Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Do British Gas run power cable from my home consumer unit to the garage, or do I have to get an electrician to run the cable to an isolation switch and BG go from there?

Thanks in advance :)

·
Ampera aka IGOR
Tesla Model 3 P
3,713 Posts
British Gas (P H Jones) ran a cable from the main consumer unit up inside a wall, along the attic space of a small bungalow from one side to the other and then down to the charging point, this was for a 16 amp socket and the job is very neat and tidy and completed in a morning.

·
Registered
7,249 Posts
There is a limit to what they will do without charging you more money. If they have to run cables far or around the outside or put in additional earthing etc then it is possible they may charge you for the extra work.

Most people are fine though.

·
Super Moderator
7,610 Posts
My (32A) cable goes from consumer unit, through a cupboard, the downstairs loo, the living room, out the wall, down the garden lagged to a fence, round a corner, through a brick wall and then mounted to the wall. They charged me £97 extra for that, but it's all in neat trunking and done in a couple of hours.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hmm the plot thickens. Spoke to BG today, they have told me they won't install the isolation point and I will have to get my provider to run the cable from my hallway to the garage. It all conflicts with what they say on the web. They also said if this isolation point wasn't in place they would abandon the install.

So the plan is my provider will sort a local sparkie,run the cable, and add the isolation point. Then get BG to come and fit the charging unit.. A FAFF indeed! They don't tell you this when you buy the car.

·
Registered
1,036 Posts
I originally intended to have ours fitted in the garage where there is a 25 amp connection already serving two 3-pin plugs. the BG guy told me that he would only fit the charge point in there if I agreed to have the 3-pin pugs and the lighting disconnected. He was very particular about the spur being dedicated to the charging point. Obviously I didn't want my garage to be devoid of useable electricity so I got him to fit it at the front of the house.

·
Registered
575 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
So I filled the online form out this morning, and within an hour a BG agent phoned me to confirm an installation date. Result!
Just a small matter of getting the isolation point installed in the garage now. Fingers crossed

·
Registered
Corsa-e Elite Nav 70 reg
698 Posts
When mine was installed (August '13), the BG installer provided a garage unit containing a 40A trip and a 40A RCD connected to the big switch (100A) on my consumer unit (I didn't have any spare slots). There was no charge for this.

I think that each installer makes up his own rules.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.