Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I recently acquired a 2014 Q210 Zoe, my wife has recently started driving and likes my Leaf so we wanted something super cheap but still pretty sorted for her first car.

We “stole” it from someone who has recently moved to Australia and left his farther in law to sell it (who knew nothing about it).

They basically just wanted rid so advertised it at a daft price.

Anyway I digress, it’s actually a pretty sorted car for a whisker over £4K so feeling pretty smug right now.

It however has a few issues, it definitely needs a BMS update as CanZE is reporting 71% SOH and it spent the best part of 3 hours at 99% balancing tonight, so that’s a small battle to be had with the dealer.

The other bits I’m quite looking forward to sorting myself as it’s a bit nostalgic to bring an older car back to factory fresh! 😀

It has a knock / creak on the front end on uneven ground, as it had new ball joints about 6 months ago so am going to break out the axel stands and replace the drop links / anti roll bar bushes, I recon that will be sorted then.

It also has lost its inner charging flap, some time ago judging by the state of the type 2 socket, I’m amazed it still works, it’s pretty grotty.

As the bracket that retained it is totally snapped and all the bits are missing, and the contacts are corroded and filthy in the charge socket my plan is to replace the whole type 2 and wiring harness the with one I have ordered from the breakers:

I’ve had a good look at this and it’s a pretty easy swap, I’m in 2 minds about whether to pull the main battery isolator to do this, it’s on the AC side and it’s isolated from everything is totally dead until it’s done it’s handshake with an EVSE so in theory I should just be able to unplug it from the stack and plug the new one in having disconnect the ground from the 12v first.

It only plugs in in these two spots:

Can anyone enlighten me here?

There are also a couple of black pigtails at the type 2 end one of them I believe powers the glowing “EV” symbol status light above the socket and the other one looks like it drives the PDWN speaker is this correct?

BTW I’m not a total Muppet I have done lots of electrical installation including working with 3 phase in the past (don’t try this at home kids) 😉

·
Registered
Renault Zoe Intens Q210 22kw 2013
425 Posts
good idea changing the droplinks and either lubricating the anti roll bar bushes with silicone spray or replace.

Yes i would lock out the HV with the switch under the drivers feet carpet (RHD) if that were me. (disconnect 12v battery first)

A popular thing the type 2 socket flap breaking off on older Zoe's (when it gets stiff is the time to spray wd40 on the shafts) but when broke off fully I think a BMW i3 cap can replace and RZOC do a cap to cover socket for 15 quid:

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yes i would lock out the HV with the switch under the drivers feet carpet (RHD) if that were me. (disconnect 12v battery first)
Thanks!

Is there any set procedure for doing this or is it just a matter of disconnect the 12v then pull the HV safety?

Most people also don’t seem to bother with HV gloves from the videos I’ve seen when removing the HV interlock judging by how well insulated that component is it seems like overkill IMO.

I also don’t anticipate ever needing a set again once I have replaced this harness.

·
Registered
425 Posts
Thanks!

Is there any set procedure for doing this or is it just a matter of disconnect the 12v then pull the HV safety?

Most people also don’t seem to bother with HV gloves from the videos I’ve seen when removing the HV interlock judging by how well insulated that component is it seems like overkill IMO.

I also don’t anticipate ever needing a set again once I have replaced this harness.
well renault garages would have you believe that to remove that HV interlock you would have to wear PPE consisting of goggles (in case of sparks in your eyes) 500v DC rated rubber gloves and other attire - maybe it is better be safe than sorry , but i never have had when i have powered down the HV system using that interlock (not to say that i am being safe not wearing that stuff - it is 380v DC in that area and any other 'orange' areas of the Zoe so be careful and do at your own risk ⚡

I disconnect the negative lead on the 12v battery under the bonnet , then only when every thing is switched off in the car (thats the dash, the radio etc) then and only then remove the HV interlock (you dont want any sparks or anything or risk of malfunction ) - i personally leave it around 10 minutes after removing the negative off the 12v battery before locking out the HV ... (I think renault may wait 30 minutes) and then maybe an hour or something if they are working on the orange stuff under the bonnet like orange cables and the PEB / BCB and any high voltage stuff for the electric to drain away - if your replacing that type 2 socket as you say , power is not at that socket normally until handshaking and checks are performed and in any case the middle pins of socket is 240V AC (L/E/N) - (top 2 little pins are just signal for the handshaking) and the lower 2 pins of the socket would be 3 phase (for 43kw fast charging on q210 Zoe)

good luck with your project(s) - and stay safe ! ⚡⚡

·
Registered
2017 Renault Zoe R90 Signature Nav
256 Posts
Thanks!

