Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

Which would you recommend: spare wheel or Leaf's repair kit?

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Awaiting Tesla M3—tired of ancient Nissan software
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There is a short thread here, Spare Wheel, but no discussion or suggestions regarding the merits and disadvantages of equipping a new Leaf with a spare wheel, a space saving one, in particular. Is the Leaf puncture repair kit so good that carrying the extra weight of a spare outweighs its benefits?

One thing I would be very interested in knowing is if you have used the Leaf puncture kit by the roadside, and then you had to replace that tyre as it was no longer possible to repair it in a garage—or the opposite, and your tyre got successfully mended in a garage, even though you have used the kit.

Thank you for sharing your experiences in using the Leaf repair kit.

·
Registered
127 Posts
In my experience the puncture repair kit was useless. After 20 mins pumping the tyre hadn't inflated at all. When I finally got the wheel to Kwik-Fit they refused to even consider repairing it as "there's no way we're cleaning that gunge out" and I had to buy a new tyre.

To add insult to injury, when carrying the pump around I managed to drip sealant on my trousers and ruin a perfectly good pair of trousers.

Having said that I've bought a replacement bottle of sealant and haven't yet done anything about getting a spare tyre, but I intend to. First thing I have to check; if they don't expect you to change wheels do they actually provide a jack?

·
Super Moderator
7,619 Posts
My car came with no spare and no repair kit. I've had two punctures and two blowouts. The first puncture is a nail still in a tyre - been there two years now. The second puncture cause a slow leak but was repaired for about £15. Both blowouts were suing to clipping kerbs at I'd guess about 10mph. The sidewall tore and the tyre ruptured, one on the left and one on the right. Both times the car was only about 200yards from home (different kerbs though!) so just got the tyre swapped next day.

Reactions: Rafal

·
Registered
MG5 and Chevy Volt
1,327 Posts
Spare wheel definitely. The sealant is expensive to replace and ruins the tyre. A spare wheel was my first purchase after buying the Leaf. Problem is it fills up the boot, as I have a gen 1 with the charger in the boot so the spare doesn't lie flat.

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
33,192 Posts
Depends what you mean by puncture repair.

The goo you stick in the tyre is a worse outcome than just getting recovered.

But you can buy the things I think Dave H has mentioned, but for cars, so you need to add that to your options list.

Emergency Car Van Motorcycle Tubeless Tyre Puncture Repair Kit Tool 5 Strip

An AA guy came out for a breakdown and dealt with it by using one of these. He said it was temporary, but the tyre shop said they would happily fix it but their repair would be no better (even though it is not a proper 'BSAU' standard).

I'm going to practice using it on some old tyres next time I have my tyres swapped (I'll make a puncture!! A couple of tyres already have them!). Using it the first time is no time to figure out what you don't know if it's dark, raining, side of motorway, etc.! Check out youtube there are a number of videos of people showing how to use this.

If it is more than a nail/screw type puncture then it's a replacement tyre job anyway. Have a list of those mobile tyre fitters local to you in your glove-box and call around until you find someone able to do the job straight away.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
Again they used to supply a wheel brace but with no jack, where the brace is useless apart from needing to check your wheel nuts at a stop. My new Dec 2015 24kWh LEAF only has a towing eye in that bag, locking wheel security socket, 12v air pump and gunk. I would like a space saver and kit.

Reactions: MelonMan

·
Registered
93 Posts
Full size spare wheel every time. The gunge is an emergency repair as is a space saver; at least with the latter if you get major damage to the tyre you can keep going.

·
The best there is at what I do
10,933 Posts
Spare wheel definitely. The sealant is expensive to replace and ruins the tyre. A spare wheel was my first purchase after buying the Leaf. Problem is it fills up the boot, as I have a gen 1 with the charger in the boot so the spare doesn't lie flat.
It ruins the wheel rim as well if left in after repairing a puncture, I bought some cheap alloy wheels for my Smart car and the front wheels kept going down, despite the best efforts of Kwik Fit they still leaked from between the bead and rim. Ended up having to have them refurbished, if you use the gunk clean it out ASP while having the tyre replaced.

·
Registered
731 Posts
A spare would be the best option if there was somewhere to carry it. I used a can of tyre weld whilst Christmas shopping in the lead. It got me home from Derby and to the garage ok. I didn't even bother to break out the tyre goo and compressor.

·
Awaiting Tesla M3—tired of ancient Nissan software
336 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A spare would be the best option if there was somewhere to carry it.
Is anyone familiar with the way mentioned on this thread—or would there be no easily accessible space for it under the Leaf?

Could anyone share any more tips how to stow/carry the spare?

Thanks.

·
Registered
1,203 Posts
When I did the Nissan plant tour in 2014, we were shown an updated UK LEAF and it had a spare wheel strapped under as shown in the photo. It turns out that for the Australian market this is a legal requirement, so technically this fitting should be available, but try to get the part number for the UK will be a task? I think it would be a good option, if it was a fairly simple kit, complete with jack and brace.

Found these links

Five Official Nissan Leaf Accessories You Can’t Buy In The U.S.

Spare tire down under! - My Nissan Leaf Forum

Spare Tire Carrier - My Nissan Leaf Forum

·
Registered
1,657 Posts
I've just bought a Leaf and intend to carry a full size spare wheel (but probably on a steel rim rather than trying to match the alloy). A 'spacesaver' [sic !!!] is all very well but only if you can absolutely guarantee only to have a puncture within 50 miles of home and won't need to exceed 50mph on way home. I'd have to reject the underslung wheel below boot at I live on a very rough lane and would forever be grounding the wheel. I wouldn't advise anyone to opt for such an arrangement anyway : the wheel gets so filthy under there that you'd hate the job of trying to fit it on the car.

Incidentally, who decided to call such a wheel a 'space saver' ? If you did ever fit it, you'd still need space to carry the damaged wheel home or to repairer.

There is no dedicated space for a spare in my New Leaf but I'll have a choice between laying it flat on floor with a wooden platform above or standing upright at side of boot - shan't decide which till I've got one to try. In either case, it would still be possible to take wheel out for extra boot room (on short trips !) and rely on the bottle of gloop.

As reported earlier in this thread, using the bottle of gloop should be a very last resort : it's almost inevitable that a tyre 'repaired' in this way would need to be replaced rather than properly repaired later. And of course if you were to 'kerb' the car and make two big holes in sidewall (as my OH did last year :D ) , there's no way of limping home on a bottle (or six !) repair.

·
Registered
245 Posts
In my experience the puncture repair kit was useless. After 20 mins pumping the tyre hadn't inflated at all. When I finally got the wheel to Kwik-Fit they refused to even consider repairing it as "there's no way we're cleaning that gunge out" and I had to buy a new tyre.

To add insult to injury, when carrying the pump around I managed to drip sealant on my trousers and ruin a perfectly good pair of trousers.

Having said that I've bought a replacement bottle of sealant and haven't yet done anything about getting a spare tyre, but I intend to. First thing I have to check; if they don't expect you to change wheels do they actually provide a jack?
Yes I think they supply a Jack, well there was one in our old Gen 1 car will be putting old spacesaver wheel up for sale on here shortly.

·
Registered
695 Posts
I used my gloop pump within a few weeks of buying my car and threw it straight in the bin when I found out the price of replacing it. I bought a few of the aerosol type emergency things for about a tenner and keep them wrapped up in a cloth in the boot (to stop them rattling around). I already have a jump pack with a compressor hidden under my boot floor, so between those, they should get me out of a hole in the case of a nail puncture. I don't think there is any cure for any other type though.

That was supposed to be a temporary solution until I got around to making a spare wheel hangar for under the boot floor. Since I've been so busy at work and spending any free time working on my solar setup, nearly a year has passed and it's still on the very long "to do" list. Some day... Some day.........

·
Registered
695 Posts
It doesn't, it can be cleaned out.
It's just that tyre places are lazy and would rather tell you it couldn't.
Same end result, a new tyre, but blame tyre shops rather than the gloop.
I would agree with that. I have chemicals in my workshop that would remove it easily. It seems like nobody wants to put the time and effort into making money these days.

I remember the days..... blah..... blah..... I must be getting old!

1 - 19 of 19 Posts