Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi,
I've had an older style (64 plate) Leaf for a few years. Most of the time it is perfect for the driving I do day to day and I charge at home as required. Occasionally I cant swap with hubbies diesel machine for a longer journey so I begin the epic process of planning my charging route.
Motorways, great I can rapid charge at the ecotricity points at the services. In the last year or so I have noticed (and been caught out) by the charging points that don't supply the cable. When I started my EV journey this didn't happen but the new charging set ups for example in city centre multistorey car parks often seen not to have them. I get it - with the increasing variety of cars the potential for different requirements. If i were getting my car now I would bargain for a cable as part of the purchase.
Can anyone tell me - is there an easy way to tell if a charging point has an attached cable or not before you get there? For example on Zap map? It would make my life so much easier! (Meanwhile I know I just need to get one but that doesn't help me for my unplanned trip this weekend over a bank holiday!). I've already checked and there's no easy Instavolt where I'm going as that would solve all my problems.

TIA

·
Registered
267 Posts
Zap map lets you filter the charge type you want, in your case DC chademo or AC type 2 7Kw you will need your own cable for type 2 with a type 1 socket that connects to your car. Try evbitz or google type2-type1 cable Also ebay have them second hand sometimes. Is your cable at home tethered? If not you should be able to use this.
I got this cable included when I bought my leaf and it stays in my boot. This will only slow charge so more suited for long stops at destinations not a splash and dash. Hope this helps.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts