Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had my first public charge yesterday, an Instavolt installation. Worked perfectly - went up, waved my contactless card, plugged in and charging started. Locked the car and went off to do a bit of shopping and have a coffee. Came back - message on the charger "Charger failed".
"Oh, no" I thought, then had a think and thought, I'll check the car. Long story short, it had reached the 80% limit set for DC charging.
But is that message on the charger to be expected? It seems to me that the Niro and the charger weren't talking properly to each other. Surely the charger must cater for EV's to get to 'full' without falling over? Or is it just me?
Silverback
Oh - and no indication of how many Kwh I'd taken nor a cost.

Reactions: Todor

·
Registered
40 Posts
could just be a coincidence. The charger worked but threw an error after completion for another reason. Key thing is - it worked.

·
Registered
2,045 Posts
I had my first public charge yesterday, an Instavolt installation. Worked perfectly - went up, waved my contactless card, plugged in and charging started. Locked the car and went off to do a bit of shopping and have a coffee. Came back - message on the charger "Charger failed".
"Oh, no" I thought, then had a think and thought, I'll check the car. Long story short, it had reached the 80% limit set for DC charging.
But is that message on the charger to be expected? It seems to me that the Niro and the charger weren't talking properly to each other. Surely the charger must cater for EV's to get to 'full' without falling over? Or is it just me?
Silverback
Some cars and chargers don't communicate as smoothly as you would expect. These things happen sometimes. With my Kona (very similar car to your Niro) will sometimes give an error or sometimes say "Charging ended prematurely by vehicle" depending on what sort of charger I am at.

I wouldn't worry too much. If you happened to have used the app or a RFID Card you would have been able to see your usage costs despite this error. But since you used contactless you'll just have to wait and see once the payment clears with your bank.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4+
12 Posts
Silverback
I got exactly the same message in my Niro at an InstaVolt last week. Assume it was the same reason - reached the 80% limit I’d set.

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
1,709 Posts
It’s been a good few months since I used one but yes, same behaviour so I think it’s normal. Either the car doesn’t have a nice way of saying “thanks that’s enough” or the charger just throws an error…. Either way, the charge stops as instructed and really that’s all that matters.

·
Registered
158 Posts
It’s been a good few months since I used one but yes, same behaviour so I think it’s normal. Either the car doesn’t have a nice way of saying “thanks that’s enough” or the charger just throws an error…. Either way, the charge stops as instructed and really that’s all that matters.
I have also had this message and if I charge at home to 90% before a long journey, get a really scary message about charging failed which eventually disappears after 2 or 3 minutes.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
AS MKDR37 said, the key thing is that it did work. Can now see the bill in my credit card statement!
Thanks to all posters
Silverback

Reactions: prawlin

·
Registered
108 Posts
As others seen something similar in my Soul when desired charge limit is reached. Guessing it is how the connection is dropped by car (no proper handshake).
When starting car after charging to set limit, normally see a message stating "Charging not started as battery above charge limit".
UVO states charging completed successfully.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts