Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
I've heard that the cost of charging at motorway services is similar to filling up a tank of fuel, is this right? And do car parks charge to re-charge?
Thanks
C

·
Registered
6,179 Posts
Hi
I've heard that the cost of charging at motorway services is similar to filling up a tank of fuel, is this right? And do car parks charge to re-charge?
A 30 minutes £6 Ecotricity charge at a Rapid motorway charger will typically buy you anything from 40 miles to 70 miles range depending on how low the battery was at the start of the charge session. To compare to petrol/diesel that would be very similar depending on different factors and car involved.

As to fees for chargers in car parks, there is a huge variety out there from free to omg. Far too complicated for a quick reply here.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
Remember that £6/30 mins will also depend on what car you drive. Theoretically it can push 50kW which would give 25kWh in ideal conditions with a car that could take it (in practice I don't know of anyone who has had this happen).
If you turn up with a half full 22kW car you could get your 11kWh but it's not likely. 10kWh at motorway speeds is worth 30-40 miles - possibly less in poor conditions.

Basically you don't really know what you're going to get since it's time based and charge rates change depending on charge level and conditions even on the same car. Sometimes it will be equivalent to a great mpg diesel. Other times it will be like running a thirsty V8.

·
Registered
784 Posts
Ecotricity's charging model is basically the worst/most expensive one (ignoring the odd isolated charger with crazy fees). Payment based on fixed time-based blocks and a charging speed that varies wildly.

Value for money will vary wildly depending on how much charge you can get in 30 minutes and how efficiently you drive. But as a quick comparison, £6 for 20kWh = 80 miles at 4 miles per kWh. If a gallon of diesel is £6 (probably optimistic at the services) then a diesel would need to get 80mpg to match the value of the EV. So I suppose it's not that bad.

I pay £7.85/month for Polar Plus membership. For that I get access to most of the charge points in the West Midlands (and elsewhere). I usually use their chargers TBH. Rarely use Ecotricity anymore unless I'm at IKEA (£6 shopping discount, negating the cost of charging).

·
Registered
4,728 Posts
Remember that £6/30 mins will also depend on what car you drive. Theoretically it can push 50kW which would give 25kWh in ideal conditions with a car that could take it (in practice I don't know of anyone who has had this happen).
If you turn up with a half full 22kW car you could get your 11kWh but it's not likely. 10kWh at motorway speeds is worth 30-40 miles - possibly less in poor conditions.

Basically you don't really know what you're going to get since it's time based and charge rates change depending on charge level and conditions even on the same car. Sometimes it will be equivalent to a great mpg diesel. Other times it will be like running a thirsty V8.
It depends on your car of course but in practice I expect if I let it run to completion an Ecotricity session will pump between 16kWh and 18.5kWh into my i3 so probably 14 or 15kWh usable after charging losses.

They're only 43kW chargers so your theoretical figure is too high as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
769 Posts
I recently charged on a couple of ChargepointGenie posts in car parks while on holiday and paid 30p per kWh which, in my car, works out to 10p per mile.

Considering the size and performance of a Model S that's pretty good value and you would pay a lot more per mile to run a BMW or Mercedes of similar spec.

·
Registered
3,188 Posts
It depends on your car of course but in practice I expect if I let it run to completion an Ecotricity session will pump between 16kWh and 18.5kWh into my i3 so probably 14 or 15kWh usable after charging losses.

They're only 43kW chargers so your theoretical figure is too high as well.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk
Ahh right. I thought they were 50kW. 15kWh sounds about right for an i3 - 13 to 15 is pretty much what we get in our ones depending on what day it is. On the other hand one of the Zoe's only got 6kWh the other day about an hour before throwing a light up on the dash - again.

·
Hyundai Ioniq BEV
78 Posts
Ahh right. I thought they were 50kW. 15kWh sounds about right for an i3 - 13 to 15 is pretty much what we get in our ones depending on what day it is. On the other hand one of the Zoe's only got 6kWh the other day about an hour before throwing a light up on the dash - again.
On the back of the EH CCS chargers is a power meter. I've never seen more than 35kW when charging my ioniq tailing off to 24kw when charge reaches 80%

Sent from my SM-G901F using Tapatalk

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts