Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just had the usual marketing mail from Toolstation but noticed they now sell EV charge points.

The page is very light on details but it looks interesting, 3 models, 2 single phase, one for 349 then 399 if you add rfid then 1296 for 3 phase.

Looking at the manufacurer website it lists solar compatible and rcd type b equivelant.

i know most people would not self install or use an independent electrical because the grant but it seems a reasonable price for people like me who have a single charger already and therefore have all the hard work done with an extra CU and earth rod already in place and just want a second charger for a second EV.

·
Registered
77 Posts
It’s a good sign - shows charging equipment becoming more of a commodity item. Just like Screwfix selling granny chargers which I noticed the other day - becoming less niche all the time.

I imagine those Project chargers will have appeal for workplace / destination charging for smaller businesses - the RFID card option seems to have that kind of use in mind

·
Registered
147 Posts
Out of stock for collection and delivery, which with Toolstation usually means you can’t order the item. These might be different because I doubt demand is yet high enough for them to hold in stock.

seems a reasonable price for people like me who have a single charger already and therefore have all the hard work done with an extra CU and earth rod already in place and just want a second charger for a second EV.
I thought you could get a second grant for the additional charger if you can demonstrate 2 EVs at the house.

Also, unless you future proofed the extra CU with a 63A feed, you can’t connect a second charger to it. You’re not permitted any diversity with EV supplies unless they are interlocked to prevent them both being used together. (Reg 722.311)

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
Looks like a supply only price to me - would be eligible for the grant if an OLEV accredited installer was fitting it though it seems
The charging point also has to be approved by OLEV (which the one being discussed is I believe) and the installer has to supply it.

I agree be better if grant was for a voucher towards installation costs and there was just a marketplace to buy charging points online, but that isn't how it works today.

Reactions: onlineo and Kiltox

·
Registered
77 Posts
Whole thing’s a mess really. I’m looking for a home charger install and I’m not eligible for the OLEV grant - struggle to find anyone interested as a result!

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
There is a company offering the unit fully installed with grant from £382 which seems a good price these days, especially as OLEV mandate a 3 year warranty. As mentioned above, if you have two EVs you can get a second grant - I did and others on here have too.

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
Whole thing’s a mess really. I’m looking for a home charger install and I’m not eligible for the OLEV grant - struggle to find anyone interested as a result!
That makes no sense as it is taking 6 months for them to get payment from OLEV at present. They should be biting your hand off for a non-grant install.

Where are you and who have you tried? Generally a local installer will be cheaper as less travel, etc.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts