Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,

Looking for some advice, I've got an i3 on order (only 1 month to delivery) and I'm hearing more and more houses being broken into to steal the keys to then take the cars.

Normal precautions don't apply in these situations, (disk lock, metal posts etc) I'd rather put the scum bag off all together rather than needing for him to wake me up to find the keys to a post or similar...

Does anyone have any recommendations on CCTV/lighting??? I have no idea on where to even start...

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Do you mean electric cars being stolen?

Don't think so, most thieves leave them because a) they don't know how to drive them b) they won't go far before they run out of charge and c) they don't know how to charge them/have no cards etc. OK they could use the 10A EVSE but it doesn't make for a quick getaway.

One Tesla owner had a break in and they nicked the ICE second car and left the brand new 85D on the drive.

Anyone on here know of an EV being stolen?

·
Registered
3,837 Posts
Most of the thieves have a blind spot,they steal BMW, Mercedes, Range Rover and a few other high value 20th century cars. I never met a car thief who could understand anything high tech. It only took a small change to car security to virtually stop opportunist theft, hence the move to burglary, which for the criminal is a much more high risk activity, with higher punishments.
As Greydad asks, has anyone even heard of an EV theft?

·
Registered
331 Posts
I haven't heard of any. Perhaps they are deterred by the BBC and Gadget Show describing them as rubbish because they run out of electricity when they run out of electricity.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It's not only the new EV, the ICE company car has changed too... So two new cars....

Security advice anyone?

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Ah! So you want to know how to protect your ICE? Well, that's a different matter :)

·
Registered
655 Posts
Hi,

Looking for some advice, I've got an i3 on order (only 1 month to delivery) and I'm hearing more and more houses being broken into to steal the keys to then take the cars.

Normal precautions don't apply in these situations, (disk lock, metal posts etc) I'd rather put the scum bag off all together rather than needing for him to wake me up to find the keys to a post or similar...

Does anyone have any recommendations on CCTV/lighting??? I have no idea on where to even start...
Best security is never leave your car outside if you have a garage; most of the homes in our area have at single/double garages, choose to use as additional storage instead of safeguarding their car from the elements or tealeaves, either because car is too large to fit or they just can't pack the car in the garage because of inability/confidence. It's always a good laugh watching for 30 minutes some of the neighbors trying to garage their cars once a year when they are going on holiday; and that's with assistance; probably would make a good "YouTube" video.
If the car is safety located out of sight, nobody really knows if you are at home or not; fit a quality garage door; ours are "secured by design"; same as our front/back doors, a police standard to prevent breaking in; so much so the fire brigrade had to receive training on gaining entry in emergency situations.
Have your garage linked to your home alarm system along with CCTV; systems now are much cheaper and are easy to fit; accessible/viewable from your mobile in the event of forced entry.
Main thing is not to leave your keys, whether house or car within viewable distance of doors/windows; to many keys getting stolen by opertunists, or homes are cherry picked due to type of car you own.
Simple measures can ensure safety and security, only issue is if you are parking in city centre areas/transport hubs/stations etc on regular basis making a pattern to would-be thieves.
You can no longer rely on our great police forces; too much trouble to come out; just claim on your insurance; this is where you need to do all you can do to protect your own property, and it should not be seen as being unreasonable that if the unfortunate does happen, you don't get penalised for applying some GBH protecting yourself and family members against the scum of the earth.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Depends how much you value the cars and how much you value your safety. If you really want to keep the cars get a safe under your bed. If you want the scum to just take the keys and leave you alone leave them somewhere like a kitchen drawer so they're not obvious but will be found before you get woken up with a knife pointed at you.

·
Registered
3,756 Posts
Impossible to answer your question:

Do you have off-street parking?
Are you in a village, town, suburb or city centre?
Are you in a high-crime area?
Do you have a garage?
Is the area well lit?
Do you have neighbours?
Are you near a major road?

etc.

·
Registered
655 Posts
At the end of the day, it is only a car; replaceable.
Life unfortunately not so easy to replace.
Until punishment fits the crime, scum will still be out their, looking for an easy target.
No longer can you feel safe with the police and all their cut backs, no fault of theirs, just government cuts, thats life.
They should think of making Britain great again; reduce spending on other countries and be more thinking of our own.
I realise this has maybe gone a little of subject, but some things do rattle you, at this is one.
Go to Saudi, get proven of theft, get your hands removed, no second chances; too much human rights crap nowadays, too many doo gooders, not thinking about the real people being punished. Certainly not the people breaking the law!

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
If you need the police to come quickly, just tell them you have a gun and are going to shoot the burglars! They will be round in record time to protect them!! But make sure you buy a pingpong ball gun to brandish when they get there, so they cant say you wasted police time as well :D

·
Registered
655 Posts
Amazon are still showing stun guns, for free?; would make someone think twice about attempted theft.
EV car gives electric shock, that would make a statement.

·
Registered
3,187 Posts
Basically it goes one of two ways - they're either just going to take the car (flatbed, tow, swap or recode ecu, etc) or they're going to break in and get the keys then take the car. Chancers will generally only go for something if it's really easy to get to or if they have a known way of taking it (like a lot of BMW's got stolen a while back because a broken window and plug in to obd could get them going). Once you're on to the ones who are willing to break in to get the keys you're far better off letting them find them. If they're going to risk an aggravated burglary charge, adding wounding or assault with intent won't make a whole lot of difference to them.
I should point out the ones who will physically break in and go searching the house are different to the ones who use a fishing line through the letterbox.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts