Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was looking at building an EVSE using a veridian (or similar) EPC, but then saw the 32A QubEV wall box on amazon for £230, despite having most of the parts for a DIY already i still can't beat that price. Is there any major reason not to go for it?

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Be aware that it's really a Rolec in a different case, and sold directly by a Rolec subsidiary, I believe. Nothing on this planet would induce me to use anything sold by Rolec. Seen far to many burned and failed Rolec components.

There's no contest between Viridian and Rolec. I recently built and installed a charge point using the Viridian parts, and have another one built and ready to install, and their newer EPC, with built in open PEN protection, and the very good 6mA DC earth leakage sensor, is very good indeed, in the top two or three of all charge points in terms of protection.

·
Registered
MG5
254 Posts
Have you got a link to that on Amazon.
Does if have all the protection on it for DC and open Pen?

·
Registered
284 Posts
If it's the one I took a brief look at a few weeks ago, it's available in two different versions: 17th edition and 18th edition, depending on which regulations it satisfies.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
This is their web page: qubEV.co.uk

As you can see, they are a Rolec company: EV OneStop | EV charging Cables & Charging Stations

If I had to guess, then I would suggest this might be a way to try and repair the reputational damage that Rolec have (quite justifiably) suffered as a consequence of parts burning out on their Rolec brand products. The Qubev units contain the same parts as the Rolec, with different labels stuck on them to make them appear as if they are made by a different company. I would guess that all the parts still come from China, and that the "made in the UK" bit refers only to stuffing them in the case.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Be aware that it's really a Rolec in a different case, and sold directly by a Rolec subsidiary, I believe. Nothing on this planet would induce me to use anything sold by Rolec. Seen far to many burned and failed Rolec components.

There's no contest between Viridian and Rolec. I recently built and installed a charge point using the Viridian parts, and have another one built and ready to install, and their newer EPC, with built in open PEN protection, and the very good 6mA DC earth leakage sensor, is very good indeed, in the top two or three of all charge points in terms of protection.
Yes i had gathered the link between the two names, but wasn't sure if the rep was still deserved with a later device.
Hmm ok, you've given me something to think about!

·
Registered
4,641 Posts
Rolec are still having components burn out. Only a few months ago one or two more burned out RCBOs turned up, seemingly different in cause to the lots of earlier RCBOs that burned out, but it still doesn't inspire confidence.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Rolec are still having components burn out. Only a few months ago one or two more burned out RCBOs turned up, seemingly different in cause to the lots of earlier RCBOs that burned out, but it still doesn't inspire confidence.
Ok fair enough. To be honest, if i build a free cable EVSE, i'm only short the EPC, socket and possibly an RCBO (i've got a 32A one but not a 40A) short of everything i need

1 - 9 of 9 Posts