Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I went out to the car this morning, I found the rear offside tyre completely flat. I inflated it with the emergency kit and drove to my nearest ATS depot. There, I was told that because I had inflated the tyre with glue, I would have to have a new tyre for which they quoted £176 including fitting. I do have spare wheels and I now wish I had not used the emergency tyre kit.

Is this common practice that a new tyre is required whenever one of these aerosol kits is deployed?

·
Registered
235 Posts
Yes, using the can of gunk usually results in replacing the whole tyre. £176 is steep for 1 tyre though, I had two Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2 fitted at my house for £203 a few months ago.

·
Journeyman Human
530 Posts
Yes, using the can of gunk usually results in replacing the whole tyre. £176 is steep for 1 tyre though, I had two Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2 fitted at my house for £203 a few months ago.
Thats not supposed to be the case at all. Some lazy tyre fitters don't like cleaning it out before fixing the puncture, and it's an opportunity to sell you another tyre!

Best to insist they repair or lose the business to an honest tyre service instead. They will quite rightly charge a little more for the time and materials to clean out the gunk, but it's not an issue.

Some tesla owners get similar rubbish from fitters who don't want to deal with the soundproofing foam thats in those tyres.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
By going online, I found Protyre (Micheldever Tyre Services Ltd) at Southam just up the road from me and they quoted £113.78 including fitting - they have given me an appointment for fitting at 10:30 on Monday morning which seems like a good deal. When I fitted the GoodYears two years ago, I bought them online from Mytyres (Delticom) and paid £92.80 each but I then had to pay Bellinger's £72 or so to fit them so I reckon the price from Protyre is OK.

·
Registered
472 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
I will get them to give me the old tyre back so that I can clean it out myself!

I am now convinced that ATS were trying to rip me off - or just didn't need the business.
This is from the Holts website:
Tyreweld has been developed by our Research and Development team to repair your tyre temporarily without causing damage. The water based foam seals punctures and won’t damage your tyres in any way. It can be wiped out of tyres easily, so a mechanic can repair the puncture permanently.

I had replaced the original GM product with Holts Tyreweld.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Thats not supposed to be the case at all. Some lazy tyre fitters don't like cleaning it out before fixing the puncture, and it's an opportunity to sell you another tyre!
Ah alright well that's just my Dad being fobbed off before, he used some gunk on his BMW years ago and they told him that renders the tyre unrepairable and is standard practise to replace, not sure why I took that story as gospel!

·
Journeyman Human
530 Posts
Ah alright well that's just my Dad being fobbed off before, he used some gunk on his BMW years ago and they told him that renders the tyre unrepairable and is standard practise to replace, not sure why I took that story as gospel!
Unfortunately the world we live in, should be able to trust "professionals" advice but usually can't!

My neighbour is currently spending £2000 on a new boiler for the sole reason that the plumber that came to install a tiny additional radiator in his conservatory had him convinced his 5 year old, well serviced, perfectly functioning boiler would overload and fail almost instantly from the extra load! As the job was already underway, I didn't want to upset him by suggesting he might have been had... The world we live in eh?

·
Registered
VW Passat GTE
676 Posts
It depends a lot on the goop. My local tyre guy said some of the cans of stuff repair the puncture by slightly melting the insides of the tyre, which can weaken it enough that they don't feel comfortable repairing the puncture - but he said 9 times out of 10, it's covering their own back rather than an actual problem. He's fine with Holts Tyreweld though (apart from it making a bit of a mess in his van, but a few jaffa cakes appeased him), so I carry a few cans of that around and ignore the VW supplied kit.

·
Registered
518 Posts
I had an instant flat after going over a piece of metal. Didn't expect them to offer to repair, it deflated so quickly it must have been a big hole. The new Goodyear was a little over £112 fitted (Bracknell).

·
Registered
40 Posts
When I went out to the car this morning, I found the rear offside tyre completely flat. I inflated it with the emergency kit and drove to my nearest ATS depot. There, I was told that because I had inflated the tyre with glue, I would have to have a new tyre for which they quoted £176 including fitting. I do have spare wheels and I now wish I had not used the emergency tyre kit.

Is this common practice that a new tyre is required whenever one of these aerosol kits is deployed?
Most tyre places overcharge you if you walk in with a problem. It is best to get a qupte through the internet before walking in to the branch. You will see that the same tyre they sell chepaer on the internet.
The extent of the damage usually dictates the decision to replace or repair the tyre.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
743 Posts

ATS are highwayman toting windy guns and trolley jacks!

£176 is daylight robbery!

If it were a run flat on a BMW then that’s par for the course but not for an Ampera.

I use mainly independents in my home county.

There is a national company called Formula one autocentres that are family owned still and usually fairly reasonable if you have one of those somewhere close.

look for the independents and call round for prices.

I see from your profile you live In Banbury try somewhere like this:

Or go on formula one autocentres website they always have offers and money off vouchers and usually discount if you book online.

·
Registered
584 Posts
I too carry one, there is no need to demount the tyre, but a pump is useful to top back up what is lost. I used one on my old Prius plugin, it lasted 20,000 miles plus until I sold it.

Very common in the US but you will find people will tell you it is illegal, it is not.

The common repair companies will only repair to the British Standard BSAU159g to protect themselves (and make more money). The BS rules that a ‘temporary repair’ which the plug kit is, is outside the standard so not covered thus the tyre companies won’t do them. Nothing to stop you doing it yourself, even if just to get you to a repairer.

The BS also allows for ‘minor’ and ‘major’ repairs. Minor is what the typical repairers do, Major requires a patch vulcanised to the tyre but can be done anywhere, tread, wall etc. and must be done by an approved repairer, which the common fast fit are not, too much money in selling a new tyre.

Next time you have a ‘unrepairable’ tyre keep the carcass, no environmental disposal fee!!, and take it to a tyre repairer who is qualified for a ‘major’ repair, ask a farmer or lorry company to recommend one, you don’t think a farmer throw away a thousand pound tyre for a small tear in the sidewall do you? My last repair to the sidewall of a radial was under £30.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts