Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone!

I got my first EV yesterday (MG ZS), but did not get a type 2 cable (I've been promised one for free, but let's see how that works out!). As I've mentioned in another thread, I don't have a home charger (only have on-street parking), so I'll need to depend on public charging.

I know most public charging providers require that you have your own cable, but I could have sworn I've seen videos where people charge their EVs with tethered cables. While I wait for my cable issue to be resolved, are there networks which have tethered cables?

Thanks (y)

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
All rapid chargers (the 50kW+ jobs) have a tethered cable for CCS (or Chademo).
Most public AC charge points (mainly 7kW fast chargers) have no cable, so you'll need your own.

·
Registered
2,184 Posts
I've seen videos where people charge their EVs with tethered cables.
Apparently in the USA tethered AC charging cables are more common (and then requires duplication so that cars with both Type 1 and Type 2 [although this standard is less common in the USA] charging inlets are catered for).

In the UK, only the Tesla Destination charging points and some Rapid charging points have tethered (Type 2) AC charging cables - no use for my Leaf which has a Type 1 charging inlet. All the other public AC charging points are socketed Type 2, so you bring along your own appropriate charging lead (which then fits the charging inlet of your car).

1 - 3 of 3 Posts