Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
There is a lot of confusion for new buyers out there with regard to the various options and how to tell 24kw from 30kw, a sticky on here.
I thought Id' post a pictorial explanation to make things easier for them.

The first one is how the display can advise you of the inbuilt charging capabilities of the 24/30kw leaf.
If it has the inbuilt 7kw charger it will look like this picture, if it only has the 3kw inbuilt charger it will not have the 2 options, just the 3kw. This car is fully charged so the display shows no time to full charge.

This is the Leaf with the Charge Flap at the front open. The left socket is for a rapid charge CHAdeMO, 43kw.
The socket on the right is the Type1 connector. All Leafs should come with a Type1 to Type2 Cable, as well as the standard 3kw mains 3-pin plug with the hefty Power supply unit terminating in a Type 1 plug (granny cable).

This is the Type2 Socket on my home charger.

This is the corresponding plug end of the Type2 cable.

This is the other end of the cable with the Type1 plug. It fits in the front of the vehicle.

I hope this is of use. Cheers Tony.

Reactions: shiwarrior

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3 (120Ah)
1,003 Posts
All Leafs should come with a Type1 to Type2 Cable, as well as the standard 3kw mains 3-pin plug with the hefty Power supply unit terminating in a Type 1 plug (granny cable).

This is the Type2 Socket on my Podpoint home charger.

View attachment 130133
I can assure you that’s not a Pod Point. It’s a Chargemaster Homecharge unit.

Regarding cables, the policy changed a lot over the years. At first, if you ordered a car with a 3.3kW charger you only got the granny cable, and if you ordered the 6.6kW charger you only got the Type 1-Type 2 cable. I think in late 2015-early 2016 somewhere along the lines of the 30kWh model release it changed to both cables included.

Finally, it will be worth noting that not all LEAFs have DC Rapid charge support. If we are talking about UK Spec, Chademo was an optional extra for the Visia trim level (As well as missing out on other features like reversing camera, carwings and heat pump)

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I can assure you that’s not a Pod Point. It’s a Chargemaster Homecharge unit.

Regarding cables, the policy changed a lot over the years. At first, if you ordered a car with a 3.3kW charger you only got the granny cable, and if you ordered the 6.6kW charger you only got the Type 1-Type 2 cable. I think in late 2015-early 2016 somewhere along the lines of the 30kWh model release it changed to both cables included.

Finally, it will be worth noting that not all LEAFs have DC Rapid charge support. If we are talking about UK Spec, Chademo was an optional extra for the Visia trim level (As well as missing out on other features like reversing camera, carwings and heat pump)
No you are right it isn't a pod point, I will edit the original - if this site lets me!
Tony

1 - 4 of 4 Posts