Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Northampton Handyman
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
My 2011 Renault Kangoo has a type 1 socket and only charges slowly. Quotes to install a 7kW charger were exorbitant (£1,500 and more) so I've decided to just use a £170 granny cable. I’m reluctant to leave it outside the house, but I don’t want to take it inside every morning either, so I’ve put it in a box on the wall. I left the 13A plug on it so I can take it when I visit Granny. Inside the box is a socket supplied through a WiFi-controlled 16 Amp Sonoff switch. I used the eWeLink app on my phone to make the socket live during my Economy7 hours (00:30 to 07:30 in my case, check with your supplier for yours) so my van charges overnight at 8p/kWh rather than 12p. Of course anybody with a screwdriver could remove the front panel, unplug the charger and walk off with it, but I’m hoping that having it hidden in a box will deter any opportunist thief.
1593347781957.png 1593348682492.png

·
Registered
4,098 Posts
Neat install. Where did you source your box from and do you normally coil the lead around the box to avoid it dangling in the damp?

·
Northampton Handyman
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I bought this 240 x 190 x 90mm IP56 Moulded Box online for £22.07 including postage and packing. It's a bit snug to fit the WiFi switch, the 3-pin socket and most of the granny charger, but it works if you play a bit of electrical Tetris. There are lockable boxes available but they are quite a bit more expensive. I don't have a cable coiling option yet. Suggestions welcome!

·
Registered
500 Posts
or a hose reel holder? around £5 on amazon. If opportunist theft or tampering is an issue, construct a box from featheredge fencing to cover the lot? It can sit onto a wall mounted batten, and you just lift it off to access the cable. Painted to match nearby fencing, and with something growing in a planter on the top edge, a "thief" would unlikely give it a second glance, whereas a cable and box attracts attention. It also keeps the rain from beating down on the cable/box.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Great idea and you could also replace normal screws with tamper proof torx screws

1 - 9 of 9 Posts