Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A piece in this weeks West Highland Free Press, reports that the Comhairle nan Eilean Siar (Western Isles Council), are proposing a flat rate £6 fee for charging at their charge points commencing in April. It also says by the end of March they will have a network of 19, public charging points in the Western Isles. Connection has been free up to now.

·
Registered
2,077 Posts
Generally I'd be inclined to prefer a per-kWh charge to a flat rate. But paying for charging is inevitable - let's hope it incentivises them to keep the charge points well maintained.

Reactions: richtrash

·
The best there is at what I do
10,681 Posts
Flat rate charging for charging is pants, there is too much variance in charging rates especially if there are fast and rapid chargers.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
Unbelievable that they are bringing in a regressive form of taxation. I believe that energy usage should be charged for, but that it should be done in a progressive manner and that any form of incentive to live in certain areas should be done in a different way than EV charging. Is there a cost difference in undertaking charging on a flat basis rather than unit basis?

·
Registered
304 Posts
Proposing a flat rate for EV charging just shows how the government and local councils are so out of touch with reality! They really need to consult more with EV users and to introduce a standard charge rate per kWh.

The ChargePlace Scotland network is in place and in time it would be very easy to have a standard rate per kWh across that whole network. I am not against a reasonable charge per kWh if this leads to improved charging infrastructure and it's maintenance. NOT flat rate charging however.

At the moment Dumfries & Galloway charge 25p/kWh with a £1.50 minimum charge. East Lothian charges 30p/kWh on the rapid and 16p/kWh on the 22kW with a minimum £1.00 fee.

Under the proposal, if you are taking on 20kWh then that is equivalent to 30p/kWh so a reasonable charge. If you take less than 20kWh then effectively its a profit making/tax raising operation.

The real problem however is that chargers will be hogged by people who are wanting their £6 worth and will stay there till the vehicle is at 100% charge. They won't be stopping for a quick top up (thus allowing others to more efficiently use the charger network).

Come on Scottish Government and Scottish Councils, if you are to introduce a charge, please standardise a charging rate per kWh across ChargePlace Scotland and a parking notice indicating a maximum of 45 minutes while charging!

It would help too if all rapids cut out off after say 60 minutes of charging, or when the vehicle battery reached 85%.

·
Registered
1,939 Posts
What is needed is a dual price charging.
Say 20p per kWh.
OR
4p a minute,*
whichever is the highest.

So slow chargers pay a flat per minute fee.
People can sip and go.
Really fast charging cars pay for what they get.
And people who overstay get an effective overstay fee.

*adjust depending on the maximum rapid speed. (and note this will effect user who charge slower then X rate)

·
Registered
1,197 Posts
A flat fee will encourage people to stay on for longer than is necessary or useful ( e.g. >90% on a rapid, where AC would be just as useful).
If there is a flat fee, then rapids should cut off below 7kW

·
Registered
2,272 Posts
The one thing that any charging point owner/operator can guarantee when charges are introduced/changed is that it will generate a lot of comment, and divide the EV owner community. Sadly, there isn’t a single charging policy that will suit the particular needs of every EV/PHEV owner - unless, of course, every charging point was unrestricted and free.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Problem with flat rate is that it makes people want to roll up with 2% and charge for 4+ hours to get their money's worth out of it. If it's per minute or per kWh they might leave after an hour.

Problem with time/kWh charging is that it costs a lot more. You have to have a meter and it has to be accurate.

·
Registered
3,425 Posts
Sure but it has to be tied in to the payment system. You will need another box to take the pulses and covert to price and then talk to the payment terminal.

What's the rule on meter accuracy? That's type 1 which I think it's 1% from memory. It's it enough for this kind of vending? It's been a while since I was in the loop.

·
Registered
4,759 Posts
The ChargePlace Scotland network is in place and in time it would be very easy to have a standard rate per kWh across that whole network. I am not against a reasonable charge per kWh if this leads to improved charging infrastructure and it's maintenance. NOT flat rate charging however.

At the moment Dumfries & Galloway charge 25p/kWh with a £1.50 minimum charge. East Lothian charges 30p/kWh on the rapid and 16p/kWh on the 22kW with a minimum £1.00 fee.
I'm not defending it, but this will relate to the charging being done by the individual local authorities who each have a different cost structure within their finance departments, all likely inefficient and poorly negotiated with their provider. A Rapid DC costs a lot more to purchase and maintain than an AC and this needs to be paid for somehow.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts