Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
EV fan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just something new for PHEV:

Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV Box enables pure electric mode (EV-mode) when ECO mode is on. This external, additional ECU uses original Mitsubishi plugs and can be installed within minutes, without any car alteration or modification. Just plug and play box, that gives you following enthancements:

• pure EV mode up to 130 km/h (optionally - to any speed)- no gasoline engine (ICE) starting when full throttle
  • over 130 km/h ICE starts in parallel mode („orange arrow”)
  • when kick-downed ICE starts in serial mode
  • in ECO mode range of the car is extended (about 8%)
  • pedal accuracy is highly improved. In ECO mode 100% of pedal position = 100% of EV power (60kW), linear from zero. Really smooth drive is possible.
  • predictable starting of ICE by PHEV ECU is switched off.
  • full car power of EV + ICE is always available at once, (for overtaking, etc), when kick-down activated.
  • Charge, Save buttons work as usual.
  • In NORMAL mode car is permitted to use ICE (gasoline), but throttle characteristics is improved to reduce accidental ICE starting. In ECO mode car is not permitted to use ICE, except kick-down or speed of 130+ km/h

·
Registered
13 Posts
Does it prevent the ICE coming on when the screen heater comes on (full blast, whether you want it or not!)?

·
EV fan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
No, but this add-on option will be added to this box in the future. Box has already additional CAN port installed, so it can be connected to CAN and overtake heater-inducted ICE start.
This is possible now only by reflashing (tweaking) PHEV ECU - this I did already, but tweaking PHEV ECU may cause problems with warranty, when noticed by authorized dealer of Mitsu.

·
EV fan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
After installing 10 of them for Nethereland PHEV forum members I found following update:
- there are three different versions of proper settings (three different maps in PHEV ECU, thus - three different reversed maps in PHEV Box):
1. 2013-2014 modelyear
2. 2015
3. 2016 (new, facelifted)

As PHEV Box uses reversed data from PHEV ECU, it must be programmed for modelyear of Outlander. Otherwise - it won't work as designed.

·
Registered
156 Posts
Hi all, just returned from another trip to Wokingham this time traveling at 60mph, in save mode on the motorways and using Eco mode ev in the city's, the PHEV returned a 39.4 mpg.

Must say it was difficult to remain at that speed with everybody overtaking.

I am looking into the EV box very interesting..
Let me know if you go for it and the EV Box does look appealing but worried how it affect warranty etc

·
Registered
12 Posts
Must say DHL from Poland next day very impressive.

Received and fitted "PHEV box" from Vtech, very clever, put simply it reduces the power curve so that the power called for from the excelerator pedal never makes the needle in the indicator dial going in to the White only section,
unless you push down through the pedal stop, kick down.

The results of this creates a smoother exceleration right up to 80mph at which point the ICE cuts in and takes over.
I have given this device a good workout standing starts, fast exceleration, from Eco to normal modes, heater on and off and I must say it seems to be working flawlessly.

I even managed to get a 27mile journey on a single charge, never done that before.

Big smile...

·
Registered
12 Posts
You connect it to the top of your excelerator pedal, you disconnect the original cable from the pedal put the PHEV box into the socket and the cable you just remove into the box simple.

Working really well to.

·
Registered
249 Posts
You connect it to the top of your excelerator pedal, you disconnect the original cable from the pedal put the PHEV box into the socket and the cable you just remove into the box simple.

Working really well to.
Sounds interesting.

In one of his earlier videos he said he that some of the tweaks enabled the electric motors to go up to 70KW instead of Mitsubishi limit of 60KW.
Does this box do that?
If it can knock a second off the zero to ... 40(?)mph time, so I can get away from the traffic lights a bit quicker, then I would have one.

·
EV fan
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Sounds interesting.

In one of his earlier videos he said he that some of the tweaks enabled the electric motors to go up to 70KW instead of Mitsubishi limit of 60KW.
No. Only our PHEV ECU reflash does that.
Box works up to 60kW, avoiding warranty loss.

1 - 20 of 44 Posts