Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all,
I'm just teetering on the edge of buying one of the ZS EVs, but I occasionally (5 or 6 times a year) do a drive from London to Manchester and back.
How would the ZS EV handle that? Would I get away with stopping once somewhere, or would we need 2 stops?
This would be my 1st EV, so this whole charging thing is new to me!
I've looked at ZapMap and I know it shows charging points, but I'm a little worried incase they are in use/ broken etc.
Thanks in advance.

·
evezy referral code d6540
3,197 Posts
I haven’t got a ZS EV but am sure it would handle that trip no problem. You would need one stop if it was roughly half way (London to Manchester about 200 miles) or two shorter stops if nothing suitable at around the 100 mile mark.

Use Zap-Map and see what InstaVolt hubs are just off your route. Find those with at least two rapids to reduce possibility of having to wait. They are generally reliable and you can pay using contactless. You could start by trying Ecotricity as they’ll be evenly spaced along the motorway. If they are broken or in use, go to InstaVolt as plan B. It only takes a few minutes to come off at the services to check if Ecotricity is available and working. If not you have plan B which would probably involve leaving the motorway for a few miles. Allow extra time, and try and combine charging stops with breaks to eat or use the toilet.

Reactions: Andiev

·
Registered
1,207 Posts
You'll be saving enough money on a day by day basis that you could consider renting a car for the trips to London, then you won't be racking up so many miles on your own car?

Anyway, just check zapmap and ensure you have a plan A and a plan B to charge up en route.

·
Registered
138 Posts
The car would handle it just fine. You’ll be amazed at how quiet and relaxing it is to drive long distances. Charging from around 10 to 20 per cent on a rapid charger is usually quick up to 80 per cent. Depending on your speed you should get about 3.4 miles per kWh on motorways. City driving will give over 4 miles per kWh. Summer touring driving at an average of 35mph would see close on 5 miles per kWh. The variation in distance per charge will seem greater with an EV because they are more efficient at putting power to the wheels. Higher speed and drag caused by rain make more of a difference to range. On the face of it London to Manchester is just over 200 miles so one stop should suffice except maybe in severe weather. Look for a charger at about 130 miles for your first top up.

The public charger network is growing rapidly with multiple chargers being installed at locations now which helps with the issue of breakdowns. And have a practice on chargers before you make your first trip I have found some problems down to (me) user error with apps!

You won’t regret buying the car I’m sure. Of course there is the MG5 which has sufficiently more range to do the trip with just one quick stop.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Hi

as others have said, it’ll do it. For the 180-200mi trips I’ve done, one rest break with about 30 mins charging worked perfectly. The reality of a longer journey is thats only maybe 10 mins slower tops per rest break. If you’ve got kids/animals then probably not much in it sub 300mi/2 stops.

As long as you can charge at your destination you’re golden. The granny charger will take about 16h to brim it for the return trip.

Hiring for those infrequent trips is a contingeny of course, and you’re not paying for battery that you don’t really use day-day.

I like the car overall and the MG pilot works well on the motorway. It might even make the M6 less unpleasant!

·
Registered
557 Posts
For any long trips, I tend to use A Better Routeplanner. It can plan chargers for you and give you the cost of some of them too. I find it really handy for longer trips - you can even put in weather, temperature, wind to make it as accurate as possible.
I used to have a LEAF and would plan every small step with backups, I tend to not bother now with the MG as the battery has a much longer range - there are usually chargers close enough that if one doesn't work it's not a problem for me (although some people might cut it closer than I do!)
The only downside for me is that it doesn't work with Android Auto, so I use it to do the planning, but then Google Maps to do the actual navigating.

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
Presumably you will stay at least one night in Manchester? Can you charge there using the 13A portable charger - aka "Granny" (even though you may not be actually visiting her ;))?

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
The charging network in Manchester is excellent even if you cannot utilise a "granny lead" where you are visiting. I'd be more concerned as to exactly where you are starting from and going to - South London to North Manchester is significantly further, and if you don't have home charging but have to utilise a Rapid you may only be starting with 80% charge in which case two stops of around 40 minutes each will be necessary. However, it is a much more relaxed way of travelling even if it adds just over an hour to a flat out drive with a single comfort break in an ICE.
Of course there is the option of the train and eventually HS2 ........:rolleyes::eek:

·
Premium Member
11,486 Posts
Personally I hate visiting somebody or somewhere and then having to scrabble around trying to get a charge, especially after a long journey. If I can't be certain of a charge at destination (or a short walk away) I plan a rapid charge stop to 80% about 30 miles before destination and modify any earlier charge stop(s) accordingly. Doing that usually gives enough range so I don't have to stop too soon on return leg.

As others have said, enroute charging has improved a lot and is continuing to do so with more hubs opening, so don't be put off for long journeys. However, personally I wouldn't recommend one in London unless you have off street parking - or can be sure of access to workplace or residential lamppost type charging.

Finally, do check other EVs. Lots of MG fan's here, but personally I prefer Zoe and others rave about the Peugeot. It is great there are options - we all "correct" in our choices ;)

Reactions: Andiev and dk6780

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,410 Posts
London to Manchester and back.
I live in Stoke, so a little shorter than your journey, but not by much. I wouldn't be too troubled by doing that journey. In fact I've done it twice (Stoke) to RHS Wisley in a 22 kWh Zoe (half the battery size of the MG) without too much bother.

Try to go for InstaVolt or Osprey/Geniepoint chargers. I feel that you could make it with one charge on route, but for comfort I would go for two charges of shorter duration than I would have with one charge. Using the same sort of charging time but giving myself peace of mind.

Try ABetterRoutePlanner and see what it gives you for options.

I second what @SkippyKitten says, make good use of MGPilot on the motorway. It takes a lot of weight out of the driving. (I love it)

·
Registered
5,128 Posts
I second what @SkippyKitten says, make good use of MGPilot on the motorway. It takes a lot of weight out of the driving. (I love it)
Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but what loss of range do you get with MGPilot? All cruise control reduces range and I believe that MGPilot always uses regen rather than allowing coasting. Is it a theoretical loss only or do you actually notice it?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but what loss of range do you get with MGPilot? All cruise control reduces range and I believe that MGPilot always uses regen rather than allowing coasting.
It’s actually that it uses the friction braking and no regen that is the issue. I found it not too bad, set it at 70 and you’ll return around 3.2-3.4 m/kWh.

Reactions: Andiev and Neilew

·
Registered
MG EZS 2020
4,410 Posts
Sorry for the thread hi-jack, but what loss of range do you get with MGPilot? All cruise control reduces range and I believe that MGPilot always uses regen rather than allowing coasting. Is it a theoretical loss only or do you actually notice it?
Yeah, same as @shikoku14 says, no general loss of range compared to driving without. Major benefits in traffic jams. Was stuck on the M5 for 3 hours when the tanker crossed the motorway near Worcester back in September. I let MGpilot's Traffic Jam Assist handle the stop-start. A complete breeze.

One down side is that you lose the readout for the speedo every time you change lanes. When it finds the lines again, it shows you that MGPilot has taken over by showing the 'blue lines', but then forgets to return to the speedo display.

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi all,
I'm just teetering on the edge of buying one of the ZS EVs, but I occasionally (5 or 6 times a year) do a drive from London to Manchester and back.
How would the ZS EV handle that? Would I get away with stopping once somewhere, or would we need 2 stops?
This would be my 1st EV, so this whole charging thing is new to me!
I've looked at ZapMap and I know it shows charging points, but I'm a little worried incase they are in use/ broken etc.
Thanks in advance.
It will handle it absolutely fine with just one stop. 6 weeks ago I came back from a 2000 mile road trip in the ZS EV - through southern Ireland, Northern Island - Scotland. It handled everything fine. 200 miles is nothing. You can stop at the new Instavolt hub near Banbury - Its got tons of chargers. By the time you have had a coffee you will be ready to go in 30 minutes or so. It's a very easy drive from Manchester to London, with plenty of chargers along the way. I frequently do Leeds to Warwick all in one go.

·
Registered
16 Posts
It will handle it absolutely fine with just one stop. 6 weeks ago I came back from a 2000 mile road trip in the ZS EV - through southern Ireland, Northern Island - Scotland. It handled everything fine. 200 miles is nothing. You can stop at the new Instavolt hub near Banbury - Its got tons of chargers. By the time you have had a coffee you will be ready to go in 30 minutes or so. It's a very easy drive from Manchester to London, with plenty of chargers along the way. I frequently do Leeds to Warwick all in one go.
Hi, I have just ordered a ZS EV and would need to go Leeds to Worcester occasionally, so was interested in your Leeds to Warwick journey. Although Worcester is further and I think I would definitely need a top up stop, I just wondered what sort of speed you were maintaining on presumably the M1 as Warwick is about 130 miles. That's more than I was expecting to achieve on a motorway. Maybe I drive too fast :)

·
Registered
215 Posts
Hi, I have just ordered a ZS EV and would need to go Leeds to Worcester occasionally, so was interested in your Leeds to Warwick journey. Although Worcester is further and I think I would definitely need a top up stop, I just wondered what sort of speed you were maintaining on presumably the M1 as Warwick is about 130 miles. That's more than I was expecting to achieve on a motorway. Maybe I drive too fast
I actually live slightly south of Warwick at a place called Wellesbourne. The first time I did it, I actually drove at 70 mph on the motorway nearly all of the way, but was left with not even 1 mile on the clock! It was extreme anxiety that I would never repeat. These days I keep it around 60mph and don't have the heater on very much at all. I arrive with plenty of range and don't need a charge on the way. I know 60mph may be slower than you are used to, but it works out quicker going slightly slower than having to spend time stopping for a charge. If you keep it to 60mph and are very easy on the accelerator (try and keep the power below 20%) you should make it in one go from Worcester to Leeds. In the summer you will be able to go a little quicker. Enjoy your ZS, I think you will love it :)

·
Registered
338 Posts
Last month I did from Huddersfield to Sunderland Fastned charger. I covered 125 miles from 100% and arrived with 6% remaining. That was with MG Pilot set at 65mph for the vast majority for the journey (so no regen benefit) and the heating on the whole time, it was also windy and wet. I was pretty impressed with that performance.

·
Registered
7,353 Posts
A Better Route Planner recommends 3 short stops each way rather than what would be thought to be the way to plan this trip. This is their plan for a wet and cold day with a bit of luggage on board. And from Picc Circus to Picc Gardens.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I actually live slightly south of Warwick at a place called Wellesbourne. The first time I did it, I actually drove at 70 mph on the motorway nearly all of the way, but was left with not even 1 mile on the clock! It was extreme anxiety that I would never repeat. These days I keep it around 60mph and don't have the heater on very much at all. I arrive with plenty of range and don't need a charge on the way. I know 60mph may be slower than you are used to, but it works out quicker going slightly slower than having to spend time stopping for a charge. If you keep it to 60mph and are very easy on the accelerator (try and keep the power below 20%) you should make it in one go from Worcester to Leeds. In the summer you will be able to go a little quicker. Enjoy your ZS, I think you will love it :)
Thank you, this is great information for me as a soon to be newbie EV'er

1 - 20 of 26 Posts