Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I have the Project EV Charger and have been able to get the WiFi setup so I can see the charger in my network and I can click on it. When I then go to the app in order to finish off the connection, I click on 'connected - next' it just times out after one minute. So I can never get to the parameter settings stage. The charger wifi is showing as connected but I can never get any further than this. Has anyone else has this issue and discovered a solution? I've tried googling but can't find anything on this particular topic.

Thank you

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi

I have the Project EV Charger and have been able to get the WiFi setup so I can see the charger in my network and I can click on it. When I then go to the app in order to finish off the connection, I click on 'connected - next' it just times out after one minute. So I can never get to the parameter settings stage. The charger wifi is showing as connected but I can never get any further than this. Has anyone else has this issue and discovered a solution? I've tried googling but can't find anything on this particular topic.

Thank you
I’m having the same issue at the moment. Did you find a solution?

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40, 2018
215 Posts
Have you tried connecting from a PC or laptop on your network to the Project EV's address:

That should give you access to the configuration panel where you can set any of the parameters you need.

(And you might do better starting a new thread (or resurrecting an old one) on the "Home Charger Reviews" section, so that you are talking specifically with people with Project EV chargepoints, rather than to the whole EV world on this general section.)

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Have you tried connecting from a PC or laptop on your network to the Project EV's address:

That should give you access to the configuration panel where you can set any of the parameters you need.
Does the thing always use that address or is that just the address it picked up on your network?
It seems an unusual way to be going about things as usually you would be connecting to a device on its own WiFi network going to that address and then using the interface to configure its parameters such that it connects to your router or access point.
It should then pick up an address from the DHCP server (usually from the broadand router) so the address would vary from customer to customer.

Where people get lost uscwhen the device reboots and connects to the router and picks up a new IP address.

Gaz

·
Registered
2020 Kia eNiro 4.
53 Posts
When you reboot the Project charger it starts up its own wifi network for a short time. Disconnect your phone from your home wifi and connect to the Project wifi. Once connected you can set the parameters. The most important parameters are the network ID and Password. These are your home wifi ID and Password. After entering these set it to connect and wait for confirmation. Once done you can disconnect from the Project wifi and reconnect to your home wifi. The charger will now be visible on your home network where you can connect to it from the Project app. You can now change parameters from your home wifi rather than the Project wifi.

If you want to make the IP address static log into your router and select the charger (might be listed as 'mysimplelink' as Project use Netgear equipment) then tick the option to always use this IP address.

Azure Rectangle Font Screenshot Electronic device

This is my media streamer not the charger. :)

·
Registered
Nissan Leaf 40, 2018
215 Posts
Does the thing always use that address or is that just the address it picked up on your network?
Yes. The Project EV comes pre-configured with a static IP address of 192.168.1.5

It should then pick up an address from the DHCP server (usually from the broadand router) so the address would vary from customer to customer.
It doesn't request an IP address from a DHCP server. It just uses the pre-configured static address. It is possible to change the IP address in the Project EV's configuration, but most punters will just leave that alone and leave it with the static 192.168.1.5. It is then easy to access the configuration from any device on your home network.

The OP has already said that he or she "can see the charger in my network and I can click on it". So he or she doesn't have any problem with the IP address or accessing the charge point. It is just the configuration that is the issue. There are examples from other Project EV users of the configuration screen in older threads.

The most important parameters are the network ID and Password. These are your home wifi ID and Password.
Yes. The best way to configure a Project EV is to connect it directly to your home network with an ethernet cable. Then you can set all the parameters, including telling it your home WiFi SSID and password, directly from a PC or laptop. But if you can't do that, then you have to go through the stage of connecting to the Project EV's own WiFi to tell it the SSID and password of your home network. After that, you never need to connect to the Project EV's own WiFi again. It will connect to your home network and you can continue as if it were connected with an ethernet cable.

·
Registered
3,961 Posts
Yes. The Project EV comes pre-configured with a static IP address of 192.168.1.5

It doesn't request an IP address from a DHCP server. It just uses the pre-configured static address. It is possible to change the IP address in the Project EV's configuration, but most punters will just leave that alone and leave it with the static 192.168.1.5. It is then easy to access the configuration from any device on your home network.

The OP has already said that he "can see the charger in my network and I can click on it". So he or she doesn't have any problem with the IP address or accessing the charge point. It is just the configuration that is the issue. There are examples from other Project EV users of the configuration screen in older threads.

Yes. The best way to configure a Project EV is to connect it directly to your home network with an ethernet cable. Then you can set all the parameters, including telling it your home WiFi SSID and password, directly from a PC or laptop. But if you can't do that, then you have to go through the stage of connecting to the Project EV's own WiFi to tell it the SSID and password of your home network. After that, you never need to connect to the Project EV's own WiFi again. It will connect to your home network and you can continue as if it were connected with an ethernet cable.
Thanks for the clarification.
Odd they chose that particular address as a fixed IP but J guess those who use a different subnet can easily change it.
There are a few routers where the pool starts at 2 so it's a possible conflict but as you say if the OP can ping it or connect to it and it then freezes when exiting the issue ulsewhere, in all probability he can get somewhere by clearing his Internet caches on the various browsers he's tried and gave another go after temporarily disabling his antivirus etc ifctgats preventing a script of something from running on exit.

Gaz

1 - 7 of 7 Posts