Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi Guys here's a question for you. Up to about a week ago I was only able to charge at a rapid charger (except on a few occasions) The average miles that would be shown was about 85miles. For just over a week now I have been charging on a fast charger and the battery has been charging to 100% getting between 90-100 miles on the clock. Here's the thing in the last few days I have noticed that after each charge more miles are available the highest being yesterday where it showed 101 miles this was the first time it was over 100 since i brought the car. The question is did the constant rapid charge harm the battery and is now repairing itself by using the the fast charge.? as of right now my car is charging it is currently at 92% with 94 miles on the clock which suggests it will be higher again today. (12.15pm update with charge complete 104 miles are showing so another increase)

·
Registered
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Thanks Qdos I obversley know it can't repair itself just was not sure how to ask basically what was going on. I had no choice with the rapid charge and always been worried it might do some harm.

·
Super Moderator
11,779 Posts
The GOM is not very accurate. It is a guess based on how you drove the car for the last few miles and how the car is set at the moment.

The increase is probably because you didn't just come off the motorway.

·
Registered
222 Posts
The GOM is not very accurate. It is a guess based on how you drove the car for the last few miles and how the car is set at the moment.

The increase is probably because you didn't just come off the motorway.
Plus the temperature has been rising over the last week or so

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Spot on - GOM is calculated from current driving style, active ancilleries, eco mode and vehicle efficiency on recent driving.

The leaf is most efficient when cruising (i.e. when on the motorway) hence why it tends to show a higher range on rapids at services

·
Registered
222 Posts
Spot on - GOM is calculated from current driving style, active ancilleries, eco mode and vehicle efficiency on recent driving.

The leaf is most efficient when cruising (i.e. when on the motorway) hence why it tends to show a higher range on rapids at services
I'm not sure many will agree that the Leaf is most efficient when cruising on a motorway. EV's are most efficient trundling along at fairly low speed on level ground (or downhill) hence the quoted max range of 124 miles instead of around 60 - 80 miles on a motorway

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Point taken.

My point was it's most efficient when cruising (not stopping and starting).

Should have said in real world conditions - how often are you going to cruise at 30mph for 124+miles. Realistically the only place you can cruise is on a motorway.

Fwiw I have managed 106 miles while hypermiling at about 56mph before I lost my nerve and jumped in the services to charge!

·
Registered
222 Posts
Fwiw I have managed 106 miles while hypermiling at about 56mph before I lost my nerve and jumped in the services to charge!
That's impressive! Most I've managed at similar speed was about 85 miles in my Mk1 on the A1 near Newcastle but there are loads of long hills which seem to sap a lot of power

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
That's impressive! Most I've managed at similar speed was about 85 miles in my Mk1 on the A1 near Newcastle but there are loads of long hills which seem to sap a lot of power
I was suprised too. Was expecting ~20miles less at best but i think it's mostly down to what you follow ;-)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts