Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Most chargers in my area seem to be working but most of them don't have my fitting (ampere) so I have to wait till I get home to charge up. can you get an adapter like the Tesler one to convert the plug from 7 pin to 5 pin? I am not an electrician but looking at the plugs and sockets available you could get a small electrical box fit a plug and socket to it to convert from one to the other, the problem is the price of the plug/sockets as to if its worth the cost or charge it at home.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
Sorry I mean the big rapid charge connection (gun)
If it's the CHAdeMO connector (see below) then it's DC and electrically incompatible with your car.

image.jpg

If it's the CCS connector (see below) then it's DC and electrically incompatible with your car.

image.jpg

If it's the Type 2 tethered connector (see below) then it's AC and it would be possible to modify a Type 2 to Type 1 cable and plug it in.

However, if a Leaf driver finds you charging at 3kW on a rapid charger they will be more than a little upset (possibly life threatening) ;)

image.jpg

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
If it's the CHAdeMO connector (see below) then it's DC and electrically incompatible with your car.

View attachment 1060

If it's the CCS connector (see below) then it's DC and electrically incompatible with your car.

View attachment 1061

If it's the Type 2 tethered connector (see below) then it's AC and it would be possible to modify a Type 2 to Type 1 cable and plug it in.

However, if a Leaf driver finds you charging at 3kW on a rapid charger they will be more than a little upset (possibly life threatening) ;)

View attachment 1062
Yes I understand the different types plugs I was just pointing out the types that are or are not fitted at different stations and I was referring to the possibility of a 7 pin to a 5 pin adapter. not D.C.

·
Registered
2,155 Posts
I think the answer is that the Ampera was not designed to make use of the Rapid chargers and, I believe, the standards do not allow you to fit any sort of converter box/plug (unless approved by either the charger manufacturer or the vehicle manufacturer).
So, sadly it seems, if there are no Type 2 or 13-amp public chargers in your area then yes, you're limited to charging at home.

·
Banned
3,715 Posts
I was referring to the possibility of a 7 pin to a 5 pin adapter. not D.C.
No adaptors exist for plugging in a Type 2 ("7 pin") car connector that then plugs into a Type 1 ("5 pin") car connector.

That said however, here's a cable modification that accomplishes the same thing;

https://speakev.com/threads/charging-tesla-roadster-at-60a-on-ac-rapids.2406/

If you start charging at 3kW on a rapid charger please do it late at night and don't publicise it on Speak EV... the charging police will not be amused when they find the rapid DC charger blocked by an Ampera ;)

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Yes I understand the different types plugs I was just pointing out the types that are or are not fitted at different stations and I was referring to the possibility of a 7 pin to a 5 pin adapter. not D.C.
When you say 7-pin and 5-pin... I am not sure what you mean by these.

Do you mean the Type 2 on the AC rapid chargers?

1 - 12 of 12 Posts