Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

· Journeyman Human
708 Posts
Yes, using the can of gunk usually results in replacing the whole tyre. £176 is steep for 1 tyre though, I had two Goodyear Efficient Grip Performance 2 fitted at my house for £203 a few months ago.
Thats not supposed to be the case at all. Some lazy tyre fitters don't like cleaning it out before fixing the puncture, and it's an opportunity to sell you another tyre!

Best to insist they repair or lose the business to an honest tyre service instead. They will quite rightly charge a little more for the time and materials to clean out the gunk, but it's not an issue.

Some tesla owners get similar rubbish from fitters who don't want to deal with the soundproofing foam thats in those tyres.

· Journeyman Human
708 Posts
Ah alright well that's just my Dad being fobbed off before, he used some gunk on his BMW years ago and they told him that renders the tyre unrepairable and is standard practise to replace, not sure why I took that story as gospel!
Unfortunately the world we live in, should be able to trust "professionals" advice but usually can't!

My neighbour is currently spending £2000 on a new boiler for the sole reason that the plumber that came to install a tiny additional radiator in his conservatory had him convinced his 5 year old, well serviced, perfectly functioning boiler would overload and fail almost instantly from the extra load! As the job was already underway, I didn't want to upset him by suggesting he might have been had... The world we live in eh?

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.