Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm considering looking out for a 60ah ReX rather than a Zoe ZE40.

I'm assuming that older ReX is exempt from road tax? I thought I read something about i3s being £140 a year to tax.

The other question is, how common is fast charging on those early ReXs? I'm assuming they're more desirable and cost a bit more than one without?

·
Super Moderator
11,691 Posts
Yes the old ones are exempt.

The early 60Ah Rex have reliability issues and are VERY expensive to repair.

If you are worried about a few hundred pounds tax, an old i3 is not for you.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
I'm considering looking out for a 60ah ReX rather than a Zoe ZE40.

I'm assuming that older ReX is exempt from road tax? I thought I read something about i3s being £140 a year to tax.

The other question is, how common is fast charging on those early ReXs? I'm assuming they're more desirable and cost a bit more than one without?
Yes, 60Ah REx will be zero rated for road tax. DC charging wasn't standard on the earliest ones but was a common option because really why would you have bought one without? Just be sure to check that before you make an offer.

Pre Nov 2015 there were some issues with the REx, if it is that old make sure it had all the recalls done. After that date though they're rock solid.

Sent from my Pixel C using Tapatalk

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
It was an option in 2014 and maybe 2015. Those are the one to avoid.

The i3 Rex is taxed as a PHEV.... Exemption ended in 2017 or 18. Mine is not exempt.
Yes, but it doesn't change retrospectively. So if date of first registration is before whenever it changed (March 2017?) then it was zero rated then and is zero rated now. Technically it has never been exempt: you still have to pay the road tax every year, it's just the payment is £0. Fail to pay and you still get a fine.

·
Registered
5,063 Posts
For reliability, I know one example may not be representative but the complete history of my i3 (first registered 1st March 2016) in order:

Cracked number plate replaced.

Faulty charging board replaced under warranty (I think that one would have been expensive outside warranty).

Hit a deer: headlight, indicator, wheel, and some body panels replaced by BMW bodyshop under insurance.

First service after 2 years. Oil change etc.

End of warranty check after 3 years but nothing needed doing.

Split front suspension gaiters replaced after nearly 4 years (cost £150).

Second service after 4 years. Oil change etc. Also got them to fix the petrol filler cap release for another £150. That last one is likely to hit all older REx's so if you're buying one check whether the petrol flap opens reliably and if it does check whether they had it fixed (otherwise it may stop opening).

Also wipers and tyres at various times.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Hmm. Ok, thanks guys. I knew tires could be an expense on an i3, but was thinking an older BMW might have fewer issues than a Renault, as they seem to top the charts for poor reliability. But it sounds like BMW had their teething problems too.

·
Registered
BMW i3 REx 2014
220 Posts
In my opinion, any EV ownership should be backed up with a warranty as nothing is cheap if there is a problem. Whilst my 64 plate REx is a keeper, I only bought it as it had a 1 year BMW warranty with a 'quality warranty' extra 2 years added. In the first warranty year (last year), I think my claims cost BMW in excess of £6K. Note that the REx part was fine, the steering rack (full front suspension removal), EME (full engine and motor removal), gaitors and parking pawl (inlet manifold removal), not so good.

If you do buy a non-BMW dealer car you can re-warrant an i3 (with full service history, under 10 years old and less than 60K miles) that has a lapsed warranty. Call 0345 504 9535 for full details.

·
Registered
2020 BMW i3S 120Ah BEV
428 Posts
I suspect that if you go look at the ICE forums you see a lot of people saying the same thing about turbos, flappy-paddle gearboxes, and radar sensors, as an excuse to buy warranties with similarly eye-watering repair costs. I question when it's ever been "ok" to pay £500+ a year for a car warranty on anything less than fifteen years old..! (But then I have a 25 year old VW so I know all about repair costs..)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts