folk won't install that for me :( however I can't even get anyone else to return my calls, let alone come and take a look at the slightly challenging install. Electrician seems to be the business to be in right now.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Your summary is very fair. The support for Solar is very poor as well but it does work. The amount of light emitted by the unit is much higher than the normal - I find it useful as it is effectively a low wattage floodlight for my car at night but I can imagine if we had nearer neighbours it would annoy them, and it certainly advertises its presence. Another plus is that the internal layout makes it simple to add wiring for an digital switch to integrate with Agile.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
York area.

The issue I've run into is it being a non-standard install. I've had a couple of electricians come round but they end up too busy to do it, either because they genuinely are or don't want the job. It isn't all that challenging to be honest, but involves a long run and taking the cable across the neighbours property. The installers who are offering the Project EV charger are very responsive and inspire confidence, I just don't think I want the unit they're offering. I suppose worst case I could go with it and use an Ohme type 2 cable... but that just adds cost.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Can you not run the cable yourself or by a general handyman/builder and then just get the Spark to terminate the ends? Most Sparks aren't too keen on the general building work, particularly if it is potentially difficult.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Certainly considered that, the biggest issue is time as I'm working away from home a lot at the moment, might change in the coming months.... the job gets easier in winter too with less foliage to contend with.

·
Registered
7,179 Posts
.................................. but involves a long run and taking the cable across the neighbours property.
This bit might be causing some to walk away. Could involve some kind of legal waiver to cover future maintenance. In your circumstances, I would be tempted to contact one of the many nationwide installers as they have a list of approved installers to cover all areas and they will accept instructions to keep their contract going. Might involve a lot of photos and videos of the proposed install route and an explanation of the neighbours' involvement but that route will give you a better choice of charger units.

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
Ohme also do a "proper" wallbox dont they? Everyone goes with the Commando version as Octopus are selling them for £200, but they also have a normal hard wired wall mounted unit which is OLEV approved.

·
Short term PHEV
2020 i3
693 Posts
York area.

The issue I've run into is it being a non-standard install. I've had a couple of electricians come round but they end up too busy to do it, either because they genuinely are or don't want the job. It isn't all that challenging to be honest, but involves a long run and taking the cable across the neighbours property. The installers who are offering the Project EV charger are very responsive and inspire confidence, I just don't think I want the unit they're offering. I suppose worst case I could go with it and use an Ohme type 2 cable... but that just adds cost.
Which side of York are you in?

Are you able to share what you’ve been quoted before additional works?

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
I didn't think that Ohme includes support for Solar?

·
Registered
2,205 Posts
True, it doesnt.

I guess the question is, does your use and charging profile mean that charging from solar is likely? If the cars out all day because your at work, the Zappi isnt going to help you much.

·
Registered
87 Posts
A local outfit that will install a charge point for me have narrowed their install options down to either the Project EV or Zappi. As far as I can tell the Project EV is a rebadged Chinese brand with a poor app that offers no meaningful integration with anything.... Can anyone tell me otherwise?
I've recently had a Project EV charger fitted (nothing to plug into it yet, but that's another story...). When I was getting quotes, the guy that I spoke to basically said that the key features list for Project EV are "cheap", "simple" and "5 year warranty", and it's great if you just want a box that you plug into and hit go, but not so great if you want to do anything fancy. I've not used it in anger yet, but looking around the app, I'm inclined to agree with him.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
109 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ohme also do a "proper" wallbox dont they? Everyone goes with the Commando version as Octopus are selling them for £200, but they also have a normal hard wired wall mounted unit which is OLEV approved.
Yes they do, I don't have solar and it isn't particularly viable for me to get it, so not a concern. Trouble with the Ohme wall box is the EVSE will end up either mounted on a wooden fence or a post of some sort. Looking at the mountings for the Ohme wall charger, but without seeing any sort of install instructions, it looks like it really does need to be on a wall. The attraction of the commando version is I have at least one other location where I can use a commando socket.... Of course I may just buy one anyway at £200 through Octopus.

Which side of York are you in?

Are you able to share what you’ve been quoted before additional works?
East, actually across the border into the East Riding. Yep, I will do, once I have actual quotes.

·
Registered
809 Posts
The Ohme is not a bad choice if you are on Go/Agile with the bonus that if it was sunny just start the car charging on the Ohme app? Say you bought a Zappi... would it ever pay back?

·
Registered
40 Leaf
152 Posts

It's a bit frustrating because the Zappi is expensive, and really seems to be best for users with Solar. I've considered a command socket and Ohme cable, but these folk won't install that for me :( however I can't even get anyone else to return my calls, let alone come and take a look at the slightly challenging install. Electrician seems to be the business to be in right now.
Hi I have charged on street in my Cul-de-sac for the past 15 months daily.

I tested the waters with a BMW plug in and I was able to charge so consistently I changed to a leaf about 9 weeks ago.

My point being, no one would have installed me a charge point because I technically don’t have anywhere to charge! 🤣

So my only option was to install a 32A Ceeform (commando) on the front of my property and see how it went.

All you really need is to run a 6mm armoured cable from your distribution board and install a 40A RCBO (assuming you have a modern distribution board) and put a 32A connector on the other end.

Any sparky will do this for you, they done even need to know you intend to use it to charge a car really, it’s just having a 32A outlet installed as far as they are concerned, you could just as easily be plugging a hot tub into it as a car it matters not.

You can then take your pick of whatever portable charger you want to use to charge your car.

Don’t get too hung up on whether the charger has an app.

Any decent EV has an app nowadays that will allow you to monitor the charge progress, set a delay timer on when you want the charge time to start / end and departure time to climatise in time mornings.

·
Registered
196 Posts
York area.

York you say.....

·
Registered
196 Posts
If you want the solar and something that looks half decent (well superb tbh) it’s the Andersen.

I don’t know what car your getting but the polestar, apparently, doesn’t have a scheduler.

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Any decent EV has an app nowadays that will allow you to monitor the charge progress, set a delay timer on when you want the charge time to start / end and departure time to climatise in time mornings.
There's a lot of rubbish out there then .....

·
Registered
4,336 Posts
Duplicate, and it wasn't that good.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts