Speak EV - Electric Car Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've had Evie for 6 days now and covered a grand total of 340 miles (supposed to be 267 a week but we won't go there!) So now I have some questions....

What's the maximum speed anyone has hax from their Leaf? Does it do any damage to your battery to travel at speeds in excess of 80mph?

When Carwings repeatedly says it's unable to connect to server does that mean it's down? If it's down why is Leaf Manager still working?

Can I put Crawings on more than one mobile device and link it to the car? Hubby will occasionally be allowed to use Evie so it'd be helpful if he can check charging etc (if it's working) whilst away from the car.

Howmuch is a second type 2 cable please? I've got my socketed 30 amp charger and I'd like to have a second cable so I don't have to put a wet lead in my nice clean and tidy new car! Does it have to be a Nissan lead or am I ok to buy a different one bearing in mind it's new and on a pcp so I don't want to do anything obviously naughty!

If anyone can help with any if my questions it'd be very much appreciated, thank you. Oh and if by any chance anyone is looking to buy an environmentally friendly 4 hoofed form of transportation please let me know! ;)

·
Premium Member
1,579 Posts
I can't answer all your questions, but for the second type two cable, the best supplier is Nuworld Energy – no-one will ever know that it's not Nissan original equipment.

Sorry, not interested in buying a horse – I'm happy to go by bike! :D

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Ican't answer all your questions, but for the second type two cable, the best supplier is Nuworld Energy – no-one will ever know that it's not Nissan original equipment.

Sorry, not interested in buying a horse – I'm happy to go by bike! :D
No worries, that bit was slightly tongue in cheek ;) thank you for that. I will go have a look :)

Just thought of another question, how many miles per kilowatt is average? I'm getting 4 at the moment but no idea if that is good bad or ugly! ;)

·
Registered
853 Posts
I've travelled at the indicated 99 mph (on a private road) and the main thing I did notice is it won't do it for very long as your not going to get much range at those speeds!

Average miles per kW for me is around 3.8-4.2 depending how ecomonical I'm feeling

Carwings can be unable to connect if the car has poor signal strength so it doesn't mean it's automaticlly down.

Carwings can be used on multiple devices

I don't want a horse either I never rated the suspension on those things

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I've travelled at the indicated 99 mph (on a private road) and the main thing I did notice is it won't do it for very long as your not going to get much range at those speeds!

Average miles per kW for me is around 3.8-4.2 depending how ecomonical I'm feeling

Carwings can be unable to connect if the car has poor signal strength so it doesn't mean it's automaticlly down.

Carwings can be used on multiple devices

I don't want a horse either I never rated the suspension on those things
Thanks that's very helpful. Will upload it to hubby's phone then. I'm reluctant to think that it's lack of signal as up until today it's worked perfectly on my drive, and that's where it is now. The only thing that's changed is that it's plugged in to my own newly installed charger. Do yiu think that coukd be affecting it? Really hope not.

·
Registered
853 Posts
No the charger shouldn't affect it. I've just tried viewing my charge level via my phone and that doesn't appear to be working either :(

Incidentally you have the exact same car as me :)

·
Registered
1,231 Posts
The average mpkwh is 4 or 4.2, according to the electronic lady with the voice of Charlotte Green who inhabits our dashboard. When we first got our Leaf, our mileage was about that, but with more driving I'm eking out more miles. Some days I average in excess of 5mpkwh. I do tend to find that if I've got a long day's driving, the first 100 miles are more economical than the rest. I think I get fed up with using my right foot very lightly.

We'll see how I get on tomorrow. I've got about 240 miles to do (Southend to Skipton) and I'm going to give the A1 a try. The last time we went north it was a no-go area for EVs so we used the M1 and dealerships. Now there are several strategically placed rapid chargers along the A1 so I'm hoping there will be no problem..

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
The average mpkwh is 4 or 4.2, according to the electronic lady with the voice of Charlotte Green who inhabits our dashboard. When we first got our Leaf, our mileage was about that, but with more driving I'm eking out more miles. Some days I average in excess of 5mpkwh. I do tend to find that if I've got a long day's driving, the first 100 miles are more economical than the rest. I think I get fed up with using my right foot very lightly.

We'll see how I get on tomorrow. I've got about 240 miles to do (Southend to Skipton) and I'm going to give the A1 a try. The last time we went north it was a no-go area for EVs so we used the M1 and dealerships. Now there are several strategically placed rapid chargers along the A1 so I'm hoping there will be no problem..
Thanks Wowbagger, that gives me something to aim for! I think I'm the same as my last 10 miles home are usually done at warp speed! :eek:

·
Registered
Kona SE
1,216 Posts
What's the maximum speed anyone has hax from their Leaf? Does it do any damage to your battery to travel at speeds in excess of 80mph?
Not sure about the battery but possibly will damage your licence.;)

I occasionally have problems connecting to the car from Carwings when I am charging. I assume this is due to the proximity of the car to a metal garage door and interfering with the signal.

For comparison I used to get 4.5 miles when I first had the car with no charger at home other than a 13A "brick". With the opportunity for fast charging I seem to be less careful and dropped to about 4.

I have a second lead from Nu-World but I tend to use this all the time. I have one of the Leaf boot organisers which looks like an expensive gimmick but the small compartment is great for throwing the lead in wet or dry.

Sorry but I gave up riding nearly 15 years ago. (Friends I used to go riding with moved away or got divorced.)
I also used to find it easier to pay for one or two hours at the weekend than commit to ownership. It was the commitment more than the cost.
(I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere:D).

Now too old and creaky for these activities. I just potter around the garden:(.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Not sure about the battery but possibly will damage your licence.;)

I occasionally have problems connecting to the car from Carwings when I am charging. I assume this is due to the proximity of the car to a metal garage door and interfering with the signal.

For comparison I used to get 4.5 miles when I first had the car with no charger at home other than a 13A "brick". With the opportunity for fast charging I seem to be less careful and dropped to about 4.

I have a second lead from Nu-World but I tend to use this all the time. I have one of the Leaf boot organisers which looks like an expensive gimmick but the small compartment is great for throwing the lead in wet or dry.

Sorry but I gave up riding nearly 15 years ago. (Friends I used to go riding with moved away or got divorced.)
I also used to find it easier to pay for one or two hours at the weekend than commit to ownership. It was the commitment more than the cost.
(I'm sure there's a joke in there somewhere:D).

Now too old and creaky for these activities. I just potter around the garden:(.
Thanks ST. I don't think our door is interfering as car is on the drive (clearly it's not as valuable to hubby as all the junk.he keeps in the garage, but that's another story!) It seems fine tonight though.

I used to do an average of about 95 on motorways in the Subaru so was really trying to figure out if Evie would take it or not. I suppose the reduction in range would probably make it impossible though.

Will have a look for a lead and see if my lovely Nissan worker friend can do anything about getting me a boot organiser too ;)

Sadly do need to change the rubber mats they gave me though. They don't fit so think they're from a gen 1 Leaf :(

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
I used to do an average of about 95 on motorways in the Subaru so was really trying to figure out if Evie would take it or not. I suppose the reduction in range would probably make it impossible though.
Speed is something we are all seduced by. It is fun to drive fast and it gets us there more quickly. Cars are safer than they have ever been so why shouldn't we drive at 80, 90, even 100 (apart from the law that is ;) )?

Basically it is because of physics. The faster we drive the greater the energy released in any accident. The greater the energy the bigger the consequences and the more people die.

This is not my opinion. It is a fact. That is just physics.

Driving an EV is one of the best ways to help habitual speeders because speeding hits range so hard. The difference between range at 60 and that at 70 is significant... between 70 and 80 is even greater and disproportionately so. If you double speed you quadruple the energy requirements to overcome drag.

Use the speed limiter or cruise control if you don't trust your right foot. It works and soon you will be out of the habit of speeding and be a lot safer and more relaxed in the process :)

In any case, driving an EV will force you to slow down because driving a Leaf at 90 will give you about 30 miles range or even less in winter!!!!

:)

·
Registered
45 Posts
Here's a few answers by my experience-

Carwings. There is a definitive lack of mobile network coverage around our house, exactly where the car sits while charging, is particularly bad, and it seems to effect every network. Could be a similar problem for you?

Miles/kwH. I was getting in the low 4's, but now i don't use the town's bypass to get to/from work and head across town I'm hitting low 5's with a best of about 5.5.

Speed. Short blast down a private road displayed 100mph. Seeing as the Leaf has no 'gearbox', I should have investigated maximum speed in reverse too. I suspect it may have a limiter.

·
Registered
45 Posts
I would recommend using the speed limiter and drive just below it's set point. Applying a constant load to the electric motor doesn't seem to be as economical as varying the effort with your foot.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I get 4:8 min these days but nearly always about 5:2 on all journeys, I consider my self a bad driver I always have the I ger there when I get there attitude, it helps being the boss at work I guess.
I say drive how you want on every journey im waiting for someone to say im a idiot and foolish for doing 30 in a 30, on the motorway I travel about 52/ 55 went from chichester to centerparks woburn and returned 5:5 miles per kwh.

Reactions: BarryP

·
Registered
377 Posts
The cruise and speed limiter seem to give a reduced range, so I tend to drive myself and keep the throttle to a position that will maintain my speed, of course lots of people im sure say look at that idiot only doing 55 personally like it if the idiots and speed merchants are not happy with me, I think dont get annoyed go round overtake me by all means

Reactions: BarryP

·
Registered
377 Posts
Paul, what I mean is when I turn the cruise on or the limiter it seems to make the range go down

·
Registered
8,106 Posts
Paul, what I mean is when I turn the cruise on or the limiter it seems to make the range go down
That is what I thought you meant :)

For me though... when I use the cruise or limiter my range generally goes UP... in other words I get better range by using cruise than not using it. This is generally on a flat route. On a hilly route I get better range using my right foot.

I realise this might go against conventional wisdom but there you are... that is what I find!!!!!

·
Registered
377 Posts
It seems to me we all have different styles of driving and opnions, of course we are all entitled to there options, of course im right and everyone else is wrong
Lol

·
Registered
Kona SE
1,216 Posts
For me though... when I use the cruise or limiter my range generally goes UP... in other words I get better range by using cruise than not using it. This is generally on a flat route. On a hilly route I get better range using my right foot.
I'm with that one as well. I am not steady with my right foot so on fairly flat roads I get better range by using cruise. When I get to any significant hill I sacrifice some speed on the climb so better under manual control.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts