Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just got my new ‘19 e-golf SE and am climbing the learning curve with your help. Please advise on which apps I need (Chargepoint, evgo ...) to use most public chargers. Is there a generic app that allows connection to multiple carriers stations or do they each have their own? I see some stations with card slots too. I assume their proprietary card can be used in place of an app, but I don’t know if some stations require a card only.

And do free stations require an app or login of some kind?

One more - is plugshare the recommended app for locating stations?
thanks!!

·
Registered
780 Posts
Use plugshare and take a look along the routes you drive to see what charging stations you’re likely to use. It will tell you who operates them and which apps (or cards) are accepted and therefore what you’ll need to sign up for.

For the most part you’re stuck with an app or card for each network you want to use and it’s not uncommon for EV drivers to end up having several charging apps on their phone.

As for free charging stations it really depends if they are networked or not. Some will require the app to claim a free charge, others may have a RFID card you ask to borrow from the location who hosts the free charger, others may just let you plug right in and take a charge without any other steps required.

Probably not the simple answer you hoped for, but unfortunately this is how public charging is. Hopefully things change in the future where you can activate any charging station anywhere for a fair price just by tapping your credit card

·
Registered
24 Posts
Congrats! I have a 2019 eGolf, too. Not sure about CA. Here in VA, I use 3 apps:
1. Volta - check these first bc they're FREE. They pay for themselves by the advertising on their big flat panel display.
2. EVgo - these seem to be more prevalent in VA / DC / MD. I registered for the card to make it easy to swipe / tap the card and start charging. I try not to use fast charging, but on the two or three times I've used fast charging since I got my eGolf in September, they have all been EVgo.
3. ChargePoint - these are less prevalent around the DC / MD / VA area. I have a ChargePoint home charger though, so the app controls my home charger. of note, the ChargePoint app will also show you where EVgo chargers are, but then I use the EVgo card to charge my car at EVgo stations.
Word of advice: Do NOT try to use Google maps to find where the nearest EV charger is. I thought that would be a good way to find EV chargers regardless of what company ot was with. The problem is, they show a lot of EV chargers that are in private parking garages and not open to the public. After multiple experiences of driving someplace thinking I was going to find a charger there, I gave up and just use those three apps listed above.

·
Registered
101 Posts
Plugshare is the best, but does not show live status for all networks. Best to have Chargepoint and EVgo and Electrify America, too, for live status and/or pricing details for when Plugshare doesn't give all the info.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts