Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've not used a public charger since lockdown started, but when emerging from my cocoon, I will definitely use gloves for the foreseeable future when handling cables at a public charger. What COVID precautions are others taking?

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I used a rapid charger a few times earlier in the lock down and just used a disposable glove on the hand handling the charger plug and operating the charger buttons, and kept my other hand holding my debit card (Instavolt contactless) un-gloved. (Same applies if you need to use your phone to start the charge - don't hold your phone with a gloved hand that is touching the charger) If you have a box of disposable gloves in the car as I do that's all you really need to do I think. Alcohol hand sanitiser would probably work too but I prefer to not get any contaminants on my hand in the first place. Just peel the glove off correctly inside out and throw it in the bin or a rubbish bag of your own.

·
Registered
140 Posts
I keep bathroom wipes in the boot and wipe down handles, buttons, screens on the charger before using it. I also keep hand sanitiser in the car to clean my hands after touching things. I wipe down my mobile after using it to commence the charge where that is required.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I keep bathroom wipes in the boot and wipe down handles, buttons, screens on the charger before using it. I also keep hand sanitiser in the car to clean my hands after touching things. I wipe down my mobile after using it to commence the charge where that is required.
Normal non-alcohol Bathroom/Baby wipes won't neutralise a virus on surfaces or on your hands. You either need to wash your hands with 75% alcohol sanitiser, hot soapy water, (not usually available at rapid chargers....) or don't get the virus on your hands in the first place. (Careful use of disposable gloves without cross contaminating) If you're wiping down surfaces like your phone, steering wheel etc use wipes that include alcohol.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Normal non-alcohol Bathroom/Baby wipes won't neutralise a virus on surfaces or on your hands.
I just spent far longer than expected reading about bathroom wipes... looks like I am good with Dettol based on current info:

I do use alcohol sanitiser as well on hands when out and about.

·
Registered
4,549 Posts
I just spent far longer than expected reading about bathroom wipes... looks like I am good with Dettol based on current info:

Dettol wipes have alcohol in them so are useful for wiping down virus contaminated surfaces. We use some of those as well.

Baby wipes and some other kinds don't have alcohol so are not useful. So anyone using wipes just check that they contain alcohol.

·
Registered
4,534 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The alcohol content has to be at least 60% (70% preferred) to be effective. Just to think we used to laugh at Sheldon Cooper and his obsession with Purell hand sanitiser. :)

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,275 Posts
Dettol wipes on the charge connector and screen/buttons and a bit of sanitizer for my hands after touching it has been my daily practice the last few months. Most chargers I've seen appear to be getting regular cleaning too. And at least one network is treating them with Zoono.

·
Registered
Renault ZOE R135 ZE50 GTLine July 2020 (Sold: R90 ZE40 i Dynamic Nav June 2017)
693 Posts
If you only use a public charger less than once a week, like I do, then a single pair of non-disposable gloves is fine. Just keep them in the boot in a bag and don't touch them again within 3 days or more (I give them a week). That helps cut down the use of single-use plastics, which might interest some of you. The Thames just announced to have high levels of microplastics, for example.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts