Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Well a good run in the Kona yesterday

Up to Sunderland from Mansfield to pick up a set of tyres from @STEVIANK for which I am very grateful (thats my summer miles sorted next year)

Then into the MetroCentre so SWMBO and Daughter 2 could empty my wallet

Got home from the 260 mile trip with just 10% left in the battery

Was patting myself on back for great economy, when daughter 1 announced she needed to be at Derby Station in an hours time 22 miles on dual carriageway and middle of rush hour

So off we set 10% and 24 miles on GOM and 22 to go

Nearest i have ever had to range anxiety in the Kona (there is a rapid next to station so knew i would be ok if i didn't kill it on way)

22miles later and 3% left on battery 7 miles on GOM Mr Turtle appeared as we pulled into the station

This car still amazes me. What a bit of kit it just never gives up

·
Registered
268 Posts
Impressive, how are the Autogreen tyres performing? I recall you saying they perform well in the wet, plenty of rain prove that recently. No economy penalty either based on your range?

Any downsides?

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Impressive, how are the Autogreen tyres performing? I recall you saying they perform well in the wet, plenty of rain prove that recently. No economy penalty either based on your range?

Any downsides?
They are very good in the wet, very noticeable compared to the Nexens, but the main benefit has been the change in the noise profile, much quieter and lower frequency noise pattern compared to the rather raspy high frequency noise from the Nexens.

There is definitely an Economy penalty tho with the Autogreens, I would say between 15 - 20 miles a charge less than the Nexens in the same conditions, somewhere between a 5 and 7% range loss I would say. Will be interesting to see if they improve as the tread pattern wears down, And I am running them with higher pressures as well now its winter 40psi cold which gives about 43psi when they are warmed up.

·
Registered
1,577 Posts
There is definitely an Economy penalty tho with the Autogreens, I would say between 15 - 20 miles a charge less than the Nexens in the same conditions,
So with the Nexens and a little care/luck you'd probably not have needed the charge at the station. Interesting.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
So with the Nexens and a little care/luck you'd probably not have needed the charge at the station. Interesting.

I had already moderated my speed on the way back to ensure I made it home from Newcastle I think I counted the rust spots on the back of the Tesco truck in front multiple times),

if I had known D1 needed to go to Derby I would have come back from Newcastle quicker and stopped for a rapid charge on way back, but as it was clear I could make it home and not knowing I needed to go out again I was happy to dawdle home assuming the car would just sit then and charge overnight

one of the real plus points of big battery cars like the Kona that even with just 10% left it can still handle emergency and unplanned trips .

·
Registered
268 Posts
The tyres you bought are a real bargain and more importantly seem to be of reasonable quality. The reduced range however costs money. About 5 to 10% less range depending on conditions? On a home charge that is an extra cost of perhaps 50p and on commercial chargers £1.50.

However as you point out they are quieter which is a price worth paying, given how noisy the Nexens are.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
The tyres you bought are a real bargain and more importantly seem to be of reasonable quality. The reduced range however costs money. About 5 to 10% less range depending on conditions? On a home charge that is an extra cost of perhaps 50p and on commercial chargers £1.50.

However as you point out they are quieter which is a price worth paying, given how noisy the Nexens are.
i totally agree on the extra cost and it’s something I am trying to monitor, will be interesting to see how it goes the nexens seemed to improve in economy as the tread went down so will be interesting to see how these go

does not matter how cheap they are to buy if they lose out a lot in range that costs money and time charging so makes them less attractive overall but as stated they have a much better noise profile and much better grip so swings and roundabouts.

·
Registered
122 Posts
There is definitely an Economy penalty tho with the Autogreens, I would say between 15 - 20 miles a charge less than the Nexens in the same conditions, somewhere between a 5 and 7% range loss I would say.
I did a similar distance on Monday, 425km, SoC down to 13.0%, about 4.5% better range on Nexens. My total elevation gain was 3550m, yours 3230m (courtesy Google Earth Pro), ambient 22-28C, probably 90% @95kph SCC (very little traffic), you probably travelled faster, but had much more traffic to contend with - I'm guessing our average speeds were little different. You also had 3 in the car to my 1, though I have not got the impression that load makes much difference to the Kona.

So I'm thinking very similar outcomes overall, with the tyres the only significant difference, and I'm picking about 5% range advantage to the Nexens at most..:)

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
Hmm, 5% loss in efficiency over about 50,000 miles with roughly 4mi/kWh and 15p/kWh electrical cost comes out at £93.75 more expensive, or nearly £24/tyre. Still think those tyres are good value compared to decent ones?

·
Registered
338 Posts
Hmm, 5% loss in efficiency over about 50,000 miles with roughly 4mi/kWh and 15p/kWh electrical cost comes out at £93.75 more expensive, or nearly £24/tyre. Still think those tyres are good value compared to decent ones?
Interesting, but I think the true comparison has take account of the initial purchase cost of both the cheap ones and the "decent ones"...

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
But its not just the cost saving, the grip is way better than the Nexens and they have a much nicer noise profile. Both of these are benefits which I highly value

There will be no real way of costing them till we get further into the life fo the tyre, so next spring or at the earliest after the 60k service in a couple of months when they get rotated we will start to see some figures,

But a lot more pluses than minus so far

+
Grip
Noise
Initial Cost

-
Loss of Range

Undecided
Mileage Life fo tyre

After 6k miles the tyres are at 6.1mm on the Fronts and 6.7 on the backs. AFAIK they started at 7mm, so with rotations at 15k and 35k miles they should be good for 45k or so the same as the nexens but will see how wear progresses as the miles pile on.

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
I wasn't comparing them to the Nexens, I was comparing them to proper tyres from a reputable make that are about £10-£15/tyre more expensive...

·
Registered
2,600 Posts
The Nexen's are rated C (I think), and decent tyres such as CrossClimates are also rated C; I know that's not massively scientific but it's good enough for me. Also I'm getting slightly better range on my Continental AllSeason Contacts which are rated B, so it adds up for me.
Cheap tyres are a false economy for so, so many reasons.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #18 (Edited)
The Nexen's are rated C (I think), and decent tyres such as CrossClimates are also rated C; I know that's not massively scientific but it's good enough for me. Also I'm getting slightly better range on my Continental AllSeason Contacts which are rated B, so it adds up for me.
Cheap tyres are a false economy for so, so many reasons.
The Autogreens are Rate "C" for Efficiency as well, "B" for Wet Grip, and 70dB for noise,

·
Registered
268 Posts
I have always bought top quality tyres even if the car was only average. This discussion puts me in a quandary. If these tyres are of reasonable quality, and Stageshoot is happy so far that they are, then the significant test left is sub 8c conditions, ice and snow. Logically they will not perform as well as winter or all season but by how much? They may yet prove to be the equal of more expense tyres.

If National Tyres had put these on the market at twice the price thus making them no longer ‘cheap tyres’ would the perception of quality change? I suspect it would have. So are we just being sniffy because no one should put tyres that cheap on a decent car. Are we being sensibly cautious, are these a genuine bargain product punching above their weight?

I would love to know because I will be buying a set of tyres before Christmas. The standard Nexens got me through last Winter without issue and I am wavering about my decision to go for the Continental All Season as replacements.

·
Registered
1,466 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I have always bought top quality tyres even if the car was only average. This discussion puts me in a quandary. If these tyres are of reasonable quality, and Stageshoot is happy so far that they are, then the significant test left is sub 8c conditions, ice and snow. Logically they will not perform as well as winter or all season but by how much? They may yet prove to be the equal of more expense tyres.

If National Tyres had put these on the market at twice the price thus making them no longer ‘cheap tyres’ would the perception of quality change? I suspect it would have. So are we just being sniffy because no one should put tyres that cheap on a decent car. Are we being sensibly cautious, are these a genuine bargain product punching above their weight?

I would love to know because I will be buying a set of tyres before Christmas. The standard Nexens got me through last Winter without issue and I am wavering about my decision to go for the Continental All Season as replacements.
Not sure how much faith to put in it but several people mentioned the autogreens have a Goodyear tread pattern. And on thier own Facebook page autogreen point to the European heritage of the tyre abd design so not sure if it's a Chinese designed Goodyear or if they have bought an older goidyear design under licence

But so far am happy with them will be sure to let you kniw how they perform over winter but they gave certainly handled the floods well feeling very solid on a heavily flooded motorway at 70

1 - 20 of 20 Posts