Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
The i3 prototype has been driven by the media...

http://www.whatcar.com/car-news/2013-bmw-i3-prototype-driven/266194

The swirly pattern is rather strange don't you think?

I would love to like this car and when the concept was announced and I thought the BMW i3 might be the start of a surge in EV popularity. Of course, this might still be so, but at that price I can't see it happening myself. Let's hope I am wrong!

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
The big unknown here is the range extender. With a Volt or Ampera driving on the range extender has no effect on performance, but as I understand it BMW have said that top speed and acceleration will be lower when the battery is depleted but not how much lower. Combine that with needing to refuel every 80 miles or less and you're not going to be planning many long range trips. (Or in other words, it is for extending range not for everyday driving.)

·
Registered
1,777 Posts
The swirly pattern is camo cover, its still an unfinished version of the car so probably has missing detailing.

I'd be interested in whether the range extender can maintain motorway driving when the battery is flat or if it switches down to a limited speed/power mode.
It's interesting they have gone with bigger wheels (like the karma) EV's are particularly well suited for higher torque, and the lower revs at top speed. Though they do end up looking a bit skinny, and the unsprung weight on a lighter car may become an issue too..

They seems to have not said how much a new battery is in six months.. messrs Clarkson et al will be raging about that omission.. [j/k]

·
Militant EV driver!
4,936 Posts
Times is saying that the EV version will be £25k after PICG.

I'm going to the public event on the 30th. I have a guest spot if anyone else wants to come.

·
Registered
25 Posts
I drove one last week and it's impressive.
From my research, the reason why the range extender only does that many miles is because the California law demands that the generator must not produce any more miles than a full charge can, to qualify for the big tax breaks they get over there. The fact that we don't get them is typical of the British Government's attitude to taxing motorists.

It looks a bit strange at first, but quickly appears more normal. The colour makes a big difference. Very quick and agile. Otherwise, about the same drive as an Ampera. No quieter. Comfortable for 4 adults, but not as much luggage space. Amazingly tight turning circle.
The big difference is the braking effect from reducing throttle pressure. You can almost dispense with the brake pedal. A bit like my Ampera was when new.
Price is around £30,000 with a decent spec. and the Government grant.

·
Premium Member
11,055 Posts
Yeah, I am sure a lot of people will like and buy the i3 (many because of the BMW badge) but neither the battery only nor the range extender model does it for me.

Although I often do stop on the motorway and (slowly!) charge, the reason I got the Ampera is I do not have to - it is optional. In the winter with the heating on at 75mph I suspect the real world range of the i3 will be much lower than claimed, resulting in enforced motorway stops (often for expensive petrol) on a long journey.

With the 100K warranty, I plan to keep my Ampera for around 5-6 years but hopefully there will be mid size electric car with 200+ miles range (Tesla?) before then that we can run alongside. My partner now shares my EV vision ;-)

Hopefully by then the crazy standards mess for rapid charging will also be resolved - the fact that the i3 only supports rapid charging using the almost non existing CCS being an example...

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
proddick said:
Hopefully by then the crazy standards mess for rapid charging will also be resolved - the fact that the i3 only supports rapid charging using the almost non existing CCS being an example...
Can't help thinking that CCS won't be non-existent for long though.

·
Premium Member
11,055 Posts
1 - 8 of 8 Posts