Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
As any had this fault or heard about it PTC heater unit?
Got my new Leaf Tekna 31.02.2014 had it a week and heater and regeneration stopped working correctly still not got the car back, I am in a loan Leaf Visa.

·
Registered
7 Posts
As any had this fault or heard about it PTC heater unit?
Got my new Leaf Tekna 31.02.2014 had it a week and heater and regeneration stopped working correctly still not got the car back, I am in a loan Leaf Visa.
Hi Garry
I had the same fault last month with my 2013 Tekna, it took three weeks for it to be resolved, unfortunately had an ICE as a loaner. Checking with the US forums it seems this is a common fault with the Leaf.
David

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi David
Thanks for the reply, yes I have just seen the reports in USA and it seems more of a problem there than here why don't know? Did your regeneration not work correctly at the same time? As regards the Loan car so you know for next time Nissan customer services said it was policy for me to have a Leaf loan car. By the way did you know what it involved fitting the unit? I think the dash and air bags have to be removed?
Garry

·
Registered
7 Posts
Hi Garry
Regen worked fine for me it was just the heater, I believe you are right it was a major task removing and replacing the dash plus the lack of immediate parts. Thanks for the information regarding the loan car, hopefully I will not have to find out too soon.
David

·
Registered
23 Posts
Looks like I am about to Join the PTC heater group.

My pre heat CC on the car is not working and after 4 days in the garage it has been established it's a fault on the PTC heater , which is basically a heater for the fluid in the heater that run from just electric (no heat pump).

Dealer (Wirral Nissan)didn't have the correct PPE(safety) Equipment to continue the job so had to book it into another dealer in Liverpool.

That will be next friday 19th Sept will keep you posted.

·
Registered
853 Posts
So a 2014 leaf still has a ptc heater? I thought that was replaced with the heat pump? (On all models except the visia)

·
Registered
23 Posts
From what I can tell the PTC heater assists the Heat pump. Those of you with a gen2 can see this if you crank up the heat and look at the power meters.

On the loan tekna I had (gen2) the power used on heat would creep up to about 3 kw and then ramp down from there as the heat pump took over.

On my LEAF with faulty PTC heater the power meter never gets over 0.75 kw although this is enough to warm the car I think it lacks the extra kick given by the PTC.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Just as it starts to get cold I seem to have the same problem in my Mark 2 leaf. The heating is not hot, I guess you could call it warm but certainly a problem. Booked in next week for its first year Service and for this to be looked at.

·
Registered
23 Posts
My LEAF goes in this morning for it's 3rd attempt to get fixed , everything seems to be in place now, they have the rubber gloves , the spare neater part and the Tech is back off holiday . So after two and a half months hopefully it will be fixed this week .

Incidentally I have noticed that if you have Leaf Spy app , the ptc heater comes up as a fault code ...

B2773 0008 HVAC PTC Heater Circuit 1 HAC-75
B2774 0008 HVAC PTC Heater Circuit 2 HAC-75

I think this might be only on the pro version of Leaf spy as you need to go into the service screen to read the DTC codes

·
Registered
654 Posts
So a 2014 leaf still has a ptc heater? I thought that was replaced with the heat pump? (On all models except the visia)
It's all making sense to me now.
When the car is on pre-heat, the outside fans don't run.
When the car is on pre-cool the outside fans do run.
It probably doesn't run the heatpump while hooked up to save wear and tear when a more resilient but less efficient component can be used

·
Super Moderator
11,105 Posts
Interesting. I think ours is ok, but I've never seen the heater draw 3kW. I'll try cranking up the heat on ours. I usually have it set at 18.5C.

Wish I'd spent the extra £3 on Leafspy pro. I do have a generic fault reader. Maybe it will pick up the code.

Rear seat heat may have failed on ours. I'll start a new thread if it really is broken.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Took mine in on Monday and got it back Friday with a now working PTC heater . Service department said they didn't think it would take that long and at one point the workshop looked like a scene from a CSI crime scene with hazard warning tape all round the car.

Such a shame that Nissan Wirral did not have the necessary PPE equipment to do the job as they seem to understand Leafs (leaves) and the lifestyle choices made by their owners. Special thanks to Shelly at Nissan Wirral for always giving us a Leaf tekna and letting us park the Nissan note that Nissan Liverpool kept giving us as a loan car.

So to summarize 3 months to go through the process ...5 days to fix. I'm a happy customer but I do think that if you take in an electric car for service you should get an electric loaner, not all dealers seem to get this.

·
Registered
3,065 Posts
So took my Leaf back today ( 2nd visit ) so they could fix the 'heating' problem, I wasn't hopeful.

Got a message in the afternoon to say they have fixed it via a software update. Arrived at the dealership to collect car and guess what, yep you got it heating not working and just the same problem with NO HEATING!!!

So again I had to sit in the car and show them the problem - unbelievable.

Car is still at the dealership and we shall see what they say tomorrow but they don't seem to have a clue!
Which dealer is that?

·
Registered
295 Posts
West London Motor - Reading

Read below on how bad they are, don't use them if you have a Leaf. They haven't got a clue and they make you feel like you're in the wrong.

14th Nov - took the Leaf in for 1st service. Told them that the heating wasn't working. When I collected the car in the evening they told me that the heating issue was'user error' and that I want leaving it for long enough to warm up. I had to sit therm in the car to show them it wasn't working at all.

20th Nov - took the car back in so they could take another look at the heating. Arrived in the evening to collect car to be informed that they had fixed the problem by doing a 'software upgrade' I sat in the car and after 30 seconds knew that it wasn't fixed. Told customer service manager who then had to have a engineer take a look with me, they agreed not working.

21st Nov - car left with dealer and they tell me it's s problem with the Hester assembly. They need to order one.

25th Nov - I phoned to find out what is happening with the order, they don't have a date when it will arrive.

Am I being unreasonable? Or is this the correct level of service I should be getting?

·
Super Moderator
7,234 Posts
No I don't think that's normal. They build the Leaf in Sunderland, they must have heater assemblies in the country....

Also very annoying that the garage essentially don't believe you that there's a problem. Several people have had this fault now, enough reported on here it sounds like there's a process or parts problem.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Well the garage have all the necessary parts but the car has been with them for 2 days and currently heading into day 3. To be fair it seems that this is their first heater assembly refit so heading into the unknown.

Anyone got thoughts on how long this normally takes? Fed up of driving around in a Juke

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nothing like resurrecting an old post.. my 2013 Tekna has just experienced this fault (in the super cold spell of -4 this winter). Remove Climate control doesn't preheat and car takes much longer to heat (only heat pump drawing at max 1kw)... first noticed when running both AC and Heat to demist and warm.. only AC functions in that mode so heat pump must only work in that instance to AC relying on PTC for Heat element.
My leaf is 3 months out of warranty :-( thinking of leaving this as Nissan garages have a reputation for wasting time and money on fault diagnosis even when its quite a known fault on the forums of either a) temperature sensor thinking PTC is over hear or b) PTC heater/wiring at fault.
Interestingly it came on when the car got really cold on a night temps dropped to -5.. but next day it was at fault again.
I did have a side impact from another vehicle.. and its only when returned i have noticed this fault although no idea how i would link the accident with fault and get insurance to pay to fix

·
Registered
1,916 Posts
Nothing like resurrecting an old post.. my 2013 Tekna has just experienced this fault (in the super cold spell of -4 this winter). Remove Climate control doesn't preheat and car takes much longer to heat (only heat pump drawing at max 1kw)... first noticed when running both AC and Heat to demist and warm.. only AC functions in that mode so heat pump must only work in that instance to AC relying on PTC for Heat element.
My leaf is 3 months out of warranty :-( thinking of leaving this as Nissan garages have a reputation for wasting time and money on fault diagnosis even when its quite a known fault on the forums of either a) temperature sensor thinking PTC is over hear or b) PTC heater/wiring at fault.
Interestingly it came on when the car got really cold on a night temps dropped to -5.. but next day it was at fault again.
I did have a side impact from another vehicle.. and its only when returned i have noticed this fault although no idea how i would link the accident with fault and get insurance to pay to fix
He have a few spare leaf resistive heaters and the expertise to fit if that helps?

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
449 Posts
Thank you. Depends if that's the fault though. Where are you based?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

1 - 20 of 29 Posts