Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
24 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can I ask again if anyone recently has tried a OBD2 port and software (preferably for an iPhone) on a Reanault Zoe?

It would be good to keep track of the battery SOC drop on a regular basis using something like this.

I see some mention of this page on the internet generally but a lot of the posts are quite old.

CanZE

But it comes with a large red warning at the top of the page which makes me wonder if it's worth trying.

·
Registered
423 Posts
I'm sure @yoh-there, one of the authors of CanZE, will respond shortly. If you do a search for CanZE on this site you will find plenty feedback and that there are lots of enthusiastic users. I'm sure they will commend it strongly to you.

However, CanZE does require an OBDII dongle with a 'complete' implementation of the ELM327 and its firmware and there are lots of knock offs (with incomplete hardware / firmware) on the market. The Konnwei Bluetooth one I bought didn't work with CanZE, but this could have been a fault in that particular device. The iPhone version of CanZE works with WiFi, not Bluetooth..

See Hardware for more information on hardware requirements.

I'd like to ask users of CanZE that have bought branded OBDII dongles recently and found them to work with CanZE to post links to where they bought them here. It would also help new users if you leave a review on the seller's site saying whether or not the dongle worked with CanZE. This is not going to be foolproof, as the seller may have different sources of supply and one batch may work when the next doesn't.

Still, I want to buy my next attempt from somewhere that has previously supplied ODBII Bluetooth dongles that have worked with CanZE. That at least increases the chances it will work.

·
Co-author of CanZE. Q210 nov 2013
4,388 Posts
I am a co-author of CanZE. On Android, we are in the 1000-5000 downloads category. That puts a smile on my face and I think it's a reasonable indication that a few are indeed using it. Having said that, there are indeed issues with dongles. We have avoided any issues recommending the KONNWEI / MAXISCAN 902, but there is strong indication that @cDy bumped into a new batch that is F-ed up. I am still hoping it's a very nifty problem in the single one @cDy got, so I ordered a new one. To avoid a lot of retyping, here is a link and I will try to keep all updated. Dongle trouble #2

It has our attention for sure!!

Any recommendation of a branded dongle that works is appreciated. Unfortunately a working but random, unbranded one with a link to your favorite auction site is not cutting it as you never know what you get the next week. I have a few of those and are happy with the ones working, but I think my success rate was about 25%.

·
Registered
386 Posts
By large red warning at the top you mean the "Formal disclaimer"? I think that's actually common sense.

On a side note, I've been using CanZe for iOS for more than half a year now. It's a bit buggy, requires to be restarted quite often, probably information overload. Other than that, it's a pretty cool app (provides fantastic info), but that needs some extra touches (iOS version).

Here's a recent screen capture:

capture.png

·
4,388 Posts
iOS needs a WiFi dongle and AFAIK the developer copied the Android code to control the dongle, using exactly the same commands and timing. I pray the firmware of the WiFi KONNWEI902 hasn't changed either. Thank you for the heads-up @mihai

·
Registered
16 Posts
Is this brand works ? I'm trying to get my iPhone 7 to connect and nothing , but I already try the android version with a bt dongle anda e can't read the car, my afraid is the obd is with problems

Attachments

·
Registered
423 Posts
Is this brand works ? I
Probably not. See this page on the CanZE website for some guidance: Hardware Do read right through the posts at the end of the page and not just the text at the top as there is a lot of info in the posts.

There are loads of KONWEI KW902 dongles about. Is there any way if working out which will work (on Android)?
I believe that the Konnwei and Maxiscan dongles have always worked, but I received one that didn't. @yoh-there has been investigating (thanks again) and issued the following: Dongle trouble #2

I asked earlier on this thread if CanZE users could post on this thread (it would be helpful to do so on the CanZE site as well I guess) links to dongles they have bought that worked. However, any seller could change their own source of supply, so this would only reduce risk, not eliminate it.

The Konnwei dongles are cheap, so I will buy one at random in the next few weeks and post whether it works. Probably best not to buy the cheapest - they should be the most likely to be knock-offs.

·
Registered
423 Posts
That looks good. Is there any way that plugging a 20Ohm dongle into the car can do any damage? If not, then I'll ge tone and see how I get on...
Cheers
Duncan
It shouldn't break anything, but it could interfere with communications over the bus that the car expects to work. I certainly wouldn't drive with it connected and will measure the resistance as described by @yoh-there before connecting the next one I've ordered. If it is 20ohms then he tells you how to remove the resistor.

·
4,388 Posts
Break: no. Weird errors and possibly not working until removed: yes :( Please do not drive with it until checked / modified.

·
Registered
96 Posts
@yoh-there
I've had my canze dongle for over two years and it is still working mostly, BT is a bit flaky at times, but OK.
I opened mine up out of curiosity and it seems to be another different layout as per pix.
The on/off button has failed in the ON position which means I plug and unplug live which I would rather not do, but it seems to still work OK. Is this likely to cause any problems or should I replace it.
Cheers

Attachments

·
4,388 Posts
Yup, yours is the old design. It has a 120 ohm terminator, which is also not OK (better would be entirely open), but works reasonably fine. Do NOT replace it!

·
4,388 Posts
When I got home tonight the KONNWEI dongle I ordered on August the 29th had arrived directly from China.

I ordered it here Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com. Less than 8 quid.

It had the proper 120 ohm resistance on the CANbus. Next, I opened it up and it is the new design, i.o.w., it seems like the error was found and new supplies are OK. Of course we don't know how many old supplies there are and if by chance I got the top of a just replenished stack. YMMV.

Note in my post on the CanZE website that the problem started occurring already in April. I didn't know this but at least there is a fair chance the problem dongles are sort of slowly going out of stock.

·
Zoe Devotee
8,565 Posts
When I got home tonight the KONNWEI dongle I ordered on August the 29th had arrived directly from China.

I ordered it here Buy Products Online from China Wholesalers at Aliexpress.com. Less than 8 quid.

It had the proper 120 ohm resistance on the CANbus. Next, I opened it up and it is the new design, i.o.w., it seems like the error was found and new supplies are OK. Of course we don't know how many old supplies there are and if by chance I got the top of a just replenished stack. YMMV.

Note in my post on the CanZE website that the problem started occurring already in April. I didn't know this but at least there is a fair chance the problem dongles are sort of slowly going out of stock.

Maybe time for the powers at be at CanZe start charging £10 for the app (and it comes with a "free" dongle)?

1 - 20 of 90 Posts