Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My beast comes with some upgrade features about which I'm particularly chuffed, viz front parking sensors; LED (not customary halogen) headlights, ie additional to the standard LED DRLs; 10", as opposed to the usual 7", built-in satnav device and, finally, a ceiling-mounted SOS/Breadown button. On top of that quartet, I'm having a set of f and r mudflaps fitted along with two pairs of carpet mats. Meanwhile, the dealer today sent me a short illustrative video, which I very much appreciated. A combination of those extra features and an attractive price has enticed me to make a 570-mile return trip to collect the car as the inclusion of the first four items is not something you normally expect in a secondhand electric Pug. However, I'm extremely apprehensive about driving homewards some 280 miles in a vehicle which divers commentators report as having characteristically spongy brakes and an initial lag response when the pedal's pressed...

Aside from that latter factor, can anyone please enlighten me on two counts:

Firstly, I gather my car will have basic alloys, not diamand cut alloys - what's the difference?

Secondly, bizarely, I'm told that the parking sensors can accidentally be turned off. Ooh Missus! That alarms me. >How can I avoid this<? For the life of me I can't even begin to comprehend why buyers would stipulate inclusion of the thing(s) if they can be deactivated, e ither intentionally or, repeat, unintentionally... Surely if they're ordered at deposit-time you'd want such a feature to be an unalterable •fixture•? Certainly in my case I don't want to mistakenly silence them and it seems that that's all too easily possible...

·
Premium Member
2014 Model S
8,135 Posts
There's usually a button marked P>> or similar in most cars with parking sensors to turn them off and on. They don't usually change state. Once they're on they stay on.

The corsa brakes seem fine (same car) There was some update on them at some point so it's worth checking with the dealer to make sure there isn't a campaign/enhancement/recall etc before you pick it up.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for your feedback. Interesting. My worry re the sensors situation is because on the px Zoe I d i d accidentally switch off this feature. I don't how I did but, mercifully, I was gingerly reversing into a very tight parking spot on one indelibly memorable occasion when something (I don't know what) 'told' me that the feature wasn't working. Thank goodness because indeed they were NOT working and my correct instinct prevented a possibly expensive knock. I previously had a modern Picanto and ITS sensors, sensibly, certainly couldn't be turned off at all. I'll grill the dealer on the topic.

·
Registered
40kW Leaf Tekna & 22kW Zoë Q210 dynamique intens
742 Posts
Firstly, I gather my car will have basic alloys, not diamand cut alloys - what's the difference?
The difference between basic and diamond cut alloys is as follows:

Basic alloys have a fully painted finish, if you give them kerb rash they are pretty easy to refinish they just sand down the affected area fill any really deep imperfections and respray them.

Diamond cut alloys are a bit of a different animal, they are sprayed as basic ones are then mounted onto a diamond lathe which precision machines the faces of them which exposes the bare aluminium leaving a finish which refracts the light similar to looking at the playing surface of a compact disk (does anyone remember those?) they then apply a clear powder coat over the whole wheel to stop it corroding.

To refinish diamond alloys is basically is a pain in the arse and costs quite a bit more than the basic ones, they are however prettier to look at, just mind the kerbs! 😉

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thank you so much for your fulsome and obviously knowlegable response. Most enlightening. The car I'm to shortly acquire has standard alloys which admittedly look somewhat nondescript but the bonus is as you described.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Welcome Saucebox.

Firstly do you mean Cumulus Grey?

That's what I have.

Drewby80, has given a good explanation re the alloys.

Screenshot 2021-04-19 at 21.27.53.png

I have not had a single issue with my brakes or how they feel, even though I rarely use them, Regen is so good.

I'm not aware of a Parking sensor button within the dash, I would have thought this is more likely to be in a Settings Menu, which most of us use very rarely.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for your feedback.

Yes, you're quite right, I meant Cumulus Grey. (I'm giving my age away when I reveal that my mistake reminds me of the late Hilda Baker, whose act characteristically relied on deliberate word mixups when, for example, she once remarked that "I can say that without fear of contraception!")

I'm mighty relieved to hear that the brakes give you no problem, given the number of commentators who complain about them.

I've just been reading one review which, of the near fifty I've perused thus far, remarked on rattles in the e208 he tested... I can't abide such noises in a vehicle and if there's even the slightest suggestion of such when I test drive the beast I'll instantly reject it.

I was both fascinated and dismayed that, in the same report he was again the sole dissenter when he observed that other BEVs are quoter than the Pug...

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
It is possible to develop an over-reliance on driving aids and while rear parking sensors are a boon, most people with eyes in their head and a modicum of spatial awareness can manage without front sensors. I used to live somewhere with a tight parking spot and every time I drove in or out the car would flash and bong at me until I turned the front parking sensors off. I found this more of an annoyance than an aid. When parking in an unfamiliar spot, perhaps with a wall or barrier that was lower than the bonnet I might turn the front sensor on to get a bit more feedback.

Enjoy your new car.

·
Registered
466 Posts
I too remember Hilda Baker and Jimmy Jewel. So we're both in Good/Bad company.

Regarding rattles, there is a known rattle, but no one seems to have got to the bottom of it. I occasionally hear it on my car, but quite probably because the car is so quiet.

10 months in and I have no regrets, plus I'm now back to the once weekly or less charging regime.

·
Registered
466 Posts
Parking Sensors.

There is NO hard button.

Press the Car Button in the middle of the row of Piano Keys, the Centre Display will show Driving Functions, press that option and Parking Sensors comes up. On/Off.

Simples.

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
That's good news. Thanks. I don't know how I managed it but on my current Zoe somehow a while back I did accidentally deactivate the sensors whilst performing an unrelated function in the car, hence I'm keen not to repeat the mistake. Your illuminating feedback is reassuring. Reiterated thanks.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts