Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
G'day all, wondering if any Twin Experts could help? We are interested in buying a late model Ion/CZero for around the city driving so been trawling the web as well as this forum reading everything about them. Including the good and bad.
Now question is it's my understanding the Ion/Czero Twins cannot be preheated while plugged in and charging unless they are equipped with the optional remote control system. But seen in 2016,17 and 18 Ion & Czero Owner manuals there is a small blurb in the ventilation section with the following:

"During normal charging of the
vehicle, the ventilation, heating and
air conditioning can be activated from
the ACC position of the switch.
During fast charging of the vehicle, the
ventilation, heating and air conditioning
cannot be activated"

This is not in earlier owners manuals from what I can see. Does this mean the twins got an update sometime during 2016 where if you have the key in the ACC or ON position you can use the heater/AC/Blower while the car is still been charged normally? Has anyone with a later car tried this and if so when during 2016 did they make the change? Or is it still limited, doesn't work or just drains the 12v battery?

Cheers guys for your help.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
You definitely won't be able to use the heater or A/C while rapid charging as the output of the climate control system is directed into the battery pack to cool it. (You'll hear the fan blowing on high but it won't be blowing at you...)

As for using the heater or A/C while AC charging - I'm a bit sceptical. Early cars like my 2011 Ion could not do this, at most you'd get the blower fan with ambient air. Someone with a newer car (@freddym ?) can perhaps comment on whether it's possible or not on later cars or whether the manual is wrong.

It seems unlikely to me though for the simple reason that the heater uses 5.5kW on full during warmup and drops back to around 3kW to maintain a comfortable temperature in winter and the onboard charger is only 3.3kW! So you'd actually be losing ground rather than charging if you had the heater turned up high...

If preheating is important to you you might want to look at a different car. Lack of plugged in preheating is a right faff in winter and is one of the many reasons I ended up selling my Ion after 3 years and getting a 2016 Leaf. Even though it's not proper winter yet, timed, (and/or remote controlled) plugged in preheating is bliss. :)

By the way I'm yet to see a single report on any forum from the owner of a C-Zero or Ion with the fabled optional remote climate control remote - while its listed as a spec option I don't think they actually exist in the wild! :p (You will find some i-Miev's with it though)

·
Registered
249 Posts
I'm about to fit a webasto diesel heater for longer journeys and preheating before a long drive (to stop the battery being used at all to preheat before a 100mile drive)

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ah completely makes sense that the heater uses 5.5kw to start then drops back down while the charger is only 3.3kw. Unless on these later cars the heater/air con system doesn't go past 3kw, been a lot weaker than normal but still able to be used while charging?
Preheat is definitely a big plus but still in split minds if its a deal breaker. Just got a eye on a few 16 plate Czero & Ions that seem really good value for what we are looking for. Still I'm intrigued now to know if the later cars could actually do it considering its printed in the manual. Surprised know one has picked up on this sooner in the owners manual. Ha, your probably right about the option for the climate remote. I've researched multiple sites and haven't seen any Ion/Czero that actually has it fitted.

Thanks guys for your input. Hopefully someone with a later car can go do a little experiment and see if the manual is telling the truth. ;)

·
Registered
830 Posts
As much as I like my c-zero it's not really a winter car. It would be nice to run the heater when on a rapid instead of being blasted with freezing air just before it diverts to cool the battery. In hindsight, I should probably have gone for an early gen 2 Leaf for not much more money.

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
As much as I like my c-zero it's not really a winter car. It would be nice to run the heater when on a rapid instead of being blasted with freezing air just before it diverts to cool the battery. In hindsight, I should probably have gone for an early gen 2 Leaf for not much more money.
Heated seat covers (which can operate while charging) got me through many freezing cold winter rapid charging sessions on the Ion, I don't think I could have made it without them...a worthwhile upgrade...

It sure is nice to be able to run the heater or A/C on the Leaf while rapid charging though, even though I haven't been through a winter with it yet to fully appreciate it.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
I'm about to fit a webasto diesel heater for longer journeys and preheating before a long drive (to stop the battery being used at all to preheat before a 100mile drive)

Mine got fitted with Webasto in November 2017. The Webasto and the replacement AGM battery occupy the same space as per the OEM battery.

Of course with a Webasto, one can instal the Webasto remote controller.

·
Registered
249 Posts
Mine got fitted with Webasto in November 2017. The Webasto and the replacement AGM battery occupy the same space as per the OEM battery.

Of course with a Webasto, one can instal the Webasto remote controller.
Can you share some photos Freddy of your install please? I will be doing the same this week

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Hi Alex, send me a PM with your email and I will ping back some photos over the weekend.

Installation can be broken down into

REPLACEMENT 12V BATTERY MOUNTING
HEATER MOUNTING
EXHAUST AND SILENCER
FUEL TANK AND FUEL SUPPLY TO FUEL PUMP
PLUMBING AND WATER CURCULATOR
UNDER BONNET WIRING
DRIVER CONTROLS
REMOTE CONTROLS

·
Registered
7 Posts
I've had a play around in my 67 plate C-Zero. With the key in the ACC position, nothing works. In the ON position, the heated seat works, and the heating controls all function. It blows air etc, and I think it runs the AC, although it was a bit cold outside, so hard to be certain. No noticeable heating though. The air coming through wasn't stone cold, so I did wonder whether it was running the heater at very low power, which would work for a timed preheat, but didn't have time to leave it running for an hour to check. I'll try again at some point to make sure.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I've had a play around in my 67 plate C-Zero. With the key in the ACC position, nothing works. In the ON position, the heated seat works, and the heating controls all function. It blows air etc, and I think it runs the AC, although it was a bit cold outside, so hard to be certain. No noticeable heating though. The air coming through wasn't stone cold, so I did wonder whether it was running the heater at very low power, which would work for a timed preheat, but didn't have time to leave it running for an hour to check. I'll try again at some point to make sure.
Hey Andrew,
Thanks so much for checking that out. That definitely sounds along the lines that the later cars had a small amount of pre cooling/heating functionality added into them. Even with the heating-cooling system working at a very low rate. Little twins maybe had a small secret not to many knew about? Be interesting to know how much heat would be coming out after a hour and if its draining more power from the battery than it can charge?

Thanks again for checking that out, appreciate it.

Trent - hillstar88t

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Hey Andrew,
Thanks so much for checking that out. That definitely sounds along the lines that the later cars had a small amount of pre cooling/heating functionality added into them. Even with the heating-cooling system working at a very low rate. Little twins maybe had a small secret not to many knew about? Be interesting to know how much heat would be coming out after a hour and if its draining more power from the battery than it can charge?

Thanks again for checking that out, appreciate it.

Trent - hillstar88t
I'll do a proper check tonight with Canion (No I don't think there is any preheating whatsoever on a 67plate)

·
Registered
4,322 Posts
I've had a play around in my 67 plate C-Zero. With the key in the ACC position, nothing works. In the ON position, the heated seat works, and the heating controls all function. It blows air etc, and I think it runs the AC, although it was a bit cold outside, so hard to be certain.
Did the air conditioning light come on ? If not A/C wasn't running. Almost certainly you're getting blower fan only with ambient air, same as the older models.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Did the air conditioning light come on ? If not A/C wasn't running. Almost certainly you're getting blower fan only with ambient air, same as the older models.
OK, trial monitored with Canion. 67 plate CZero. HV Battery charging at 2.2kW, plugged into EVSE.

With key in any position, heater flow temperature on Canion did not budge. Aircon button can be pushed and will illuminate but no change in power to battery nor any change in air outlet temperature.

Conclusion, no preheating whatsoever.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, trial monitored with Canion. 67 plate CZero. HV Battery charging at 2.2kW, plugged into EVSE.

With key in any position, heater flow temperature on Canion did not budge. Aircon button can be pushed and will illuminate but no change in power to battery nor any change in air outlet temperature.

Conclusion, no preheating whatsoever.
Big thanks for checking this out. Looks like the blurb that was added into the owners manuals pretty much means nothing apart from the blower fan been able to be used as well as the heated seat if fitted. Close as your gonna get to preheating on these micro twins.
Solves that wee puzzle, cheers guys!

hillstar88t - Trent.

·
Registered
3,867 Posts
Big thanks for checking this out. Looks like the blurb that was added into the owners manuals pretty much means nothing apart from the blower fan been able to be used as well as the heated seat if fitted. Close as your gonna get to preheating on these micro twins.
Solves that wee puzzle, cheers guys!

hillstar88t - Trent.
Preheating with Webasto works just fine.

Actually my little experiment did throw up an oddity. Turning the heater knob whilst plugged in charging reduced the GOM figure. It did not increase when I switched the heating control off!

1 - 17 of 17 Posts