Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2020 Corsa E
6,942 Posts
Wonder if installation costs to the end user will actually change? Seem to me the installer charges whatever the grant pays.

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
This is probably a good thing, I really doubt say a Rolec Wallpod costs ~£600 with installation which is what the current "75% (up to £500)" scheme seems to result in.

I'd be interested to know what install costs are like in countries which don't subsidise wallpods. I think they should still be subsidised, but not in a way that allows price gouging to get the grant.

·
Registered
46 Posts
This is probably a good thing, I really doubt say a Rolec Wallpod costs ~£600 with installation which is what the current "75% (up to £500)" scheme seems to result in.

I'd be interested to know what install costs are like in countries which don't subsidise wallpods. I think they should still be subsidised, but not in a way that allows price gouging to get the grant.
well we are only just getting OLEV approval.. cheapest "smart charger" that will comply for the grant is £450 ish, the labour, parts and commisioning time will seldom if ever be less than £250 to £300 so if your expecting chargers to be installed for less than £750.00... good luck with that..

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
28,596 Posts
From 1st April? Is it some sort of joke?

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thanks for sharing this, I was scheduled to get a charger installed under the existing grant scheme and I've just telephoned my installer. They said that they only became aware of this change yesterday, as did everyone in the country - and they have to charge me the extra £150 shortfall. Incredibly annoying that a policy change was announced with absolutely no notice to or coordination with installers!

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
well we are only just getting OLEV approval.. cheapest "smart charger" that will comply for the grant is £450 ish, the labour, parts and commisioning time will seldom if ever be less than £250 to £300 so if your expecting chargers to be installed for less than £750.00... good luck with that..
I doubt electricians are price gouging, I'm wondering if the likes of Rolec are. It really doesn't seem like a smart car charger should cost that much - it's a contactor, connector, and a box, plus a 4G modem. The BOM must be on the order of £100.

·
Registered
18 Posts
I agree with @tom66, I don't think the price gouging is necessarily coming from electricians. I had two different quotes, one from an OLEV-registered installer (for an OHME wall charger) and another from a non-OLEV firm we have used before (for a simple commando socket). The two quotes were nearly identical excluding the charging equipment and the grant.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts