Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,

When I had a Nissan Leaf for a test drive, it came with a black heavy type 1 to type 2 charging cable (still coiled with most of the length bound with what looked like blue/green insulation tape - which I had to cut for the full length to reach an awkward charging spot).

I'm looking at buying a second hand Leaf which only comes with the "granny" cable (the dealer said only after 2016 did Nissan bundle both cables), and therefore would need to buy a type 1 to type 2 cable - I've seen people here mention EV Connectors as a sensible place to buy from, e.g.

J1772 to 62196-2 16A EV Charging Cable / Plugs

My question is what's the benefits of the spiral cable (here 5m long, working length 3m, at £150 inc VAT) versus a plain cable of the same working length (here 3m at £132 inc VAT), or a longer plain cable?

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
I’ve been considering this, one possible benefit for me is that a plain cable would potentially just lie on the floor at one point unless it just happened to be the right length, whereas a spiral would remain above the ground even if it was a bit too long. I’m waiting for my car and charger so I can then measure accurately.

The downside I think is that a spiral would take up more space.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,533 Posts
Spiral cables will always try to retract to their shortest length so will end up suspended in mid air between car and charger, a normal cable will lay flat on the ground and can be routed out of the way as much as possible, I'd go for a plain 5 mtr cable, I got an orange one so people would see it and hopefully not trip over it.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Ah - that makes sense, so the spiral cables ought to minimise being a trip hazard by hanging knee high off the ground? That could be handy to avoid injuring our postman if we go for the simplest location for a home charger...

On the other hand, with a normal cable I could use a cover as suggested here:
Charging cable trip hazard?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
sprial cable creates an obstruction, and the whole weight of the cable ends up hanging off the socket on either end. My car came with one, and i dont use it at all, put it in the cupboard out the way. Horrible thing.

Go for a normal straight cable.

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
OK, thanks all - I think I'll opt for the straight cable then. It seems less hassle in use, and as @AnotherJoe noted, a straight cable will take less space in the boot too.

·
Registered
262 Posts
If you will store the cable by just putting it in the boot then a neatly coiled up plain cable is probably going to take up less room and roll around less. If you have a dedicated compartment/cubby of the right size, then a curly cable is easier to manage because you don't need to coil it up, just drop it in. The side pods on the Outlander boot are perfect for this and are where my 8m nominal curly lives. The other advantage of a curly IMO is it stays off the ground so won't get as dirty. I am unsure of the risk of socket damage from the weight of the cable. Those sockets are pretty beefy. I think a curly at waist or knee height is a lesser trip hazard than a cable draped over the ground, because (a) you don't tend to trip over things that high up, and (b) the thing has plenty of give in it unless pulled really taut.

Steve

·
Registered
886 Posts
My 8m curly green cable generally keeps clean and tidy as it basically does not fully lie on the ground (due to the curls). It is also easy to spot and should be less of a trip hazard really. However, it would never reach 8 m I imagine, not that I've needed it to :)

I haven't noticed it hanging off the connectors but I guess it would if stretched enough :confused:

·
Registered
92 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If I get the chance before I have to make a purchase, I'll take a closer look at any spiral cables I see in use...

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
The Twizy has a coiled cable onboard which does work well as it retracts back into its own cubby hole.
Any other car, not sure it is as advantageous.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Slightly off topic
I have a curly airline that I use for inflating tyres.
It has a mind of it's own and fights me every-time I use it, coiled leads seem to have a habit of tying themselves in knots with extraordinary ease.

On topic
I would be a bit nervous pulling 32A through anything too tightly coiled so if you are using one best ensure it is reasonably well stretched out to allow heat to dissipate.

here are some pretty pictures of ordinary extension leads, (One notably used by a Muppet to charge an EV).
Why is it dangerous use a coiled extension cord

·
Registered
2,803 Posts
You just need to look at the IEE Regs to see what effect grouping factors apply to cables to see why you should uncoil an extension lead.

·
Registered
1,315 Posts
Anyone remember owning and taking a proper care of one of these i.e not today's plastic rubbish.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts