Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 20 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
OK, today’s dumb question.
Dealer mentioned a ‘free 6 month card‘ for charging. Think he also mentioned Pod Point (or was it BP Pulse?), anyway what are the best options after that? Seen mention of free chargers (Aldi?) do they exist? I guess it might vary by where in the UK someone lives and / or visits but is there a no brained out there to sign up for?
TIA

·
Registered
78 Posts
I
OK, today’s dumb question.
Dealer mentioned a ‘free 6 month card‘ for charging. Think he also mentioned Pod Point (or was it BP Pulse?), anyway what are the best options after that? Seen mention of free chargers (Aldi?) do they exist? I guess it might vary by where in the UK someone lives and / or visits but is there a no brained out there to sign up for?
TIA
He may be referring to a certain make of charger, it could be BPpulse or any other make. Some companies have a subscription service which allows you discounted electricity, I found one that charged a whopping 70p per kilowatt hour, but if you subscribe for £7.99 per month it reduces to 40p. Some dealers offer 5000 miles or 6 month of free electricity by way of a pre-paid card, but again it'll be only at certain chargers, so make sure they are in your area or it'll be not much use. Easy way is to ask the dealer what he's 'giving you' if the card is only valid at a certain chargers and they are miles away from you, then he's not giving you much, it might give you a bit of haggle room for some mats or soft toy. After that, we'll a lot of companies are now installing chargers that accept contact less debit card, a lot require you to download an app (pod point at aldi/lidl) and tap in the charger number to initiate a charge.

·
Registered
78 Posts
I

He may be referring to a certain make of charger, it could be BPpulse or any other make. Some companies have a subscription service which allows you discounted electricity, I found one that charged a whopping 70p per kilowatt hour, but if you subscribe for £7.99 per month it reduces to 40p. Some dealers offer 5000 miles or 6 month of free electricity by way of a pre-paid card, but again it'll be only at certain chargers, so make sure they are in your area or it'll be not much use. Easy way is to ask the dealer what he's 'giving you' if the card is only valid at a certain chargers and they are miles away from you, then he's not giving you much, it might give you a bit of haggle room for some mats or soft toy. After that, we'll a lot of companies are now installing chargers that accept contact less debit card, a lot require you to download an app (pod point at aldi/lidl) and tap in the charger number to initiate a charge.
PS. Shell have a number of superchargers and you have to have a 'card' to activate them, the card is free from Shell,when you sign up to the app simply request one and it gets sent to your home.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
764 Posts
It's very variable, depending on where you live/ where you're travelling and need to charge.

Instavolt is the best of the bunch - reliable, plenty of them, easy to use. No sign-up needed, just tap your credit/ debit card.

But you will probably find yourself using whichever is the most convenient, and it;'s worth downloading the apps etc ahead of time, rather than at the roadside in the rain. There's a really good summary of the networks on Zap Map.

·
Registered
78 Posts
It's very variable, depending on where you live/ where you're travelling and need to charge.

Instavolt is the best of the bunch - reliable, plenty of them, easy to use. No sign-up needed, just tap your credit/ debit card.

But you will probably find yourself using whichever is the most convenient, and it;'s worth downloading the apps etc ahead of time, rather than at the roadside in the rain. There's a really good summary of the networks on Zap Map.

I agree 100% Instavolt seem to be the best of the bunch, ioncity are also pretty decent and incredibly fast charging (Cambridge services on M11)
Great advice about downloading the apps first before you need them, my local Lidl has pod point but requires a decent signal on your phone and my area (Selby, North Yorks) is notorious for having crap O2 signal. You can spot the EV drivers on O2 cos they are waving their phones about looking for a signal like its 1989.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I

Wait… there’s a soft toy? Tell me more!

Seriously though, is 40p / kWh typical?? Surely, based on *** packet maths, that’s not far off the cost of running an economical diesel in terms of just ’fuel’ costs.
So taking Aldi as an example (one near me, I use Aldi weekly) I can’t just rock up there, park, plug in and shop without any interactions? For some reason I thought you got something like 20mins free on those chargers, no idea where I might have picked that up from though, so can’t revisit. Those 20 mins would have been perfect for me as that’s about how long I spend in there.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Thanks.

Ive had the Zap Map installed for a while and occasionally have a look at it - often seeing those words “fault reported x hours / days ago”

·
Registered
78 Posts

Seriously though, is 40p / kWh typical?? Surely, based on *** packet maths, that’s not far off the cost of running an economical diesel in terms of just ’fuel’ costs.
So taking Aldi as an example (one near me, I use Aldi weekly) I can’t just rock up there, park, plug in and shop without any interactions? For some reason I thought you got something like 20mins free on those chargers, no idea where I might have picked that up from though, so can’t revisit. Those 20 mins would have been perfect for me as that’s about how long I spend in there.
My local Morrisons charge 40p per Kwh. My local lidl charge 22p, it varies by so much, also very fast chargers will cost more. My example of 70p per Kwh was supplying at 150kwh. I had a, full charge in under 30 mins.
I don't think you will get much 'juice' from a 20 min charge as your lidl will probably only provide either 7 or 22kw per hour. I charge mine at home where my electric is currently 18p per Kwh and at work where its free.
Good advice would be to research your electricity supplier and see if they have a cheap tariff, most have cheap night time tariffs when you can charge between midnight and 7am for 5p per Kwh.

·
Registered
Peugeot e-208
764 Posts

40p is currently a typical price. Gridserve is less - 30p on the motorway, 23p at it's forecourts. Ionity is a lot more. Yep, I work that out at similar to a (very) efficient ICE car. But you have to look at the average price paid. If you're getting most of your electrons at 5p at home, and just a few at 40p it's not too bad. If you're entirely reliant on rapid charges and have a penchant for Ionity, it will be expensive.

Unfortunately, parking restrictions opens up a huge can of worms. You'll always need to check the signs - you can't rely on being able to park for free as a non-customer. Even if you can at another branch of the same supermarket/ charger. The more 'city centre' the location, the closer you should check the parking rules.

Reactions: Panda

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks.

Ive had the Zap Map installed for a while and occasionally have a look at it - often seeing those words “fault reported x hours / days ago”
Zap map isn't infallible, I was in London last week and it said there were 14 public chargers near me.... Yes there was 14, but in a private underground car park. Chargemaster or BP pulse as they are now known are the most unreliable. What make of car are you buying, or hope to? I made the switch several months ago and have never looked back.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Thanks.

Oh and don't forget service costs of an EV... mine are a whopping £58 per year..lol Until about 40000 miles then it's £500 cos they have to 'balance' the battery cells.

·
Registered
78 Posts
40p is currently a typical price. Gridserve is less - 30p on the motorway, 23p at it's forecourts. Ionity is a lot more. Yep, I work that out at similar to a (very) efficient ICE car. But you have to look at the average price paid. If you're getting most of your electrons at 5p at home, and just a few at 40p it's not too bad. If you're entirely reliant on rapid charges and have a penchant for Ionity, it will be expensive.

Unfortunately, parking restrictions opens up a huge can of worms. You'll always need to check the signs - you can't rely on being able to park for free as a non-customer. Even if you can at another branch of the same supermarket/ charger. The more 'city centre' the location, the closer you should check the parking rules.
As Rich says, check the parking rules, this forum is littered with folks who think they can park up, plug in and toddle off for hours, then seem surprised when they get a parking penalty notice. One guy plugged his in and left it for 7 hours!!! and seemed 'put out' when he got a penalty. Hmmm.

·
Registered
2021 Citroën ë-C4 Shine Plus
237 Posts
So taking Aldi as an example (one near me, I use Aldi weekly) I can’t just rock up there, park, plug in and shop without any interactions?
I think most new Aldi’s if not all newly built, now have at least two charge points. The newest ALDI to spring up local to myself has 2 7kW posts which require no cards or payment of any kind - simply plug your cable in and your car will start charging. So yes just rock up and charge whilst you shop, no worries..

·
Registered
78 Posts

You'll need to download the pod point app for Aldi/Lidl. Give your inside leg measurement and blood of your first born, mutter some strange incantation then enter the number of the charger you are using and after a short time lag of a minute or less, it'll start charging. You can either pay by debit card contact less or thro the app. It only takes a click or two.

·
Registered
eNiro 64kWh 2021. Ioniq 38kWh 2020.
1,162 Posts

It all depends on where you get your charge from, the speed and location. Typically the home cost (without a special off-peak deal) is about 14p kWh. The wholesale price is about 7p KW, but charging companies will be paying a little bit above this rate. Most free chargers are about 7kW, with cheap to instal charging points at destinations like car parks, supermarkets and leisure centres. They can get some grants for this and will offset any electricity against profit and their overall environmental policy.

Rapid and ultra-charging is a different kettle of fish. You have significant hardware costs, labour costs, rental of space, maintenance, digital infrastructure, help lines etc. I have seen an estimate for DC Fast charger installation from £20,000-£100,000 (I expect that the upper cost is a 350kW charger), the cost comes down if you are installing many. So, you can see that paying 40p for 175kw chargers really isn't that bad. What I don't like is paying 40p for 7kw, which I have seen in some places. Even at 40p per kw, the locations are probably making more money from the overpriced coffee & snacks they are selling in the short-medium term.

I have posted somewhere else, that the best thing to do is think of your total year charging rather than each individual charge; some of mine is free at work and certain destinations, most is at home at 14p, some at rapids about 30p and occasionally 40-70p if I am on a long trip and just want to get a move on. Overall, it works out much less than fuel (until the Government find a new way to tax cars, so enjoy whilst you can ;)).

Reactions: Flash DaEV

·
Registered
78 Posts
I think most new Aldi’s if not all newly built, now have at least two charge points. The newest ALDI to spring up local to myself has 2 7kW posts which require no cards or payment of any kind - simply plug your cable in and your car will start charging. So yes just rock up and charge whilst you shop, no worries..
My new Lidl needs the pod point app. Which is great but the phone (O2) reception is rubbish to initiate the charger.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,762 Posts
I'd use both plug share and zapmap to see what is around home / destinations / enroute-long trips.
It really does totally vary around the country.
Also see the comments people put >about their experience< -- often this will save a failed visit or a slow one.
You may find a 150kW charger point but for various reasons your car might not drink above 37 that day - this can be frustrating as you've no real way to check before you commit financially to the charge
(Thinking especially Ionity here but I have been burnt on BP Pulses that one day gave 74 another 42. )

In terms of you hearing about 20mins free, not that I know of, but it may be a slur on places like PodPoint 7 or 22kw points where default you get 15mins automatically, but if you "check in" on their app to claim the charge it will continue (still for free, no £/kw) onwards from there.
15mins on a 7kW is no use to anyone really.

Tescos, some not all, have some stumpy posts marked 22kW and if your car can drink at 11 (or a Zoe) these are nice useful if you can combine some activities as well as the supermarket visit. eg walk to a library, other shops, Zoom Meeting -- 90mins on one of these for £0.00 is quite a nice improvement to the day.
If the Tescos has a Rapid 50kW unit ( at quite a reasonable fee £/kW ), then it will have a billboard free 7kW and a free stumpy post 22kW. Remember to "claim the charge" on the app.
If is doesn't have a rapid unit but the billboard+post they are both normally free 7kW --- have a look on the stumpy post top to see what it is rated at.

·
Registered
Renault Zoe ZE50 GT-Line Rapid Charge
3,739 Posts
One near me just re-opened after being demolished and rebuilt elsewhere on the site. It has 4 22kW AC chargepoints that Aldi pay the power bill for.

You'll need to download the pod point app for Aldi/Lidl. Give your inside leg measurement and blood of your first born, mutter some strange incantation then enter the number of the charger you are using and after a short time lag of a minute or less, it'll start charging. You can either pay by debit card contact less or thro the app. It only takes a click or two.
Podpoint for Lidl, Newmotion for new-build Aldi.

·
Registered
74 Posts
I recommend downloading Zapmap (or looking at it online) - that'll show you the chargers in your area and where you want to go so you can work out which networks you might want to register for.
If you can charge at home, I recommend getting a home charger.
Networks like Instavolt and Osprey don't require you to register and take contactless payments at their rapids (although you may need to register if you want a receipt easily?)
I suppose technically all the networks allow "guest" charging apart from podpoint and tesla, but the ones above have been the easiest and most reliable so far IME. Gridserve are replacing the old ecotricity units at MSAs, they are also contactless, although I believe an app is coming soon.
VW did a deal with Tesco to install podpoint chargers so you should find podpoint at your local tesco - the 7kW ones might be free (our local ones are) but the rapid (if there is one) is not.

·
Registered
Mercedes EQC 400 4matic on order
121 Posts
Reading through these posts it seems an absolute minefield in the UK. with the parking charges issues. Lidl here are free but only 7kw chargers. The local supermarkets in my area, it may be different in the big cities, do not go in for charging to park so there are no worries in that regard but they do tie the chargers to loyalty cards, free to obtain. I understand I have to have my loyalty card activated for charging and to do so will need to show the cars reg doc, that is a very typical french beaurocratic approach🙄 but once set up I will be good to go. The local authority chargers can be used either with a RFID card or contactless but the charge is differentiated with a connection charge if using the CC of 2.50 euro. Ionity is the main biggest differential charger and they charge per minute not kwh but maybe that stops people clogging up the space too long🤔 Home electricity on night rate is dearer at around 11centimes but it is all green virtually without any need to swap to a green only though you can do so. Or perhaps I should say it is non CO2 being 80% nuclear whether that is green really is of course another debate but we have wind turbines everywhere now. My car is finally on its way so I can translate all I have read and seen into reality soon🤞

1 - 20 of 87 Posts