Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am the proud owner of an ev but there seems to be a plethora of companies with public charge points. Is there not a universal card as such that covers all charging points. If not is it a case of signing up to all?

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,163 Posts
Nope. Afraid not. You'll have to look at Zap Map along the routes you plan to drive and see what networks operate those chargers, and then sign up to the ones you think will be useful, be that Pay-as-you-go app/RFID Cards, or a monthly subscription membership card if you think you will be using said networks frequently enough to justify the cost.

·
Registered
7,309 Posts
Much depends on your driving pattern and your need for roaming the country - as well as the range of your EV.

But if your range is small and you seek to drive hundreds of miles in all directions all week then you will certainly have to join the dozens of 'clubs', load every app, buy many cards, and load cash into some accounts. There are a few out there who are happy to just accept a contactless credit or debit card though and eventually, that will be the standard.

Other than that you will need to do a bit of research using sites like ZapMap to discover what units you are likely to need access to and focus on those for the time being.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies, hopefully card payment will become the standard as in most vendors, absolutely bonkers system. My Mrs will think I've had a pay rise by the size of my wallet 😂

·
Registered
ONTO/Evezy £50 Code: CADA7
1,163 Posts
Thanks for the replies, hopefully card payment will become the standard as in most vendors, absolutely bonkers system. My Mrs will think I've had a pay rise a bank on the size of my wallet 😂
Zap Map does have a filter allowing you to search for chargers that support contactless card payment. The number is constantly growing. You can see if that will give you enough options for the routes you're planning to drive. It's probably still worth getting the apps for the likes of Ecotricity (Motorway service station chargers) and Pod Point (Most supermarkets especially Tesco, Sainsburys and Lidl) however, just to broaden your options since they are popular charging locations that don't accept credit card payments.

·
Registered
6 Posts
I've been the proud owner of a Smart ForTwo for a year now, only needed to use public charging once, that was to get it home from the only dealership in the country who had one. My home charger has been all that's needed since. The one thing it didn't have which I wanted was the reversing camera, so I'm treating it to one, not just an off the shelf but the proper integrated job with the onscreen guide lines. Wouldn't you know it Smart don't officially do a kit, but there's a company, just one, who've worked out what to do, what you need to order and who to take it to to get the camera calibrated to the steering. Wouldn't you know 140 miles away!
So I've been getting myself setup with accounts for the various charge points I'm going to need to get there and back.
What planet are these people on? If it was an ICE I'd roll up to the filling station tap my bank card on the reader and bee able to dispense enough highly volatile, poisonous fluid to blow the whole station off the map, or at least drive off without paying.
To plug my EV into a harmless pillar which will allow me to get about 50 miles worth of, by comparison, safe electrical energy, I have to go on multiple web sites and set up accounts, all requiring bank card details, vehicle details and for some of them who my domestic electrical account is with. As I said what ******g planet are they on?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts