Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So just got my Nissan Leaf, only really charge at home via my British Gas / Polar charging unit.

I have my ChargeMaster card but it would seem that the vast majority of these public points are in car parks, which means if you want to charge you have to pay for parking, I'm looking for 100% free charging!

Are there charging stations / posts not in car parks? Thus you don't have to pay anything?

Thanks
P.S also have my Ecotricity card, are there any other charging cards I should register for?

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I think you may have just been lucky Paul or is it a feature of car parks around Milton Keynes not to charge for parking?

Everywhere I have charged where it was in a non-free car park I have had to pay for parking.

If you want totally free charging (and who doesn't :) ) then look for charging stations at supermarkets, Little Chefs, may be park and rides (may have to buy a bus ticket :) ), pubs. Basically places where you wouldn't expect to pay for parking anyway.

Having said that... if you are getting free charging why would you expect free parking also?

You may have to pay for parking at some IKEA Ecotricity rapid chargers too BTW. I know that not all of them charge for parking but I know that some do.

What other cards you need depends on where you are driving. For London then a Source London card will help. Anywhere else you will have to check for that particular area. It can even go down to a particular town.

·
Ampera aka IGOR
3,435 Posts
I have four cards.
Chargemaster - which I use when shopping at Asda in Perth or Forfar
Charge Your Car - used in the Park & Ride car parks around my area and one car park in Perth though not sure if it includes free parking or not as they are not yet 'live' though I have used it once.
Ecotricity - not used yet, but was free so thought it was better to have just in case.
Pod point - not used as yet but I was under the impression that Fife Council uses them and I can be in that area sometimes.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
So just got my Nissan Leaf, only really charge at home via my British Gas / Polar charging unit.

I have my ChargeMaster card but it would seem that the vast majority of these public points are in car parks, which means if you want to charge you have to pay for parking, I'm looking for 100% free charging!

Are there charging stations / posts not in car parks? Thus you don't have to pay anything?

Thanks
P.S also have my Ecotricity card, are there any other charging cards I should register for?
Congratulations on joining the enlightened :)

If you're incredibly lucky, you may have a local ASDA that pro-actively polices their EV charging bays. These will be free to use.

However, I would personally never plan on using a type2 post in any car park run by NCP or other commercial operators - those chargers will be in placed in unmarked bays that are blocked by combustion engined cars, almost without fail.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Just parked up in Maidenhead Hines Meadow car park and the ChargeMaster wasn't ICEd but it's not working.

Phoned chargemaster, next Wednesday they are hoping for a fix.

Glad I didn't pay for parking on this occasion.

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Just parked up in Maidenhead Hines Meadow car park and the ChargeMaster wasn't ICEd but it's not working.

Phoned chargemaster, next Wednesday they are hoping for a fix.

Glad I didn't pay for parking on this occasion.
Yeah... but look how shiny it is!

·
Registered
74 Posts
Went to a brand new ASDA in Dagenham today, 10 new chargemaster posts and 9 of them with ICE cars in them, a very annoyed looking ASDA man placing notices on the windscreen, my local IKEA says that if a ICE car is parked in the charge bay you should block he car in and go to customer services!!!!

·
Registered
1,560 Posts
Went to a brand new ASDA in Dagenham today, 10 new chargemaster posts and 9 of them with ICE cars in them, a very annoyed looking ASDA man placing notices on the windscreen, my local IKEA says that if a ICE car is parked in the charge bay you should block he car in and go to customer services!!!!
It's incredible that they've (ASDA) actually got a member of staff actively policing that - it contrasts well with my local ASDA where no one really gives a flying fish. Fair play. It's just a shame they don't have a nation-wide policy on charging space enforcement.

I've often found myself thinking about doing what IKEA advised!

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
The only ASDA I have charged at was ICEd with staff cars! DOH!

I mentioned it politely and in a very friendly way to the manager and he said he'd get them moved but when I returned later the same day there were two different cars in the bays. I am certain they were staff too as the bays are not in the main part of the car park and right by the staff entrance.

This is going to be a real battle while there aren't many EVs around.

·
Registered
280 Posts
Thanks for this summary re which cards to source - exactly the info I was after.
It may be noted elsewhere on here, but when Chargemaster called me they explained the card would only be valid until the end of March 2014, but still wanted £10. They then switch to a paid for system ? I said I'd wait for the new system to come in.
Registered with Ecotricity and called them as I didn't seem to get an email confirmation. They advised I was registered and as cards take a couple of weeks to issue I could call the number on their chargeposts to be remotely connected if I needed to in the meantime - very impressive.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Ecotricity are amazing! I am currently negotiating with Npower to get out of a contract to start up with them. I was at IKEA lakeside today and the rapid was down! I called them and they said an engineer was on their way???I come out after 30 mins to this......
you can't beat that! The guy even apologised for it being down, no worries mate, I drove to thurrock services, it's only half a mile away!!!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts