Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Mike,

I'm new to EVs and I wanted to ask - how much range could you add to a env200? Could you add some cells to make it 30kwh or even 50kwh? And a ball park figure to do such a thing?
Many thanks in advance

·
Registered
2,976 Posts
FWIW I'm sizing a Leaf-module battery for an electric motorbike. 12 Leaf Modules will give me about 90V and 5.8 kWh nominal (probably more like 4kWh useable). This is 1/4 of a Leaf Battery out of a 24 kWh car, and will weigh 46 Kg.

These Modules have 4 Cells in , each cell is 3.75V appx, arranged as 2 in series, paralleled with 2 in series, so appx 7.5V out. Cells can be rewired, so I could get myself 180V if I really wanted; if your EV wants something like 360V, then you could possibly have 1/2 a Leaf battery to give you extra 12 kWh (appr 10 useable?), but half the current out as compared to a Leaf because you lost the parallellism, weighing about 92Kg + some more Kg steel chassis/cables/controller etc. So the added horsepower would be at most 1/2 that of a Leaf - but probably very welcome! How much weight can you take? :unsure:

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Easiest thing to do is double the capacity using another pack so you would have 48kwh total. I think we'd be somewhere around £7-8k for 48kwh. To include battery enclosures, battery management and.integration with the existing systems

Weight is a big consideration. Is yourvan still usable with 350kg taken off its payload?

From a technical perspective. The voltages and charge profiles must match. You could do a half pack (12kwh) but its alot more involved as each of the modules would need to be split.

Hope this helps.

Mike

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks guys

So Mike you reckon the extra 24kwh battery + bits and bobs weight an extra 350kg? Wow! What about space - would there still be space under the floor to fit all that or would it need to go in the van?

From memory the payload of env200 is 750 kg so if I take the 350 kg that leaves me around 400 kg which wouldn't be too bad, I'm a skinny guy :)

·
I'm not crazy, the attack has begun.
23,090 Posts
The van is 750kg payload. The combi/envalia are ~640kg payload. You didn't mention which model.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
All underneath on the ENV. You will lose the spare wheel.

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
I dont think it will be necessary due to the larger pack size (less heat per volume/area).

The env battery cooling doesnt cool the cells themselfes. -Its the electronics within the pack which we replace with our own anyway.

·
Registered
270 Posts
The payload is 703 kg which includes the driver and passenger (say 160kg).

I went into this in detail when fitting out my van as I run at about 670kg st the start of the day.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That should do me as I don't carry any heavy loads but bulky. I will look into this once I get the van which shouldn't be too long.
Has anyone else done it before?

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Real world about 130 assuming current 65-70 mile rage on the 24kwh model

·
Registered
1,907 Posts
Precisely why I diddnt say 140. When we did the leaf stuff it wasnt as bad as expected due to the efficiency gains in having a larger battery - original pack works half as hard.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Good stuff.

I drove the standard env200 for the first time today (I have it for 2 days) - wow! What a fantastic van. I had a Transit before and it's night and day with the Nissan. Love it. I won't need the extra range for another year when I move house. At the moment I live in the city and work in the city so the standard battery will be fine. But I'm serious about adding another pack when I move out of city.

Now I need to decide whether to get a Tekna or Acenta spec???

1 - 20 of 41 Posts