Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2017 Leaf Tekna. Occasionally (say once every 10 starts) the yellow PS warning light (Electric Power Steering Warning Light) comes on, and the car won't "start". Typically turning the power button on and off clears this. Occasionally it takes 2-3 restarts to clear.

The manual says "this may indicate the PS system is not functioning properly and may need servicing".

Is this something I should be concerned about. Should I get this checked out by the dealer. It happens very infrequently but is annoying when it does so.

Out of interest, I trust the Leaf will tell me when its first service is needed like other cars. Currently done 6,200 miles.

Kind regards,

WarwickBoy

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
You know the answer, right? It shouldn't happen, get it checked.

The dealer might have set the service reminder, but no guarantee. You can set it yourself...

·
Registered
33 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Flipper,

You are of course correct. I'll get it checked out. It's a hassle to head into town. I'd better check when the service is due. I must admit with all the technology in the Leaf I just assumed it would tell me when it needed a service.

It's annoying that you still have issues on new cars. I've got a couple of BMWs and when they need servicing or other work the dealer collects from my house and returns when the work is done. I'm not sure whether Nissan offer this service.

Cheers,

WarwickBoy

P.S. The Leaf is actually my favourite car. It's not pretty, not that fast, but fun to drive. I love the linear acceleration, slow speed ooomhp ideal for nipping about, and something about it being all electric makes me smile.

·
Premium Member
2019 Leaf 40
6,556 Posts
Check the fluid level for the PS. If it's normal take it to a dealer. You don't want it deciding the power steering isn't working when you're driving it. If you ignore these kinds of warnings then it can lead to damage.

If it's a bit low looking then top it up with whatever the correct stuff is and keep an eye on the level. I'd also check under the car for any mystery drips. If it's losing fluid then again it's trip to a dealer time.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Just get the dealer to sort it. You shoulnt have to top up a 2017 vehicle unless there is a leak, and that just needs to get sorted and unless its something you have damaged, it shopuld be a warranty issue.

·
Registered
373 Posts
I understand that the first service on my Leaf Tekna is 6000 miles or 12 months whichever is first.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I understand that the first service on my Leaf Tekna is 6000 miles or 12 months whichever is first.
It's 12 months or 18000 miles, whichever is first.

·
Registered
1,564 Posts
Or if you have a fault. They could always clain that you had known there was a fault and done nothing about it , if it actually caused a long term poroblem. Dont wait for the service at whatever mileage / time.

·
Registered
122 Posts
It's annoying that you still have issues on new cars. I've got a couple of BMWs and when they need servicing or other work the dealer collects from my house and returns when the work is done. I'm not sure whether Nissan offer this service.
Our local dealer offer collection and return for servicing. Unfortunately they are repeat offenders at not turning up for scheduled collections, and do not treat the vehicle with respect when they do manage to keep an appointment.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Occasionally (say once every 10 starts) the yellow PS warning light (Electric Power Steering Warning Light) comes on, and the car won't "start". Typically turning the power button on and off clears this. Occasionally it takes 2-3 restarts to clear.

The manual says "this may indicate the PS system is not functioning properly and may need servicing".

Is this something I should be concerned about. Should I get this checked out by the dealer. It happens very infrequently but is annoying when it does so.
WarwickBoy
Just in case it helps, I thought I would repeat what I wrote in a thread last November about the PS light being on and the car not allowing you to go into Drive. This is how I interpreted the problem:

Normally when I turn the car on the steering wheel does a little jiggle and turns slightly left and right, which I presume is a power steering self test or initialisation. However, on the occasion that the PS light came on I had my right hand on the steering wheel while I reached for the start button with my left hand, and in so doing I may have prevented the steering wheel from moving sufficiently for the self test to return an OK result, and so it turned off the power steering (in case there was a mechanical fault?). When I turned the car on again (and every time since) I made sure that I was not holding the steering wheel, and it all worked fine. So hopefully it was just user error and not a car problem. :oops:

·
Registered
1 Posts
HI, I have Nissan Note e-power 2019 car. last week I got the problem (showing PS on dashboard ). at that time I didn't know anything to do. but I called my friend he is working in Nissan motor company in Japan. he told my solution .when PS display on dashboard before turn on light then push the start button. car will start and working as normally.
but he said check the system

1 - 12 of 12 Posts