Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,785 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Travelled into town to one of the EV posts. Need fresh fruit and veg bit of shopping for my father etc.The one near the market had both bays empty so parked up and opened the hatch for the cable, turned round to find an audience!
"Is that Electric.. How much does it cost to charge... Vauxhall?? How do the posts work... etc.

This is from the announcement of the end of ICE cars in 2040 it seems. Never had so many asking questions, once the first group moved on then more questions from another group.

Finally got away to the market/bank/shops after half an hour. This has never happened before to me, the odd person with a few short questions I've had many times but major interest never before.

Never thought I'd end up as an EVangelist

·
Registered
187 Posts
Had exactly the same thing. We don't usually use public charging but spent a few days in the Durham area last week and was out and about the days the news broke. Spent almost every minute of every charge chatting to someone and answering questions. We did most of the charging at Asda and Sainsbury stores and Joe public couldn't believe that it was free! I explained it was like they parked up and went shopping and while they were away someone filled their car with fuel for them and for free... Also that it only took 30-40mins to charge on a rapid charger, most thought it took hours if not days. There are so many false 'facts' out there and so much false information it's scary.

·
Registered
1,133 Posts
I've done a couple of EV events where I've ended up talking to members of the public, is amazing some still think it takes 8 hours or more to charge. One thing I have noticed recently is a much more positive view of electric cars from most people, as if they've accepted that this is the way things are going to go.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I was 45 mins yesturday talking to 2 guys about the leaf. They seemed quite intrested after I answered all their questions..

I always say to people. They aren't for everyone/ every situation but give them a try. if you don't like them then its no big deal. But most seem to want to try one after I talk about cost savings ect..

I am also careful not to overstate the abilities of the car.. I have heard some people get abit excited and say they can do 140 miles on a charge in a leaf easily

·
Registered
37 Posts
Parked in my local council car park yesterday were EV charge and park is free and like others have noticed a number of people paying more attention to what I am doing. Had one guy ask a few question about how long it takes to charge what happens when the battery wears out etc answered as honestly as I could using my circumstances as a guide said they are not for everyone at present but give it another couple of years when range is better then no contest.

·
Banned
1,370 Posts
I always tell people they are terrible, so expensive to buy, cramped, hours to charge unless you pay more than petrol for speed etc, and I always end with "and I need you driving a ice car until 2040 paying my fuel duty and fuel vat tax for me until 2036 when I retired and don't drive much, otherwise they will move the tax onto my electric car, and my tax savings pay for the car.

It's like the best kind of reverse psychology. You can hear the cogs turning in their mind.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts