Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
Niro EV4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have just taken delivery of a nearly new Niro EV last Saturday (it's now got 65 miles on it). Messing around with the brake regeneration I discovered that once I engaged it at about 3 and the heating temperature inside the car started to go down rapidly despite being set at 21 degrees, in fact I think it might have gone off totally. It didn't come back on until I set the regeneration at 0. Is this correct?

· Registered
Niro EV '4' with Heat Pump (MY23)
195 Posts
No, that is not a normal operation. Or certainly not what I've observed nor what I would expect to happen.

Driving Mode (Eco, Normal, Sport) can have an impact on climate control (albeit depending on what settings you've used or changed). But not normally regen, as that is just the recuperation of energy whilst decelerating.

All that said, some have had issues with the climate in the new Niro EV where after a while it starts putting out cold air. There are various threads on this forum on that issue, so perhaps one of them has some pointers for you to try. It could just be timing/coincidence that when you set things back it triggered the correct heating/temperature.

The theory is, you set the car to the temperature you want, and select Auto with a fan speed of 1, 2, or 3. And leave it all alone and it does what it should do. Sadly, many of us find that isn't the experience in the real world.

You could try adjusting the use of "Auto Defog" and "Auto Dehumdify" in the climate options to see if that helps with your particular scenario. I am presently testing turning off the latter and will see how that goes over the next few journeys.

· Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20, Zoe Z.E.50 GT Line
2,192 Posts
Have just taken delivery of a nearly new Niro EV last Saturday (it's now got 65 miles on it). Messing around with the brake regeneration I discovered that once I engaged it at about 3 and the heating temperature inside the car started to go down rapidly despite being set at 21 degrees, in fact I think it might have gone off totally. It didn't come back on until I set the regeneration at 0. Is this correct?
It’s possible this was coincidence. Regen settings would not be connected to heating unless there’s a particular problematic software bug.

· Registered
Niro EV4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for your replies. It has definitely only happened whenever I’ve used the regeneration. Have had the car less than a week so still learning its foibles. When I used the regeneration it definitely went much colder. When I turned off the regeneration the heating came back on.
Need to finish reading the HAVAC Heating issues thread.
Have to visit dealer tomorrow so will see what they say.

· Registered
Niro EV4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
We that was interesting. Have just got home after being stuck in the car. Was locked in. Eventually the car opened but wouldn’t do anything else. The car wouldn’t recognise the key. Wouldn’t engage drive or reverse and wouldn’t turn off. Warnings kept coming on screen telling me that the battery was almost discharged. There were a lot of lights on screen that I didn’t recognise. Had to get the RAC out. He disconnected the battery and hey presto everything back to normal.
Will let the dealer investigate tomorrow.

· Registered
Kia Niro EV '4' 2022
1,631 Posts
Have you been sat in the car for a while fiddling with the settings, with the car not in 'Ready' mode (I.e. started and ready to drive). If you pressed the start button without your foot on the brake pedal, all the systems come on but you are not in a Ready to drive state and are in 'accessory mode', which is a battery killer. The systems are all using the 12v but the car is not charging it. It should be avoided at all costs.

· Registered
Niro EV4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Definitely wasn’t fiddling with the settings. I thought I had gone in and tried to start it as normal. I had set the climate control remotely before getting in.
Dealer thought I may have confused the car by using the key and may have accidentally using the app at the same time.
Not going to use the remote climate control at the moment!

· Registered
9,330 Posts
Don't forget that you won't get the full effect from the HVAC system if you are in ECO. If it is very cold I tend to drive in NORMAL rather than ECO and it seems to help with heating the car.

· Registered
Niro EV4
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Well I’ve just finished reading the whole Niro ev 4 not starting thread. Took a while.
Have not used the preheating mode again but have had the driving assist functions disappear whilst driving. The car is not particularly dirty so not sure why that happened. It righted itself after a short while. The car has only done 165 miles so far.
Noticed on the not starting thread that there is a way of remote starting the car which seems to help avoid the zombie mode. Could anyone point me in the direction of how that works?
One thing that was slightly different for me was that I was initially locked in the car. I was using the door handle to try and get out. Not sure how I managed in the end but I did get out.
The car was on all the time - in the accessory mode perhaps.
Not going to use the preheating mode before using the car until there is a fix for this.

· Registered
Niro EV '4' with Heat Pump (MY23)
195 Posts
Noticed on the not starting thread that there is a way of remote starting the car which seems to help avoid the zombie mode. Could anyone point me in the direction of how that works?
This is the Remote Start button on the smart key, which is a circular symbol with the word Hold written on it.
Within 4 seconds of pressing the Lock button, press this to power on the car. It will then turn on at whatever the last HVAC settings were when the car was turned off.
Take a look in the manual around page 6-156.
This is only a '4' spec feature I believe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts