Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello all,

I am new to using pubic chargers. I've had our 40kWh Nissan Leaf since December 2021, but only needed to use public chargers for a first long trip last weekend.

I managed to figure how to use the various charger types without any help, but that's not the part of the experience that's left me curious.

I noticed that there were some users ahead of me who set up their charge and walked away, presumably to monitor charge progress on their phone while they have a coffee. Some hung around the charging station and were very willing to chat about their trip, their EV experience, and how much they were charging to right now. Some were more than willing to curtail their charge target once they knew where you were going and how much you would need to charge after they had completed ahead of you. Only one guy (local to the charger, who I figured had a deal where he could charge for free) was unwilling to shorten his charge even though I was low and on a long journey.

The whole experience of public charging felt like what I recall it was like when smokers would gather outside a pub for a ***; friendly and accommodating.

So my question then: when it comes to public charging, is there an accepted etiquette to the process whereby (most) users will discuss their needs and experiences, and will often agree how much to charge to if the charger is busy, and/or agree who should go next if it's busy and someone is in a rush or has a long trip ahead of them?

John

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Hello all,

I am new to using pubic chargers. I've had our 40kWh Nissan Leaf since December 2021, but only needed to use public chargers for a first long trip last weekend.

I managed to figure how to use the various charger types without any help, but that's not the part of the experience that's left me curious.

I noticed that there were some users ahead of me who set up their charge and walked away, presumably to monitor charge progress on their phone while they have a coffee. Some hung around the charging station and were very willing to chat about their trip, their EV experience, and how much they were charging to right now. Some were more than willing to curtail their charge target once they knew where you were going and how much you would need to charge after they had completed ahead of you. Only one guy (local to the charger, who I figured had a deal where he could charge for free) was unwilling to shorten his charge even though I was low and on a long journey.

The whole experience of public charging felt like what I recall it was like when smokers would gather outside a pub for a ***; friendly and accommodating.

So my question then: when it comes to public charging, is there an accepted etiquette to the process whereby (most) users will discuss their needs and experiences, and will often agree how much to charge to if the charger is busy, and/or agree who should go next if it's busy and someone is in a rush or has a long trip ahead of them?

John
I see that the forum has automatically masked the word that I used for cigarette, f a g. No slur intended.

·
Registered
Hyundai IONIQ
470 Posts
Generally it’s just a case of charging to around 80%, more if you actually need it and can charge quickly at higher percentages, and being on your way. Obviously also to never block a rapid charger after you’ve finished.

Most of it is common sense. But unfortunately some people lack common sense… You will sadly meet some very rude and inconsiderate people who only care about themselves. But likewise you’ll find some very kind and friendly people who will be more than reasonable with you.

There’s no hard rule that everyone follows. Especially now that we’re moving towards mass adoption and it’s not just an EV enthusiast community anymore.

·
Registered
1,096 Posts
There's a lady with a hybrid range rover I've seen parking at a charger at my local Tesco and she spent half an hour talking on the phone before even attempting to plug her car in. Fortunately I was the only other person charging and she didn't appear to be hindering anyone else. But why couldn't she plug in first then piddle about on the phone? Multitasking obviously isn't for everyone!!

·
Registered
575 Posts
Hi John and welcome.

If you search the forum you will find several long threads on the issue of charging etiquette with a wide range of opinions. EVs owners appear to be moving from a small group of enthusiasts behaving like members of a club to simply car owners who happen to drive an EV and have no special affinity with other EV owners. You can hope that people will be understanding and considerate, but should not expect it and be prepared to try elsewhere if your prefered charging location is fully in use and no one is prepared to make way. Setting your expectations of other people too high will only lead to irritation and frustration with a risk of altercations.

I suspect that this trend will continue and the only long term solution is more multi charger locations. Until then Keep Calm And Carry On.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,618 Posts
I noticed that there were some users ahead of me who set up their charge and walked away, presumably to monitor charge progress on their phone while they have a coffee.
Yes, that's what I typically do.
My current EV doesn't have the comms for a phone app, but once it starts charging it shows an estimate for time to reach target charge level (I can set the target, usually to 80%.)
So I can walk away, use the toilets and coffee shop and saunter back without controversy, having kept an eye on the time.

·
Premium Member
ID.4 GTX & M3 LR
11,305 Posts
Most people just use the charger to take what they need and move on. Personally, I don’t want to pay or stay for more charge than I need to get where I’m going, and I don’t think I’m unusual.

Whether they stay with the car or not doesn’t matter, but I’ve had more friendly chats at a charger than I’ve ever had at a petrol pump or in the shop queuing to pay!

You do of course get the occasional odd ball, but that’s life.

Generally though, even now EV folks are a friendly bunch, and I’m happy to help people new to charging.

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
10,548 Posts
Problems only arise over a combination of selfish entitled people and/or lack of knowledge and understanding of charging curves. There is no cure for the first because they will continue to do exactly what they want, when they want, and how they want, with no regard for others. The same people probably also do not know much about EVs. How the charge rate drops quickly over time, and varies greatly depending on how full they are at the start. Their lack of understanding causes them to stay longer for no great benefit.

Whilst one of the best improvements in EVs has been the speed they can accept a charge from a Rapid these days there are still thousands of cars that can take as long, or longer, to go from 80% to 100% as they took to get to 80%. Unless a driver understands this they may sit there for another 45 minutes to gain hardly any extra miles. Best practice for those cars is to move on at 80% and stop again once the state of charge is much lower.

Sensible people, once they have understood this by talking to other drivers will just move on if there is a queue rather than sit there for a long time receiving only a trickle charge. But of course, with the terminally entitled clowns, the concept of consideration for others is totally foreign to them. So it's best to just let them waste their time receiving a tiny charge and thinking that they have scored over lesser mortals.

·
Registered
MG5
1,448 Posts
Was this a type2 7kW EVSE or a rapid charger?
It sounds like a free 7kW unit which if you find available you can charge until full.
The charge rate of a rapid charger slows up ove 80-85% thats why you see this figure as a point to stop and move away. These are generally on your route whereas the fast EVSE unit are at a destination and can be used for longer and people do leave the car.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 2 LR, Seat Mii
1,618 Posts
So it's best to just let them waste their time receiving a tiny charge and thinking that they have scored over lesser mortals.
I think a lot of this behaviour is a hangover from the mentality of always filling the tank up to the brim. I expect some of these people used to pull the fuel nozzle part way out to get the filler pipe nearly overflowing (I know I did...) That, combined with ignorance of the fact that charging gets very slow at that level on most EVs, and maybe some kind of folklore that you have to charge and discharge the battery as fully as possible as it has a lifetime of only so many charge/discharge cycles, or fear that you might not make it to the next charger if you stop charging too early this time.

·
Registered
2,948 Posts
Not necessarily “etiquette”, but taking just enough to get you to the next rapid is the quickest and most efficient way to do it.

Watch Bjorn’s 1000km challenge videos on YouTube. If you have a “250-mile” BEV and you arrive at a rapid charger with less than 10% battery and 200 miles left to go, it is better to stop for 10mins and add 100miles and plan to stop again than to wait 30mins to add 200miles.

And filling past 80% on a rapid is almost always utterly dumb!

·
Registered
628 Posts
Question appears to be more about the level of chat and camaraderie rather than the correct level to fill to etc.

I’d agree that it’s in flux; you still get more people ready to have an enthusiasts’ chat than at a petrol pump, but it’s probably fewer than 50% these days. I don’t tend to stay with the car because I normally want to get a coffee and drink it in comfort, but I know roughly how long it takes to charge to 80%. If I’m at a single or 2 charger place I try to sit where I can see whether there are people waiting, or put a note saying when I‘lol be back, but I don’t bother if it’s a multi-hub like Banbury..

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
I see that the forum has automatically masked the word that I used for cigarette, f a g. No slur intended.
Yes, the canucks are deeply homophobic which is why icehockey is a little overly aggressive and they obfuscate all the words their daddies used to call them.
I think it's more offensive to homosexuals to deal with the word in that way than to leave it alone for the one out of a thousand that might be mildly offended.
The word f ag might not have other meanings in some places but then again it's just as offensive to suggest smokers who are clearly selfish and uncaring towards normal people and are quite happy to stink the place out and leave a mess everywhere are somehow friendly and accommodating so it must be horses for courses to some extent.
Still, obfuscating a word completely is a bit much at least a smoker walking along, puffing at their f ags and coughing out their vile, nicotine and coffee breath all over people only cause partial loss of ability to breathe clean air whereas changing f ag for *** is total.

At least if they changed it to cancer sticks it would make sense here. Unless someone wrote Sheldon is a little ***. In other countries it might not make sense.

As to charging etiquette, there are several threads on the subject and several threads on people being an arse at a chargepoint and numerous threads about scroungers charging at Tesco and the like.

It seems there are kind individuals and complete arsehats everywhere one goes and people at chargepoints are no exception.

Gaz

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
There's a lady with a hybrid range rover I've seen parking at a charger at my local Tesco and she spent half an hour talking on the phone before even attempting to plug her car in. Fortunately I was the only other person charging and she didn't appear to be hindering anyone else. But why couldn't she plug in first then piddle about on the phone? Multitasking obviously isn't for everyone!!
Some people put their oven gloves on beforehand. She would be from the other camp.
Like those who stop in the middle of the road and abandon their car for 10 minutes rather than taking 15 seconds more to park in the space just in front of them.
Certain people attract verbal abuse and have no clue why.

Gaz

·
Registered
Hyundai Ioniq 28
10,548 Posts
......... obfuscating a word completely is a bit much .................
The f ag word is accepted in dictionaries for several meanings, including the cigarette one, and several others. This site also asterisks away other perfectly normal words that are in common use such as dy ke. But allows numerous sweary words. Really odd.

·
Registered
4,019 Posts
The f ag word is accepted in dictionaries for several meanings, including the cigarette one, and several others. This site also asterisks away other perfectly normal words that are in common use such as dy ke. But allows numerous sweary words. Really odd.
Yes one can swear away to one's hearts content and be clear as day, upsetting all sorts of snowflakes and religious zealots and that arsetoilet character but dare to suggest you might want to save the village by sticking your finger in the **** and you might as well own up to being Jimmy Saville's mentor.

What's that all aboot?

Gaz

Reactions: Scrooge

·
Registered
Peugeot e2008
208 Posts
Some were more than willing to curtail their charge target once they knew where you were going and how much you would need to charge after they had completed ahead of you.

Only one guy was unwilling to shorten his charge even though I was low and on a long journey
Devils advocate a little, but:

You appear to have wanted to "jump the queue" many times there - ok once if you're desparate, but the above reads like you've asked every time...

Apart from those sitting at slow charge rates (and even this is >90% on modern EVs) you shouldn't automatically expect anyone to move at all.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Expecting others to stop charging and let you jump the queue is a bit like asking people in front of you at the supermarket check out to let you go first because you only have a few items and won’t take long, urgently need to be somewhere or have left the dog in the car and need to get back etc, etc. The supermarkets deal with long waiting times by opening more checkouts, having single basket lanes, and self checkouts etc. Their customers are not expect to self police and negotiate who’s turn it is next. Yes I know on very rare occasions people allow others to “go first”, I sometimes do it myself, but this is usually because the other person has a clear and obvious difficulty.

These solutions do not directly apply to charge points but, as with supermarkets, in the long run the solution must come from the charge point operators.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts