Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi

I've been with Bulb for a while now, but as they have just announced another price increase I think I will finally move to Octopus Go.
At the moment I have an E7 meter so I will need to swap to a smart meter.
What do you think, should I get Bulb to fit the smart meter then swap or swap and let Octopus fit the smart meter?
Any thoughts on pros & cons?

Cheers

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
7,197 Posts
Whoever will do it most quickly would be my suggestion. Why not ask them how quickly they can do it. You can move to Octopus on another of their tariffs such as Tracker whilst they fit the meter.

·
Registered
2021 Tesla Model 3 LR
992 Posts
I think it’s a bit of a postcode lottery in terms of speed of installation. I was lucky and Octopus installed ours about a week after I moved to them. I’d been waiting a year for Ecotricity to do it. Others have waited ages for Octopus.

·
Registered
1,526 Posts
I think it’s a bit of a postcode lottery in terms of speed of installation. I was lucky and Octopus installed ours about a week after I moved to them. I’d been waiting a year for Ecotricity to do it. Others have waited ages for Octopus.
To be fair, those 'others' (which includes me !) who had to wait ages for an Octopus installation were put on hold whilst they had suspended meter fitting during pandemic. It took a lot of emails before I managed to convince them that my outdoor meter cabinet with a 'local CU & socket plus a house with no earth bonding to inspect was a safe working environment for their fitter; after that my installation was completed quite quickly.

·
Registered
181 Posts
Hi

I've been with Bulb for a while now, but as they have just announced another price increase I think I will finally move to Octopus Go.
What do you think, should I get Bulb to fit the smart meter then swap or swap and let Octopus fit the smart meter?

Cheers
Don’t forget to ask them to fit an isolation switch at the same time, if you want one. Mine was fitted for free with the meters.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Octopus have a website where you can check daily for cancellations in your area.
I was able to get a smart meter fitted within about a month of moving to them, and was on Octopus Go within about a week of that.

I'm actually on Go Faster like many other members here.
5.5p per KWh from 2030 until 0130 - this gets us maximum use of the cheap tariff for dishwasher, washing machine and tumble dryer as well as the car.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Have you a link for that? A friend has been waiting a long time..
The link is personalised to your own account.
Email [email protected] and ask them for a link.
You need to check it regularly - it only shows anything as being available when they've had a cancellation.

·
Registered
BMW i3
451 Posts
Hi

Cheers
I was in exactly the same boat - E7 with Bulb but aware that prices had gone up a fair bit.

Was also thinking of getting Bulb to put in a smart meter (as they could have done so quickly) and then switching to Octopus Go, but I’m still not sure I want a smart meter for various reasons. (health, security, reliability, interoperability, future pricing, not being able to get rid of it etc)

Octopus have also just put prices up, and it’s a variable tariff - I got a good quote from a small provider for a single rate tariff (12.38p fixed) that worked out slightly more than Go so I went for that, I just have to give them both readings on my E7 meter.

·
Registered
Ioniq 38kWh
596 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Thanks for all your replies. I think I will ring Octopus and see what they say about timing. I'm not in to much of a hurry as I don't use much grid electricity in the summer.
Cheers

·
Registered
36 Posts
Thanks for all your replies. I think I will ring Octopus and see what they say about timing. I'm not in to much of a hurry as I don't use much grid electricity in the summer.
Cheers
Be prepared for a long wait if you ring them & don't listen to the guy constantly telling you to email them, I have 3 times & never had a reply.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts