Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
137 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been looking at various types of public charging points available in my area. They are listed as follows:
  1. BS1363 3 Pin 13 Amp. Level 2 : Medium (Over 2kW) 13A/230V
  2. Blue Commando (2P+E). Level 2 : Medium (Over 2kW) 32A/230V
  3. Rating: 7kW 32A. Supply: 1-phase AC. Socket: Type 2 Mennekes.
Will options 2 or 3 offer faster charging on my Leaf, seeing as it does not have the 6.6 kw onboard charger?
And will they both require separate cables or are there adaptors available?

Thanks,
Rod

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
Options 2 and 3 will offer slightly faster charging (at 16A vs 10A).

They all require different cables. Option 1 needs the EVSE brick which is supplied as standard with a 3.3kW LEAF. Option 3 needs a Type 1 to Type 2 cable – probably handy if you intend to use public chargers a lot because the Type 2 socket is the 'standard'.

A Type 1 to Type 2 cable costs around £150 – it takes a lot of 'free' electricity to make the outlay worthwhile compared to home charging.

·
Registered
449 Posts
Option 2 o's very tricky as you will need a modified EVSE brick with a 32a commando plug to theb connect to the car with a type 1 plug. .. looking at £400 plus

·
Registered
366 Posts
Option 2 not so tricky for a 3.3 OBC.

Recouping your outlay isn't always as simple as how much free electricity you can get, depending on your circumstances, your time and flexibility should be just as big a factor.

·
887 Posts
Recouping your outlay isn't always as simple as how much free electricity you can get, depending on your circumstances, your time and flexibility should be just as big a factor.
Good point, also bear in mind that the cable could still have a decent value secondhand if the time comes to part with it.

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
I don't use my Type 1/2 very often considering how much it cost me. However, I regard it as I do my breakdown cover - it's there to get me out of a hole, and it has done that a few times when rapid chargers have been falling like ninepins on a foggy or a rainy night. I think it has been used four or five times in an emergency and also for short top-ups when the last rapid charger on the route I'm using gives me a charge that's only borderline to get me home.

When I'm out and about I tend to try out the 7kw chargers on my routes, just to make sure that I know exactly where they are and that they work.

·
Super Moderator
11,988 Posts
You can charge at 10Amps (about 2.3kW) from a commando plug with an inexpensive caravan adaptor and the EVSE brick that came with your car.

No new Commando or 3-pin charge points are being installed. Many of the Blue Commando charge points will be upgraded to Type-2 Mennekes. Some already have -- your map may be out of date.

Hard to say if you should get the leads -- depends on your situation. We need some of them but there are no rapid chargers in North Wales.

·
Registered
3,462 Posts
If you go to campsites a lot, the £13 commando adapter may be worth having (just don't use it in the rain).

Many of the Blue Commando charge points will be upgraded to Type-2 Mennekes.
You sure about that? You talking about the original ZCW ones? They have to pay for an upgrade and I suspect a lot of the forward thinking establishments that took up the offer, probably haven't seen the uptake in business thay had hoped (unfortunately). I stopped at a hotel in summer that had ZCW commando/3pin and I was the second person to use it in 4 years. Apparently the staff were intrigued because it was actually being used.

·
Registered
377 Posts
Can you get a extention cable to go into the type one to 2 cable

1 - 9 of 9 Posts