About 6 months ago I had an issue with the connection to the app...(standard for Renault) I pulled the HV interlock under the drivers feet on my driveway without any gloves etc. Left the car like that for about an hour, reconnected the HV cable and that was it. The whole car including the sat nav etc systems rebooted and My app problem got resolved and never had an issue afterwards.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,046 Posts
Is £4k a steal for private sale? Sounds about right for regular sale.

Have you completed the RCI paperwork, as its a 2014 car it WILL have battery lease.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Is £4k a steal for private sale? Sounds about right for regular sale.

Have you completed the RCI paperwork, as its a 2014 car it WILL have battery lease.
Well it was registered 31/12/2014 so the only thing that’s 2014 about it is the plate.

I have filled out the battery lease transfer form but I intend to pay this off after about 12 months.

It only has 33k miles on the clock, and is totally immaculate cosmetically inside and out and has a full dealer service history.

It has 4 brand new Michelin tyres, new front brake disks and pads a few months ago and front suspension ball joints, it has just had a major service (the one with the extortionate brake fluid change) and its a dynamique Intens so all the toys fitted with rear camera.

If you search for this model variant on autotrader they are all £5k + and most have over 50k miles on the clock, I’ve paid 20% less.

All things considered I think I could have done a lot worse. 😃

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
How much is it to buy out the battery ?
I haven’t asked the question yet as I haven’t even received the battery lease paperwork, from my research I’m expecting it to be circa £2.5k.

This question has made me think.....

Once I have tidied up the suspension and replaced the charge port and if you really want to split hairs replaced all the wiper blades with Bosch ones and put some new mats in and paid off the battery lease it will owe me just shy of £6800.

That’s a seriously cheap EV!

The thing I like about the Zoe when you look at a comparable leaf aside the fact that it is infinitely better looking IMHO of course is that you can charge the Q210 at 43kW so any polar or decent podpoint will only take 30 minutes.

Compared to an earlier leaf many had only A 3.3kW charger as memory serves and CHAdeMo and 6.6kW was an option.

The earlier Leafs also are a lottery trying to find a decent battery, as the Zoe is actively cooled this is not really such an issue.

Makes the Zoe a bit of a no brainer really when it comes to budget EV’s

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Yes you are. After the BMS update it will show the true SOH.
I did a reset 2 days ago at 100% SOC (both pedals depressed drivers door open then hold the bottom arrow on the wiper stalk) the GOM jumped from 60 miles to 98 I have driven it for 2 days like it’s an EV not an ICE as the previous owner undoubtedly did and it’s now stabilised at 82 when fully charged.

That’s much closer to the true range.

Im going to wait until my battery lease comes through before I go and see Renault and ask for the update, when they give me the price I’m going to say “ok my SOH is 71% can you contact Renault and request that they repair or replace my battery then?”

·
Registered
448 Posts
If they are going to replace the battery under warranty and you can buy it out at that price that's great.

Are they likely to do that on a 7 year old car though ?

Will a firmware restore significant amounts of capacity ? I thought updates only made around 10% extra battery life available. It's simply reducing the amount of safety buffer on the battery. Actual battery degradation is permanent.

No manufacturers are offering battery leases now. They were not popular at all, they could mask the cost when the car was leased initially but it was near enough impossible to sell battery lease cars second hand. Dealers had to buy out the batteries so they could be sold.

The price seems to reflect the fact the battery needs buying out and the car needed essential repairs .It's very difficult to sell battery lease cars privately so no surprise they wanted shut of it especially with the damaged charging port etc.

·
Zoe Devotee
9,046 Posts
Guaranteed Renault will want to apply the BMS update, you really need to get a dongle and download the fantastic CanZE and check the version of the BMS. Make sure its the old one, if its already been updated then then I wouldn't accept another BMS update. I'd want the pack repaired properly.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Guaranteed Renault will want to apply the BMS update, you really need to get a dongle and download the fantastic CanZE and check the version of the BMS. Make sure its the old one, if its already been updated then then I wouldn't accept another BMS update. I'd want the pack repaired properly.
I did that on Tuesday but I’m not sure which version is the old / new one.

Here are the screenshots do you have any idea?

·
Zoe Devotee
9,046 Posts

Looks like your somewhere in between the bad one and the "fixed" one. Probably worth asking for the update.

·
Registered
616 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Thanks @Sandy, I’ll do some more digging and see if I can figure out what software version I have and which is the latest.

I have now replaced the charge port, and the good news is that despite not feeling the need to dress like a member of bomb disposal to remove the HV interlock I lived to tell the tale and the car still works..... RESULT! 😂

It was a bit fiddly but a fairly easy swap, the hardest part was figuring out how to disconnect the main connector to the harness without damaging any of the clips.

Are they likely to do that on a 7 year old car though ?
The car is 6 years and 3 months old, so it still has 21 months left on its battery warranty, and Renault warranties the pack at 75% capacity for a duration of 8 years so yes it’s still totally covered by the manufacturer.

it was near enough impossible to sell battery lease cars second hand.
The market seems to be becoming increasingly buoyant for the older EV’s now, if you only have a budget of £5k for a used one but can afford the £60 - £100 monthly cost of the lease they are quite an attractive proposition for the right buyer, especially as you are likely to save this in fuel.

I think the reason battery lease cars struggled some years ago is partly due to the high cost of these cars meant they were purchased by the more affluent folks simply because they could afford them.

The world is becoming more environmentally aware and EV’s are all of a sudden everywhere.

They are filtering down to the lower end of the car market slowly and a battery lease on a 14 Zoe makes it more accessible to these buyers.

I purchased this one for my wife as she would not have wanted to jump into a £20k + EV having just started driving.

Let’s face it in the EV world £7k for a car is buttons.

If she inadvertently reverses it into a bollard in a couple of months time we really won’t care too much, I wouldn’t really want her to do that I’m my Leaf though it’s still worth around £20k.

especially with the damaged charging port etc.
The weather cap on the Zoe is quite a common failure point, most people just stick the rubber bung from an i3 over them, my charging port still worked perfectly, I could have cleaned it up and done this but I wanted to return the car to factory spec so I chose to replace this part with one from the breakers. It wasn’t a requirement.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,559 Posts
Nice you had a good deal! Few remarks:
  • The BMW cap @Andy-Zoé-User mentioned is 10 quid and works might fine if you can get yourself to walking into BMW dealership to order a part. I would recommend it over what you're planning to do.
  • The creak is standard Renault. Your plan should work.
  • As for the HV disconnect remarks, I am sorry if I sound offensive, but I disagree. "The dealer wants you to believe", ehm, yeah. Allow me to quote myself:

As for safety disconnecting the HV interlock. It's really perfectly safe if all is working as it should. They don't use all the mandatory protection gear because they expect the car to throw molten copper every time you disconnect it. They do because it can when something is wrong, and when it does it's too late. I bet no mechanic really enjoys the gearing up "for nothing". If it's still not clear: it's exactly the same as the safety hooks antenna tower climbers use.

·
Registered
425 Posts
As for safety disconnecting the HV interlock. It's really perfectly safe if all is working as it should. They don't use all the mandatory protection gear because they expect the car to throw molten copper every time you disconnect it. They do because it can when something is wrong, and when it does it's too late. I bet no mechanic really enjoys the gearing up "for nothing". If it's still not clear: it's exactly the same as the safety hooks antenna tower climbers use.
is there anything documented anywhere where this has actually happened .. or very nearly happened? - I understand that employees have to be protected for the eventuality or 'just in case' but i also understand how crazy health and safety has gone these days - bonkers in places

1 - 20 of 32 Posts