Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
First off, apologies if any of these questions have been answered already. I've had a good search around but not found concrete answers (if there are any).

Quick backstory: I've had my eye on the Kona for well over a year, and we're finally lucky enough to be in a position to afford one. We've test driven a lot of different EVs over the last few weeks and the Kona is definitely the standout. Definitely a step up from our 2007 Polo! It's a bit typical now, but the eNiro was on our list, too, but the current wait times are a bit too long for us. I've found this forum a huge help so far in answering a lot of questions I've had, certainly a lot more knowledgable people here than I've found in dealerships. Anyway, on to the questions...

1. I've read that some Konas are now being made in the Czech Republic. Apparently these have different tyres (Michelins) and some unknown chassis change. I had assumed Czech-made Hyundais weren't available in the UK, but there was a newly delivered Tuscan (I think!?) in the dealership we visited with some paper from the factory stuck inside the window stating that it came from Czech Republic. Should I wait for the UK Konas to have these "upgrades" or just go for it now?

2. I don't want this to get at all political, but given this is a financial decision I have to consider the future and the effects of Brexit on finances, deal or no deal. I'm assuming in the event of no-deal (and potentially even a deal) that new car prices will increase, so if we are to buy, would it be prudent to do so before December 31st or am I just being overly cautious?

3. More curiosity, this one. We're new to buying a new car, after all....Colours. How come they differ between countries? You can get a beautiful Dark Knight colour in France! We'd love that one, but alas... That will stay a pipe-dream.

Cheers.

PS. Honestly I think I'm just after someone to tell me to go ahead and buy the damn car and stop worrying, but given the current economic situation (the COVID and Brexit double-whammy), the future is a lot more uncertain and I don't wanna get caught out.

·
Hyundai Kona convert...
224 Posts
Just go ahead.... I think I speak for most on the forum that the Kona is a choice you won’t regret. I drove from Milton Keynes to Exeter and back in mine today - 350 mile round trip. Effortless, easy and relaxing, with one charge on the way. Whether for financial, economic or environmental grounds it makes sense and is no compromise.... JDI

·
Registered
359 Posts
If you don't do it now, you may never do it, and you will certainly regret it because it is an amazing car. You could always ask the dealer about the Czech origin of the vehicle.

·
Registered
Kona 64
555 Posts
Yes just do it. When I ordered mine in August 18 there were no cars at dealers, so no test drive or chance to see the colours in the flesh but all the reviews were promising. The price has gone up dramatically since 2018 and who knows, with the brexit uncertainties what will happen to the price.

I think the Czech factory is only making LHD Kona's.

There are no bad choices of colour, its a car that looks handsome in any of the colour options

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
PS. Honestly I think I'm just after someone to tell me to go ahead and buy the damn car and stop worrying, but given the current economic situation (the COVID and Brexit double-whammy), the future is a lot more uncertain and I don't wanna get caught out.
If you can afford it and your future finances are reasonably secure (job security, big loan or PCP, etc) then get on with it. You've said it's the standout for you.

1. I've read that some Konas are now being made in the Czech Republic. Apparently these have different tyres (Michelins) and some unknown chassis change.
According to one article I found: "Left-hand-drive Konas produced at the firm’s factory in the Czech Republic are already being made with these updates, with right-hand-drive UK models (built in Ulsan, South Korea) set to benefit from July, although a Hyundai UK spokesperson told DrivingElectric that efforts are being made to bring this forward."

So (assuming that's true) if those changes are important to you you'll need to check/specify carefully and possibly have to wait a little longer for delivery.

·
Registered
Kona64
1,437 Posts
GO AHEAD !!!!
I signed up last week, for one unregistered already in uk stock.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
I believe the Czech factory is for left hand drive Konas, as said above, and the changes are marginal - a few economy tweaks to add about 8% to the range, but frankly the range is so incredible in these cars that it's not likely to make the slightest bit of difference. If you're in a position to get one, and get it quickly, I'd go for it. I waited 7 months for ours and it was worth it!

·
Registered
21 Posts
Did you try calling some Kia garages if the eNiro is something you want? A number of the garages here have some in stock that were cancelled orders because of C19.

·
Registered
Ion, Kona, 16 + 18 + 2020 Soul EV
2,648 Posts
If you can afford it and still have financial security just do it. We had a 2018 model and frankly the benefit of a little more range on the czech built model is negligable. The range is already so good you will not miss the little extra.

·
Registered
2020 Hyundai Kona Premium SE 64kWh, Ceramic Blue
75 Posts
Worth noting that under EU law you can order, buy & pick up a right-hand drive car in France, some of our local farmers have bought vehicles (cars, vans, minibuses) from Eastern Europe, the price being cheaper even when adding the cost of UK registrations, IIRC there is some tax to pay at Dover (vat?), but the get around for that was to get a returning farm worker to buy the vehicle 6-months earlier and then bring it over for UK registration. Note that many of these Eastern European summer farm workers are earning money to finance careers or build houses back home, I have talked to student Doctors, Accountants, Teachers and Engineers. They are paid by the amount of produce that they pick and, working 6-day weeks earn well over minimum wage. Also note that the warranty is an EU warranty and is still valid. All going in December now though.

My guess is that Hyundai do not make right-hand drive Konas in that colour though so this wouldn't work for you.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Thanks for all the replies, they've been super helpful.

You could always ask the dealer about the Czech origin of the vehicle.
Ended up doing just that, thanks. Spoke to the dealership today and asked about ordering the updated 2020 model and they're not able to place an order yet. It's showing on their system (model 20.5 apparently) but just can't do anything with it. So they are coming, but no idea when.

Worth noting that under EU law you can order, buy & pick up a right-hand drive car in France
Haha, good to know, but to go to all that trouble just to get the colour we want is a bit much, I'm naturally lazy!

Did you try calling some Kia garages if the eNiro is something you want?
I think before we finally take the plunge on the Kona we wanna at least test drive an eNiro, just to rule it out if nothing else. The temptation of a bit more space is strong (plus it is available in black!), but we reckon the exterior of the Kona looks better, plus the wait times (from what little I know, admittedly) for the eNiro are still rather long. It's splitting hairs, really.

According to one article I found
Your google-fu is stronger than mine, clearly! Thanks for the clarification.

I believe the Czech factory is for left hand drive Konas, as said above, and the changes are marginal - a few economy tweaks to add about 8% to the range, but frankly the range is so incredible in these cars that it's not likely to make the slightest bit of difference.
Yeah, that's pretty much what I'm thinking, too. It's deciding between the certainty of getting one now (7 - 10 days, still amazed as I was expecting months) vs. the uncertainty of waiting for these minor changes to arrive in the UK.

Off for another test drive on Sat to do some motorway driving, but it feels quite certain at this point. Thanks for quelling my fears!

·
Registered
359 Posts
I was looking at the E-Niro because my son is 6 feet tall and built like a rugby player. However, it was a 6 month wait for the Niro and 2 months for the Kona. So, I sat my son in the back of the Kona, raised the driver's seat so he could get his feet comfortably under it, got a good driving position and he is comfortable. So I wouldn't worry too much. if you have a tall passenger, make sure they sit behind you.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
Also I wouldn't bet on supply still being around 2-3 weeks for much longer; this is a backlog of cars that came in while lockdown was going on and from the tail end of last year when they held back supply to push EV sales into 2020 to help them with their emissions targets. I'm expecting the wait to drift back up to 6-10 weeks before long... still nothing compared to several months but less immediate. Now is the sweet spot I think!

Reactions: InQuietStreets

·
Registered
250 Posts
I'm 6'2", and found the Kona fine once I'd adjusted the seat to suit me...probably best we put tall passengers behind my partner!
I’m 6’3” and agree with your comment above.

As a side issue I would point out because of my height, on my 2018 Kona Premium SE the sliding HUD does not have enough adjustment to see projections on the road ahead. This means that even with the drivers seat in the lowest position the projections appear in line with the bonnet!

Perhaps I have previously been spoilt by having a proper HUD windscreen projection on a German car which displayed on the road ahead. Much better in my view (no pun intended).

This was mentioned on this Forum a long time ago but Hyundai may have picked up on it anyway so that it may not apply to the latest model. This aspect of the car was probably designed by a short Korean guy unaware that some of us Brits are much taller.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
I don't think the 'HUD' was ever intended to be that high. To be proper HUD the data would need to be in the middle of the windscreen, needing a very tall device, which could itself be considered an obstruction in the driver's view, legally.
Having it below the eye-line avoids any obstruction issue. It allows you to read data without looking far from the road and also gives the benefit of doing so without changing your eye focus from distant to near and back, which takes a little time.

Direct windscreen projection probably has difficulties that can be costed into premium cars, but would be too expensive for the less upmarket end.

·
Registered
250 Posts
I don't think the 'HUD' was ever intended to be that high. To be proper HUD the data would need to be in the middle of the windscreen, needing a very tall device, which could itself be considered an obstruction in the driver's view, legally.
Having it below the eye-line avoids any obstruction issue. It allows you to read data without looking far from the road and also gives the benefit of doing so without changing your eye focus from distant to near and back, which takes a little time.

Direct windscreen projection probably has difficulties that can be costed into premium cars, but would be too expensive for the less upmarket end.
Agree about the direct windscreen device likely extra cost but not the other comment above.

If I shrink deeper into my seat just a little, to an uncomfortable position or as an experiment, slightly force the pop up screen against the mechanism I can alter the view sufficiently to project onto the road. To me this indicates that only a small extra range of adjustment is required and that has more to do with angle rather than height.

·
Registered
4,838 Posts
To me this indicates that only a small extra range of adjustment is required and that has more to do with angle rather than height.
Changing the angle of the screen will not get it to 'project onto the road". It would need to be raised so the line through the driver's eye and the screen passed above the bonnet.

It only seems to be a problem for some people though. Before I got the car I'd seen this mentioned and when I collected it I looked and thought "Oh yeah". But since then I can't say I've noticed it, possibly because the back of the bonnet is close enough to be a bit out of focus.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Also I wouldn't bet on supply still being around 2-3 weeks for much longer; this is a backlog of cars that came in while lockdown was going on and from the tail end of last year when they held back supply to push EV sales into 2020 to help them with their emissions targets. I'm expecting the wait to drift back up to 6-10 weeks before long... still nothing compared to several months but less immediate. Now is the sweet spot I think!
Good to know, ta. There's an 8-week lead time on the wall charger we have our eye on, so it wouldn't the end of the world if we ended up waiting 10 weeks for the car.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts