Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In Eco mode you get an indicator that shows how much energy was captured when slowing down and displays it in terms of additional range added e.g. 0.3 miles.

In Normal mode that indicator isn't displayed.

The thing is that I prefer to drive in Normal mode but I also want that indicator.

So....

I altered my Eco settings to have no upper speed limit and I set the climate control to "normal". My Eco mode is now effectively the same as Normal and I get my regen indicator. Lovely.

However in switching between Eco and Normal with these new settings, I noticed there is still a 5 mile range difference.

Not a huge difference but I'm curious, what else might Eco mode do to the driving experience to squeeze an extra 5 miles out of the range with all other things being equal?

Or could it be that there's isn't really a difference but it's hardcoded into the calculation somehow?

·
Registered
E-Niro 64kWh '4' since 22/9/20 (was Prius)
382 Posts
An interesting workaround suggestion, but are you sure the accelerator response is the same now on ECO and Normal? I believe there may be a subtle difference on the gradient of the 'Throttle' Pedal response law i.e. logarithmic/linear Etc. Also maybe the regen braking characteristics Might be different?

However I must try this as I also prefer the Normal mode driving feel, but do miss that interesting regen miles indicator. I live in a very hilly area so that regen indicator was very interesting during big descents. If it works I would be pleased.

Peter

·
Registered
307 Posts
I only used Eco mode for 1 drive before switching to normal, so I don't even know what indicator you're talking about. :LOL:

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,846 Posts
In Eco mode you get an indicator that shows how much energy was captured when slowing down and displays it in terms of additional range added e.g. 0.3 miles.
Are you sure about this? I was wondering recently after going down a good size hill and managed to get a display of "+1.9".

After a quick math, that is close to 500 - 600Wh! Edit: my maths was off on the Wh/mile.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
277 Posts
I believe you'll find a quite noticeable difference in throttle response between eco and normal, regardless of the regen and other settings.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Interesting. I'll check that again. Could be with my driving style of anticipation rather than reaction I haven't noticed the difference yet. I'll try a few fast starts at traffic lights and pretend I'm 18 again :)
But yes I guess that could add a few miles to the range.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
277 Posts
Interesting. I'll check that again. Could be with my driving style of anticipation rather than reaction I haven't noticed the difference yet. I'll try a few fast starts at traffic lights and pretend I'm 18 again :)
But yes I guess that could add a few miles to the range.
You mean you haven't tried that yet? You really should - it's fun. And then put it in sport mode as you hit an empty dual carriageway off a roundabout and see what happens - it's a blast ;). You have to do these things once.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I did sports mode on my first day. Scared the crap out of me. :) Fun yes but not so much when I crash, what is at the end of the day, my wife's car.

What I haven't done is to compare putting my foot down in the other modes. Yup I'll try it but on a dry day and there aren't many of those about at the moment.

·
Registered
421 Posts
I found that in a 40 mile B road run to my parents I tend to get a higher average m/kw in normal than I do in eco. I assume the extra grunt in normal copes better with the hilly bits?

Sent using Tapatalk (I'm on my phone so sorry for any auto correct screwups)

·
Registered
307 Posts
I only did a fast acceleration from a roundabout onto a dual carriageway properly the other day, and that was in normal mode. I never actually slam my foot down though, I like to have a least a bit of control. One day I'll try sports mode I guess.

·
Registered
259 Posts
I started off using ECO mode and struggled to get into the 7's km/kw. Once I changed to Normal mode, I got into the mid 7's

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Nearly blew a gasket but then saw it was Kms. That's 4.35 miles and yeah easily achieved in normal. I'll be driving in Eco for a while and I'll make sure to compare though it is a bit colder now.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Nearly blew a gasket but then saw it was Kms. That's 4.35 miles and yeah easily achieved in normal. I'll be driving in Eco for a while and I'll make sure to compare though it is a bit colder now.
Did the same

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
66 Posts
My old diesel Octavia had an eco mode where the dsg box would disengage the clutch when not under power (and freewheel). Didn't safe any fuel. Sounds like this may be similarly pointless.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020 64KWh
277 Posts
I have tried eco mode and normal mode, and don't see a noticeable difference in economy to be honest. I think it is more down to how heavy your right foot is, and all eco mode is doing is regulating how heavy you are with your right foot.

I have got 3.8m/kwh out of my first 1000 miles but mine is the Soul not the eNiro so not as aerodynamic, although for a car with the shape of a brick it does remarkably well. Plus, I felt compelled to change the original Nexen tyres off because even though they are optimised for efficiency, they are awful in every other respect. The new tyres, Goodyear efficient grip P2s, are I suspect not as efficient and cost me a little bit on the m/kwh return but to me its worth it because they feel much safer.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,846 Posts
The new tyres, Goodyear efficient grip P2s, are I suspect not as efficient and cost me a little bit on the m/kwh return but to me its worth it because they feel much safer.
Not according to the tyre comparisons:
Edit: sorry I thought this review had Nexen when I last read it. But it seems to have disappeared ....Well it ranked dead last...

·
Registered
Kia e-Niro 4 MY20
310 Posts
Eco mode, aside from any throttle mapping changes, reduces the available power to the aircon/heating.

·
Registered
Kia Soul EV 2020
1,846 Posts
Eco mode, aside from any throttle mapping changes, reduces the available power to the aircon/heating.
I'm not sure how this works, as you have the option to change your aircon from "eco" to "normal" in drive mode settings. So, is the power still reduced even though choosing "normal" HVAC?

·
Registered
394 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I'm not sure how this works, as you have the option to change your aircon from "eco" to "normal" in drive mode settings. So, is the power still reduced even though choosing "normal" HVAC?
Exactly. My Eco mode is now set to run the climate control in normal mode so hopefully that shouldn't make a difference. It's only a 5 mile difference on a 200 mile range so percentage wise it's a tiny difference but I was curious as to what else might make up that difference and throttle control sound very plausible.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts