Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi fellow Ev'ers,

I am encouraged to see that at the new Westgate in Oxford has invested in 50 (yes 50!) charging points ranging from 7kw to 22kw. Some are free, some charge (no pun intended).

I would encourage anyone who thinks we still need more in Oxford or Abingdon to contact their local MP as I have done. We need more charging points! I've seen a dramatic increase recently.

There's funding available but there doesn't really seem to be a plan, the local councils are moving at the usual pace but I see some councils pushing on and using the grant money up, I think a little gentle pressure wouldn't go amiss!

Thanks all,

Chris.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
We've already got a thread about the new Westgate: New Westgate shopping centre - Oxford

I think the relevant thing here is that the Council has no say in what happens regarding the new Westgate Centre parking. It's a private business actually doing something while the council potters along in their own universe.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I hadn't realised about the other thread i'll check it out, but it does still apply for the surrounding areas.

I'm afraid you're right about the councils - there seems to be an apathy over the requirement and no idea about how to gain funding. It is a little frustrating when the grants are there and there's such a promoted push in the greater government to go green etc etc etc.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,632 Posts
Councils are struggling to maintain the services they currently manage without adding to their woes.

I would be interested in knowing how the chargers were included as part of the Westgate build, was it a condition of planning approval or did they just do it off their own bat.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was privately financed.

As far as woes go though: installing ev chargers in conjunction with the providers out there should be really just entail the initial install as far as the council are concerned - so planning permission and maybe initial installation to a degree?

Ongoing maintenance should be provided by the provider. No sure what woes they would receive?

You are right, they should not be council run.

·
Registered
262 Posts
I don't think it is necessarily wrong for councils to run chargers, especially if they find it hard to get private companies to install enough. Councils have obligations to improve air quality and reduce local pollution. Funding chargers to increase EV take-up seems like a legitimate (if long term) approach.

Steve

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I think they'll be a mixture of council chargers and private ones.

I am encouraged to see the approach Shell is taking with its first charging points, yes they charge to charge (25p/Kw - special promo) but they do offer a cup of tea and encourage you to go into there shop while you charge.

Okay, they are encouraging you to spend a penny while you charge, but I for one don't mind this.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,632 Posts
I think they'll be a mixture of council chargers and private ones.

I am encouraged to see the approach Shell is taking with its first charging points, yes they charge to charge (25p/Kw - special promo) but they do offer a cup of tea and encourage you to go into there shop while you charge.

Okay, they are encouraging you to spend a penny while you charge, but I for one don't mind this.
Hopefully the Shell model will inspire other charge providers to go PAYG instead of insisting that you jump through hoops before you are allowed to charge.

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
Hopefully the Shell model will inspire other charge providers to go PAYG instead of insisting that you jump through hoops before you are allowed to charge.
Except you still need an app or RFID tag for Shell. I would prefer the Instavolt model won out in the long run.

·
Registered
38 Posts
Hi fellow Ev'ers,

I am encouraged to see that at the new Westgate in Oxford has invested in 50 (yes 50!) charging points ranging from 7kw to 22kw. Some are free, some charge (no pun intended).

I would encourage anyone who thinks we still need more in Oxford or Abingdon to contact their local MP as I have done. We need more charging points! I've seen a dramatic increase recently.

There's funding available but there doesn't really seem to be a plan, the local councils are moving at the usual pace but I see some councils pushing on and using the grant money up, I think a little gentle pressure wouldn't go amiss!

Thanks all,

Chris.
You do know about Oxford's Go Ultra Low project? Maybe I read your post wrongly, but there is a plan and they are going to deliver on it so why write to your MP about Oxford when they have secured funding and have a roll out lined up?

·
Registered
699 Posts
I don't know about the EV chargers, but the Westgate had 1000 bike parking places as part of their planning permission and so far they have removed bike parking that was there and not replaced it at all...

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Except you still need an app or RFID tag for Shell. I would prefer the Instavolt model won out in the long run.
I did read somewhere one provider was looking into recognising your actual vehicle (maybe anpr?) So you literally just drive up and plug in. Especially when this technology is already present at filling stations???

Shell was staying with the app option but I don't see why it can be a drive up and pay in the shop option (as on the old ICE pumps - "pay in shop"??

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
You do know about Oxford's Go Ultra Low project? Maybe I read your post wrongly, but there is a plan and they are going to deliver on it so why write to your MP about Oxford when they have secured funding and have a roll out lined up?
I did use Oxford as a good example, not a negative one, but there is an absence of Rapid chargers locally? There is only one run by Ecotricity at the Oxford services (but I would criticise this one for the absence of phone support at the weekends), the size that Oxford is there really needs to be a second Rapid (a plan B, you might say?).

My comment was to draw attention to other local areas really, aside from Oxford, I think they could do better? Is that an unfair appraisal?

·
Registered
1,175 Posts
If Shell were really serious,they would provide a "pay in the shop" method,any charge provider offering a PAYG system will win,
i much prefer to pay in cash for everything and have no interest in apps,RFid or any other pre paid/card hackable BS system,
Ta very muchly.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
If Shell were really serious,they would provide a "pay in the shop" method,any charge provider offering a PAYG system will win,
i much prefer to pay in cash for everything and have no interest in apps,RFid or any other pre paid/card hackable BS system,
Ta very muchly.
I agree, and I think they will.

I think they have sped the inclusion of ev charging through and they want to hear this sort of feed back. I'll get on to the site and feedback. I would encourage everyone else to do the same. As usual this will be lead by everyone that uses the sites (or by the early adopters who know which way it should be).

Im popping an email across about the pay in cash and anpr options (you never know they might listen). [email protected] (this is the general public email address for enquiries).

·
Registered
4,937 Posts
I did use Oxford as a good example, not a negative one, but there is an absence of Rapid chargers locally? There is only one run by Ecotricity at the Oxford services (but I would criticise this one for the absence of phone support at the weekends), the size that Oxford is there really needs to be a second Rapid (a plan B, you might say?).
It's not quite that bad: to the west of the city you have Oxford Services (EH) and the Belfry hotel (Polar), to the north there are Peartree Services (but no CCS) and BP on the A40 (CPG). To the south you have Abingdon Waitrose (Polar) and the Didcot services (Polar+) and then in Cowley you have the BMW plant (free!)

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
It's not quite that bad: to the west of the city you have Oxford Services (EH) and the Belfry hotel (Polar), to the north there are Peartree Services (but no CCS) and BP on the A40 (CPG). To the south you have Abingdon Waitrose (Polar) and the Didcot services (Polar+) and then in Cowley you have the BMW plant (free!)
Not quite that bad for the amount of vehicles that have been on the road up until now.

Moving on? I'm not sure? I see at least a doubling of vehicles wanting to use the chargers and therefore an increase in a queue.

Admittedly I wouldn't want to travel too far to charge: a 10-15 mile trip to the next charger is reasonable but not very convenient in the real consumer world?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Again, I don't get your posts....Sorry I'm not picking a row, just not sure you have the market gauged correctly.

Wouldn't you like 90% of EV users charge at home, rather than be prepared to drive 10 to 15 miles for a rapid charge? Or maybe I misinterpreted your point??

Range will improve as new products come and 40KWh + battery packs will become the norm once for new models and mid life enhancements once the new Leaf is available for volume deliveries. Until we get 60 KWh cars at sub £30k, sub £300 PCP people will buy a PHEV instead for higher mileage. This is the trend today and until company car tax changes in 2020 or a similar stimulus comes along, this isn't going to change.

Also the rollout plan for Go Ultra Low Oxford is well known and is planned to coincide with slow but steady increase in EV in their region. There will be continued growth in EV ownership and useage over the next couple of years, but there just aren't going to be thousands of BEVs (sadly) queuing up for their turn at rapid chargers for a few years yet.

·
Registered
262 Posts
Chicken and egg. If there was the flood of roadside chargers then a BEV with 150 mile range would suddenly be a plausible choice for a lot more people, and they wouldn't be waiting for longer range cars. Why bring home charging into it? The question isn't whether people can charge at home (they can) but whether they can make realistic use of a moderate range EV for long journeys. By realistic I mean such that the mechanics of planning and charging en route doesn't dominate the journey, with all the risk, well documented here, of unpredictable journey times etc.

Steve

·
Registered
38 Posts
My home charging comment was linked to the OP saying he would travel 10 to 15 miles round trip to use a rapid charge? Surely a comment about home charging is perfectly sensible in that context?.... there was no mention of long distance journeys in his posts.

i agree with you, in that more rapids would encourage uptake of BEVs with say 150 mile range, the consensus is 200 mile real world range is the tipping point for mass adoption. There are already several rapids scattered around Oxford and not that many Evs (yet).

1 - 20 of 34 Posts