Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Tesla Model S, Ford Transit Flt Bed (Smiths), Mitsubishi i-MiEV, Vectrix VX-1, Aixam Mega City
203 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone tried to ditch the ICE in an Outlander PHEV - and put a bigger battery in instead?

Reactions: Hermit Dave

·
Registered
Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Design 2.4
68 Posts
Has anyone tried to ditch the ICE in an Outlander PHEV - and put a bigger battery in instead?
I understand were you are coming from, but would you not be better off just buying a Kia Niro 64kWh

·
Registered
24 kWh Nissan Leaf
111 Posts
The later model Outlanders had a pure EV mode button, which would probably make this a lot easier (A/C, power steering, brakes etc should all run without the ICE). Removing the ICE and faking the CAN bus signals to make the car behave seems doable. I recon the battery extension would be the harder part.... wonder who’ll be first to try it?

·
Outlander PHEV App - EvBatMon.
132 Posts
No ICE removal that I've heard of, and I do keep a pretty close eye on that kind of thing eg there is an Australian group that have put a bigger battery in the iMiEV and are now taking orders.

There is one European guy (same guy that sells this - Outlander PHEV Box - pure EV mode, no ICE heating, range increase) who did a uTube of a bigger battery, however the ICE was still intact.
It would be "relatively straightforward" to replace the ICE with a 2nd pack, and have the new battery become a "virtual ICE". Still, that would only get you 100km with no backup power source.

I still think the PHEV was (and still is) a brilliant compromise for most users in terms of value for money. Sure 70km range would be better, 100km fantastic ..... however the price point of the current PHEV is really good, and the battery is the most expensive part. After 95Kkm our all time fuel consumption is 2.3 litres/100km which means with only 50km range, over 2/3 of our driving is electric. I wouldn't want to spend $5k or $10k to get maybe an extra 50 or 100km, only to have to plan roadtrips from supercharger to supercharger like Tesla's do.

·
Registered
Outlander
4,043 Posts
I too imagined what a BEV conversion would be like as I drove from home to destination chargers.

Then on arrival, I sometimes sighed with relief knowing that despite the chargers being unavailable that day my PHEV will still get me home..

Perhaps Outlander EV upgrades will emerge after the charging networks sort themselves out.

·
Super Moderator
7,534 Posts
I think Muxsan will do it soon.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,398 Posts
I was talking to New Electric Ireland a few days ago on Twitter and discussing weekend conversion courses etc and asked about Outlander conversion. They said that while they have enough on their hands, they will do Outlander conversion during the courses (they already have one at hand)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts