Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
Leaf 24
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I've recently started using the charge timer in order to take advantage of the low electric rates at night and I'm not entirely sure how it works, for example, if the charger is set to work between 00:30 and 04:30, will it only work during those hours regardless of if it's going to reach 100% charged state, or will it start sooner to reach 100%? Also, if the car is nearly fully charged before plugging it in at 00:30, let's say it's at 75%, will the car charge at a lower rate so that it reaches 100% exactly at 04:30 or will it charge at just at the maximum rate possible regardless of charge state? Lastly, if by 04:30 the car charged state hasn't reached 100%, will it continue charging past that time or will it stop? Any tips/advice would be greatly appreciated.

EDIT: After spending some time investigating this issue, and speaking to Octopus customer service, I'm now sure that the car is charging as it should be at the correct time, however, the readings from Octopus are completely incorrect, it shows high electric usage when there's none, and low electric usage when the car is charging, Octopus Energy is now investigating this issue.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
If you set both a start and an end time it'll do exactly what you asked it to do, start at the start time and stop at the end time unless it reaches the charge limit before then.
You can just set one. If you set a start time it starts then and ends only when it reaches the charge limit or is unplugged. If you set an end time only it starts whenever it thinks that it needs to in order to reach the charge limit which if it is 100% includes about an hour's low current battery balancing at the end. In this case beware as the climate timer overrides this - if you set the climate timer for 7:00 but the charge timer for 12:00 it'll aim for a full charge by 7:00.

·
Registered
Leaf 24
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
If you set both a start and an end time it'll do exactly what you asked it to do, start at the start time and stop at the end time unless it reaches the charge limit before then.
That's what I thought, but the data from my energy provider (Octopus) indicates high electric usage before the charging start time, which is not possible as no other appliance are being used at 11pm, that's what made me have doubts about how the timer works. I'm guessing the problem is somehow caused by the energy provider.

·
Registered
115 Posts
The energy supplier can't force more electricity into your house nor override your charge timer, although the timezone of their data could be different from BST, making it look like it's before the charge time.

If you have the car timer set and don't override it with the button, the car will sit there connected but not charging until the start time, then it'll begin drawing power. At the end time, it'll switch off. Once the battery is above about 95%, the charge rate drops off quickly. Once at 100% it does three balancing "boosts" over an hour or so and then draws next to nothing.

·
Registered
Leaf 24
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The energy supplier can't force more electricity into your house nor override your charge timer,
You're right, I basically meant that they're not gathering/presenting the meter's information correctly, not that they're effecting the car's charge time, I've sent them an email about this so I'll provide an update here once I hear back from them.

·
Registered
420 Posts
In this case beware as the climate timer overrides this - if you set the climate timer for 7:00 but the charge timer for 12:00 it'll aim for a full charge by 7:00.
I have a different experience with my LEAF30 in this case. Sometimes I want to be 80% charged when I leave in the morning. So I set a charge end timer in order to finish charging at 9am (which is about 80% charged by 7am), and have a climate charger for 7am when I want to leave. It does exactly that. The car preheats for 7am and is about 80% charged at 7am.
@CaptainPicard - You may want to experiment with your timers to see what happens with your vehicle.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I have a different experience with my LEAF30 in this case. Sometimes I want to be 80% charged when I leave in the morning. So I set a charge end timer in order to finish charging at 9am (which is about 80% charged by 7am), and have a climate charger for 7am when I want to leave. It does exactly that. The car preheats for 7am and is about 80% charged at 7am.
@CaptainPicard - You may want to experiment with your timers to see what happens with your vehicle.
I think you're saying the same thing. The car (at least my 40) will also charge if asked to preheat whilst plugged in. If you're trying to keep to cheap electricity slots, this may not be what you expect. For example, my charge timer is 00:30 to 04:30 to match my Octopus Go cheap slot, but if I ask the car to preheat just before 08:00 departure (whether on timer or through the app), it will also resume charging if it's not already at 100%, drawing 6.6kW rather than the lower amount needed to preheat.

Not a problem, just something to be aware of.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
That's what I thought, but the data from my energy provider (Octopus) indicates high electric usage before the charging start time, which is not possible as no other appliance are being used at 11pm, that's what made me have doubts about how the timer works. I'm guessing the problem is somehow caused by the energy provider.
Check the time in the car is actually correct. It sets its time automatically via either gps or the telematics connection (not sure which) however the timezone can be set wrong. My Leaf came with automatic daylight savings disabled so when the daylight savings changed the car didn't. Easy to fix though.

I use the charge timer extensively and it has always been reliable, so I would suggest that it's either the timezone set wrong in the car or the provider is giving you incorrect data. (Maybe their app is not handling timezones correctly)

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
This seems to depend on the firmware version / age of the car. My 2017 Leaf behaves as @dk6780 describes - if I try to set the charge end timer past the departure time to deliberately avoid charging to 100% it only works if the climate control timer is turned off.

For example for a leaving time of 7:30am if I set charge end to 9:30 (and no start time) with climate timer disabled it will be at approx 80% at 7:30am - just what I want, but if I set the climate departure timer to 7:30am as well the car will be fully charged at 5:30am despite the 9:30am charge end timer. :(

The climate timer seems to cause the car to want to charge to 100% 2 hours before departure, however this only applies when you only have a charge end timer set and no start timer.

·
Registered
Nissan LEAF30
6,963 Posts
This seems to depend on the firmware version / age of the car. My 2017 Leaf behaves as @dk6780 describes - if I try to set the charge end timer past the departure time to deliberately avoid charging to 100% it only works if the climate control timer is turned off.

For example for a leaving time of 7:30am if I set charge end to 9:30 (and no start time) with climate timer disabled it will be at approx 80% at 7:30am - just what I want, but if I set the climate departure timer to 7:30am as well the car will be fully charged at 5:30am despite the 9:30am charge end timer. :(

The climate timer seems to cause the car to want to charge to 100% 2 hours before departure, however this only applies when you only have a charge end timer set and no start timer.
Precisely what happens with my '65 LEAF30.

FWIW you can set the climate control via the App and that doesn't seem to override the charge timer, but isn't something that you can schedule for every day.

·
Registered
4,965 Posts
FWIW you can set the climate control via the App and that doesn't seem to override the charge timer, but isn't something that you can schedule for every day.
Yes, I use the "timer" in the app sometimes for after work - when I remember to set it ahead of time that is. Unfortunately not being able to schedule it more than once in a row limits its usefulness.

·
Registered
Leaf 24
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Check the time in the car is actually correct. It sets its time automatically via either gps or the telematics connection (not sure which) however the timezone can be set wrong. My Leaf came with automatic daylight savings disabled so when the daylight savings changed the car didn't. Easy to fix though.

I use the charge timer extensively and it has always been reliable, so I would suggest that it's either the timezone set wrong in the car or the provider is giving you incorrect data. (Maybe their app is not handling timezones correctly)
I'm now 99.9% sure the problem is to do with Octopus Go and how they process the data from the meter, when I plug the car in outside of the charging time, the flashing lights on the car indicates that it's not charging so it's doing what's it's meant to. Octopus energy hasn't got back to me yet, so I'm guessing they're investigating the issue. Thanks for the tip on daylight savings, I'll have to look into to that to make sure that it's on.

·
Registered
Leaf 30kWh, Outlander PHEV
2,698 Posts
Octopus have nothing to do with when your car charges besides metering

Recently after DST switch I noticed that my car was starting to charge an hour later. I have since removed the charger timer completely but without DST on car it was working correctly

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,965 Posts

Recently after DST switch I noticed that my car was starting to charge an hour later. I have since removed the charger timer completely but without DST on car it was working correctly

Go to Menu->Settings->Clock and make sure Summer Time is set to Auto. If it is set to enabled or disabled it will not change automatically.

Offset should be left at zero as that is an additional custom offset on top of the time zone and summer time adjustments.

Auto summer time works perfectly on my car (now that it is enabled) and the charge/climate timers work correctly both in and outside of daylight savings.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
Go to Menu->Settings->Clock and make sure Summer Time is set to Auto. If it is set to enabled or disabled it will not change automatically.

View attachment 144568

Offset should be left at zero as that is an additional custom offset on top of the time zone and summer time adjustments.

Auto summer time works perfectly on my car (now that it is enabled) and the charge/climate timers work correctly both in and outside of daylight savings.
The issue I had was that I have CarPlay firmware installed and I need to revert to enable timers.

Firmware installation tends to reset time and I can’t be bothered at this point

·
Registered
Leaf 24
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)

I'm now sure that the car is charging as it should be at the correct time, however, the readings from Octopus are completely incorrect, it shows high electric usage when there's none, and low electric usage when the car is charging, they're now investigating this issue.

·
Registered
2,698 Posts
I'm now sure that the car is charging as it should be at the correct time, however, the readings from Octopus are completely incorrect, it shows high electric usage when there's none, and low electric usage when the car is charging, they're now investigating this issue.
If you are awake at those hours (start time is good enough), have a look at the smart meter display. It should confirm the actual usage time while you wait for Octopus

·
Registered
Leaf 24
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
If you are awake at those hours (start time is good enough), have a look at the smart meter display. It should confirm the actual usage time while you wait for Octopus

Alright, I've got to the bottom of this issue, the problem was that the time on the meter was somehow nearly 4 hours behind, so any electricity used at 12.30am was reported at 9.30pm! I don't know what had caused that, and the customer service at Octopus was not very helpful, if I hadn't chased this up and researched it myself I don't think it would have been solved at all, I literally had to insist that they specifically look into timing issues with smart meters, and a few hours later it was fixed. The initial email that I sent them two weeks ago still hasn't been responded to either! Make sure to check your meters to see if the time is correct, otherwise you're not being billed correctly.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts